SASS Wire Forum

When shooting your rifle, do you...

Thanks for all the input. I've always kept it in, just moved forward against the inside of the trigger guard, but recently had it suggested to me that it would be better to move it out to avoid disturbing the sight picture. I don't think it is disturbing my sight picture. What little movement I have is coming from levering. Thanks again!

Any disturbance of sight picture is likely from levering, and a 'seesaw" motion created by a constantly changing balance of holding pressure between the supporting and levering hands and/or too heavy a rifle action requiring too much pushing and pulling of the lever. At the front of the levering stroke yer pushing away/up, and at the back yer pulling toward/down. The ticket is to learn to "lock in TIGHT" with the supporting hand, (you don't NEED the back hand at all to hold the rifle once ya got it pegged TIGHT against yer shoulder) then levering briskly but lightly, so as not to waggle the rifle up and down. Watch any of the world record rifle runs and see how tight they wedge the rifle against the shoulder with the forwaard "support" hand, and how little it waggles regardless of how furious they lever em.

When I get it all glued together with a Spur Marlin, I can clean the Texas Star before it moves. No "waggling" going on.....

Archived