SASS Wire Forum

USA SASS Visitor Shooting in Canada

I will be traveling to Canada and would like to attend some SASS shoots sponsored by clubs in Canada. I have gotten many different opinions from Canadian officials depending on who I have spoken to. Rifles and shotguns do not appear to be an issue. However getting SA pistols into Canada to attend a shoot appears to be problematic. What needs to be done to be able to transport firearms, especially pistols, across the boarder to attend a Canadian SASS shooting event?

Mustang Wrangler

As I remember it you are not allowed to bring a barrel length 3.5" or shorter and you cannot bring a .32 Caliber. The Saturday night special caused that law. You need to get permits that are good for 60 day's as I recall and a lot of Canadian clubs will deduct the $25 cost from the entry fee at a large shoot. Suggust contacting the clubs in Canada as they come through Port Huron into Michigan a lot.

MW,

It's not all that hard. For the long guns you just need to fill out a temporary registration and pay $25.00 Canadian dollars at the border crossing. For restricted guns (handguns) you include them on the temp reg. but also need a Authorization to Transport (ATT)from the chief firearms officer of the province you will be in or travel through.

To get the ATT you send a copy of a letter from the club/match you plan to shoot, tell them where you will be staying, the border crossing you will be using and the dates of crossing, and info on the pistols you will be bringing. Then in about a week or so you will get an email containing the ATT

This link will give you more info and provides a link to the official Canadian links scroll down toward the bottem.

It sounds a lot worse than it is.

COG

http://valleyregulators.com/sass_2010.htm

MW. Just noticed were you live. If you plan on shooting more than a couple times a year in Canada you might want to get a Canadian Firearms licence, register the guns you plan on using and get an extended ATT good for five years. The Licence will cost 80.00 (ONE TIME FEE) and you will have to be a member of a Canadian gun Club to get the Extended ATT. But with that you can go to matches any time any were in the Yukon and BC. You could even travel all the way down to the lower 48 shooting matches all the way.

Google: Canadian Firearms Program. Click on Visitors/Non Residents in the left column. This will lead you to the exact information you need. Good luck and welcome to Canada. Where are you going to shoot by the way?

PM me if you want to talk ,,,,, If you include yer Phone # I can call you on my Dime ...

I have unlimited North American calling ...

Jabez Cowboy

One issue on the handguns, is that getting the permits (which can take several months) is no guarantee that you will be able to take them into Canada. At the boarder you can still be prohibited from bringing them into Canada by the Canadian authorities. Not likely but still possible.

One issue on the handguns, is that getting the permits (which can take several months) is no guarantee that you will be able to take them into Canada. At the boarder you can still be prohibited from bringing them into Canada by the Canadian authorities. Not likely but still possible.

Things may be changing for a lot of the draconian rules we have to live by.

Last night, we elected a Conservative majority government, who is a lot more friendly towards firearms owners.

It won't happen overnight, but I think you can expect to see some changes to loosen the rules.

It might depend on what province you're visiting.

A few years ago I tried to take weapons for a competition in Ontario and it was a no-go. The Federal forms were not a problem; the specific Ontario office that had to issue the Provincial forms would not answer the telephone (the message said they were very busy) and it would not take a call-back number. They did not have an e-mail address. I was DIW.

Maybe the western provinces are more professional.

SQQ

Mustang,

A few years back The Cowboy Chronicle printed an article I wrote on how to do what you're attempting. Send me your email address and I'd be happy to forward that article to you.

:FlagAm:

Archived