SASS Wire Forum

Why do we release details...

OK...I'm not in the CIA, the State Department or the military...and never have been.

But it seems to me that there is something to be admired in the Israeli model of letting your actions speak for you when it comes to foreign asassinations.

The feeding frenzy over who shot whom with what how many times is just warming up; why not just announce "American forces today report the death of OBL", and let the details remain classified?

Why get involved in all of the speculation, conflicting recollections, rank exaggeration, etc., etc., when it's unnecessary? Why potentially expose our sources of information, our operating tactics, our equipment, etc., when the details are of no import? Why not just leave the bad guys quivering, wondering if that rattle or footstep in the night is the next hit team?

Release photos? Why? Even AQ admits that he's dead...what is to gain? If some loony claims he's alive, show me. Let him produce a "proof of life" photo.

Enough, already. This is turning into a circus.

LL

Well, ya see, while the media is all distracted by this, someone has a chance to do some really dastardly that no one will discover until some whistle blower mentions it and points out where some unusual evidence can be found (you know something like a blue dress with a stain or something).

And you would deprive all of the talking heads of a livelyhood. And think of all the brainless folks in the outlands that have nothing better to do than disagree with the obvious. Besides, gore and sex sell. Since we no longer manufacture in this country, we gotta make a buck somehow. If you doubt my words, the next time you are in the supermarket, at the check out stand, look at all the informational publications that you can purchase and enlighten yourself on such things as alien beings from outer space and Who is Who in hollyweird. Please do not delude yourself into believing that this is all real. The smell of smoke is coming from the mirror as it is reflected off of it.

I agree, covert is covert, nobody (outside the chain of command) needs to know the exact details.

It's all politics. And a slippery slope. I'd think some details are 'leaked' as a matter of justification, some as pride and smugness, some so someone can beat their chest and say 'I did this.'

Lets face it, there are a lot of people who are clamoring and hungry for every little detail, and the media is frothing at the mouth to provide it, sensationalize it, make it controversial, etc etc.

OK...I'm not in the CIA, the State Department or the military...and never have been.

But it seems to me that there is something to be admired in the Israeli model of letting your actions speak for you when it comes to foreign asassinations.

The feeding frenzy over who shot whom with what how many times is just warming up; why not just announce "American forces today report the death of OBL", and let the details remain classified?

Why get involved in all of the speculation, conflicting recollections, rank exaggeration, etc., etc., when it's unnecessary? Why potentially expose our sources of information, our operating tactics, our equipment, etc., when the details are of no import? Why not just leave the bad guys quivering, wondering if that rattle or footstep in the night is the next hit team?

Release photos? Why? Even AQ admits that he's dead...what is to gain? If some loony claims he's alive, show me. Let him produce a "proof of life" photo.

Enough, already. This is turning into a circus.

LL

For what it's worth, I agree 100%. The man's dead, I'm tickled about it, but lets move on to taking out a few more...every day...until we run out of targets. No nee to beat our chests. They'll get the message.

I wonder how much of a secret it was before it happened. Think about this, it is a wealthy residential area where many senior military officers retired to, 0100, helicopters flying around, a 20 minute fire fight, explosion (the broke chopper), and fires. No police or security forces showed up, what, did everyone just roll over and go back to sleep? No retired general called one of the bases complaining about the noise? Could it be the Pakistani government wanted him gone too?

For what it's worth, I agree 100%. The man's dead, I'm tickled about it, but lets move on to taking out a few more...every day...until we run out of targets. No nee to beat our chests. They'll get the message.

I already posted my thoughts on another thread but you're right as usual.

The fight's still on. As the SEALS say "The only easy day was yesterday".

Draw your ammo and rations gentlemen. New mission. Briefing's in 30 minutes. :FlagAm:

You 'think' they are telling you the details - I'd bet they keep the good stuff confidential.

I believe they are already on to the next target and the next after that when we hear about a 'bullseye' on the latest one.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

And you would deprive all of the talking heads of a livelyhood.

Would that that would come to pass. We'd all be better off.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

It's the impatient information age. Everybody wants to know everything and they want to know about it practically before it happens. We've become a nation of news junkies.

I think much of this started during the Vietnam War. Every night we got treated to footage of the day's best firefights along with the latest body counts. During the first Gulf War we had correspondents going live while the Tomohawks were raining down. The raid on Osama's mansion is just another chapter.

Far cry from WWII when every frame of film and every letter clacked out on a typewriter had to pass a censor.

I already posted my thoughts on another thread but you're right as usual.

The fight's still on. As the SEALS say "The only easy day was yesterday".

Draw your ammo and rations gentlemen. New mission. Briefing's in 30 minutes. :FlagAm:

Yur right UB. On a "Need to know baisis, only " +1 :FlagAm:

Archived