if thats the case then ignore this post

put a 1" dot on yer wall or shop wall or what-ever

holD your muzzel just inches away from the dot

geeeese

safey disclaimer

make surrrrrrrr itz empty

run the lever with three fingers in the lever loop

then two

then one (if your gun has been polished a tad bit)

I found that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the less fingers I work the lever with

the faster the front site settels on the dot

my cody-matic!!!!!!!

......well..............I flip the lever with just one finger in the loop

it rocks

do the test

share the results here

Don't have a Codymatic to test. Just the main match rifles I built. With a tuned Henry, '66 or '73, the thing to remember is the hand movement for the lever is NOT up and down. It's front to back. Try it, You'll like it.

Coffinmaker

I flip the lever with just one finger

Soooooooo many punchlines. :lol:

Remember our conversation yesterday about me needing more practice? This is one of the areas I need more practice on. Please remember that for our next session. ('cause you know I can't remember squat.) ;)

This is one of the areas I need more practice on.

You can only shoot as fast as you can get sights on target.

Every time you lever your rifle, attempting to go faster, you look like you are trying to rip the lever off of it.

This moves the sights all over the place - negating any benefit that results from your manipulation speed or from having a tuned or short stroked rifle.

Mike is right - with bigger, closer targets - you can be a little sloppier.

But even with big and close - controlling the movement of your sights will make a lot of difference in how fast you can drop that next round.

Yep.

I found sometime back that I do better with just two fingers in the lever than 3.

Had not tryed it with just one finger til just a few minutes ago.

Was about the same for me as the two fingers. But 2 was WAY better than 3.

But I will go out back later today, and shoot some live ammo running at speed and try just the one.

Not sure my gun is slick enough to run it with just one. (home done action work)

Well, my Marlins will allow me to use only one finger to manipulate the lever but I normally use two.

There is an annomally associated with this technique also.

When using less fingers (1 or 2) rather than 3, you will have a tendency to hold the forearm more snugg against your shoulder due to the mere fact that you have less grip control with the shooting hand. Its an automatic reaction to help keep your rifle steadier on your shoulder. Soooooo, you have to ask yeself:

1. is it the fewer fingers which aids in keeping the sights steadier

2. As Creeker mentioned, using less fingers might keep you from working the lever wildly

3. or is your heavier control of your forearm helping steady that front sight.

I think its a combination of all three. And, there may even be other factors that some of our good riflemen are knowledgable of. (I hate to end a sentence with a preposition)

Great Topic MM!

..........Widder

You can only shoot as fast as you can get sights on target.

Every time you lever your rifle, attempting to go faster, you look like you are trying to rip the lever off of it.

This moves the sights all over the place - negating any benefit that results from your manipulation speed or from having a tuned or short stroked rifle.

Mike is right - with bigger, closer targets - you can be a little sloppier.

But even with big and close - controlling the movement of your sights will make a lot of difference in how fast you can drop that next round.

Oh I know exactly what you mean and know you're 100% correct but, in the heat of battle, I revert back to my old bad habits. That's why I mentioned needing more pract..............uhhh............pra................uhhhhh.............prac.............I need to work on finessing the lever rather than muscling it. ;)

Oh I know exactly what you mean and know you're 100% correct but, in the heat of battle, I revert back to my old bad habits. That's why I mentioned needing more pract..............uhhh............pra................uhhhhh.............prac.............I need to work on finessing the lever rather than muscling it. ;)

You need a SMOOTH MARLIN and you wouldn't have to worry about having to muscle that lever..... :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Philly, have you ever worked a lever and its soooooo smooooooth that it gives you the feeling that in closes back automatically?

..........Widder

Do you put the non used fingers on the outside of the lever, or out in the air like a lady holds a teacup??

Good tips! Thanks!

DM

Do you put the non used fingers on the outside of the lever, or out in the air like a lady holds a teacup??

Good tips! Thanks!

DM

My ring finger and pinky are extended like it's high tea.

Now I am going to be self aware of this and how silly I look...

Just an add on to Widders observation - I think he is correct about the fewer fingers in the lever may make you pull the rifle in tighter.

Unlike a lot of folks - I don't go to the front end of the forearm, I am actually not that far in front of the receiver (closer to the center of gravity), but if you ever see a picture of me running the rifle - the knuckles on that hand are white from the grip and pull into my shoulder that I am applying.

Ok Mikey....and Philly...try this one..........

tape your other three fingers together...........so just the thumb and first finger are free..........

then try runnin some drills..........pickup and shoot 1 rd....pick up and shoot 2 rds...etc

let me know how?if you "feel" this changes the dynamics///?????? B)

Regards........Wolf

My, my, my... you fellars talk like it's some sorta goal ta get the "shootin'" over & done wid. Like it's a dreaded chore! Myself, I enjoy shootin', I find it's relaxin'. Why, there's many an occasion that I think my enjoyment might end too soon, I just pause, ask the RO a question, justto make sure he's payin' attention, not dozin' off like that Goody fellar! Take a breath, admire the day, enjoy the companionship of laughter, and by Gawd bug the snot outta yer friends!

Just kiddin' guys. Good discussion of the detailed mechanics of improving shooting speed.

Hey Philly, have you ever worked a lever and its soooooo smooooooth that it gives you the feeling that in closes back automatically?

..........Widder

Yep, the Codymatic I own right now is just like that. Another case of the tool being better than the craftsman holding it. :blush:

When I lock in TIGHT with either the Cody '73, or a Widdermatic or Spur Marlin, the sights wiggle side to side a little (they'd stay in a maybe 6" group at 20 yards with no effort to correct, even if I got a shot off without the sights settling), when I cycle the gun, settling where they started when the lever closes again, but not up and down at all. That's because when flicking the fingers, I'm actually pushing the lever outward, which of course translates into a front to back motion, but the fingers are going outward in a sideways arc. Body mechanics and all. Now some fast shooters that run the lever with a push-pull motion with the wrist and forearm will get different results. (again, watch the world record videos.)

Yes it makes a huge difference if when ya cycle the gun, it's so light operating ya can't even feel the rounds go through it, let alone anything resembling resistance. We ain't talking yer average halfway slick but still kinda heavy bumper jack....

Archived