SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 94 new Ejector whoopin my backside

Howdy all,

Had to get a new ejector for my 38-40 early 94. Had to small down the button a bunch to get it in the hole. Not sure what the problem is. think I need to sand down the face of the spring. Did the popsicle stick and sand paper thing to the groove in the bolt. :unsure::wacko::blink:

Help,

Sam :D

I smooth out the "kink" at the ramp to the part that hits the rim as the bolt is retracted. Make sure it is not thicker than the slot in the bolt. I ground a flat spot in a large washer that I keep in the tool kit to wrap 400 grit wet or dry and smooth the slot. Also break the sharp edge at the bolt face a little. Bend the spring to remove some tension. If this is the only change to a smoothly funtioning Marlin, you should be able to get it back the way it was.

CR

Kind of hard to describe, but the ejector has to pivot in the round hole you are talking about. As you found out, the reproduction ejectors are oversize. The button has to fit into the hole so that the ejector can freely move up and down. If the sides of the button are absolutely square and the button is a tight fit in the hole, it won't move up and down freely. Put your finger on the button and push the other end of the ejector down. Feel any roughness or binding? If so, you have to contour the button so it sort of rotates like a ball in a round hole. Also, check the thickness of the button. Does it bottom in the hole? If it is bottoming out when the bolt is in it will bind. Is it sticking up to high? Same effect, if it is up to high it will drag on the bolt. After everything fits, then you can adjust the ejector spring to get smoother bolt action.

For other folks trying to help Sam, remember he is not talking about the new style Model 94s. He is talking about an antique. The ejector is quite different than the current models.

Kind of hard to describe, but the ejector has to pivot in the round hole you are talking about. As you found out, the reproduction ejectors are oversize. The button has to fit into the hole so that the ejector can freely move up and down. If the sides of the button are absolutely square and the button is a tight fit in the hole, it won't move up and down freely. Put your finger on the button and push the other end of the ejector down. Feel any roughness or binding? If so, you have to contour the button so it sort of rotates like a ball in a round hole. Also, check the thickness of the button. Does it bottom in the hole? If it is bottoming out when the bolt is in it will bind. Is it sticking up to high? Same effect, if it is up to high it will drag on the bolt. After everything fits, then you can adjust the ejector spring to get smoother bolt action.

For other folks trying to help Sam, remember he is not talking about the new style Model 94s. He is talking about an antique. The ejector is quite different than the current models.

Larsen,

Thanks, I think you just explained what is wrong, I fit it pretty well and it is in to the top of the hole. Will, see what I can do.

Sam :D

[quote

Dats a horse of a different color. Where's my eraser???

CR

Archived