SASS Wire Forum

Attention Renegade 1873 hunters

I saw a post on Gunbroker where a store in Ohio was (may still be) selling Renegades for a starting bid of $688.99 plus $35 shipping. That's $723.99 plus whatever your FFL would charge you...which seems like a deal to me. There has been much discussion about what they are and what they are capable of, but after a few folks have bought them and commented here on the Wire about them, my take is:

1) They're a Uberti much like what many of us shoot.

2) They don't have color case hardening on the receiver.

3) They have factory checkering on a straight stock gun (which is not common on other Uberti rifles)...but they also have the Beretta logo on the stock...and the stock doesn't have the crescent butt...which might be a good thing...or might not...depending on what you like.

4) The factory short stroke leaves some things to be desired.

5) A good gunsmith can make one run.

6) Uberti should hire Deuce Stevens to be their spokesperson. Watch here.

Real nice, Buck. I'm sure the rest of us who are actual SASS members AND FFL's appreciate you singling out one particular vendor who probly doesn't have anything to do with cowboy action shooting. I don't mind anyone saying what a great guy SASSmember-FFL-so-and-so is, cuz he probably supports our sports in spades. But a gunbroker ad? Come on....think, please.

Real nice, Buck. I'm sure the rest of us who are actual SASS members AND FFL's appreciate you singling out one particular vendor who probly doesn't have anything to do with cowboy action shooting. I don't mind anyone saying what a great guy SASSmember-FFL-so-and-so is, cuz he probably supports our sports in spades. But a gunbroker ad? Come on....think, please.

Manatee, should you have any question that I will attempt to send SASS shooters to SASS supporters when I know of it, you need only look here at a post from last evening. I certainly don't know where all the deals are out there on Renegades. Perhaps they're plentiful everywhere else, but around here, they're not to be found for a reasonable price, but then again, there are no SASS FFL fellers around here.

I certainly want to support those who support us (and you certainly do) at every opportunity and had I known that these guns were/are available from SASS/CAS FFL's for similar a similar price, I would certainly send the shooters there first. Since I did not know of SASS FFL's who had these guns at all, let alone for this price, I was simply trying to help out those newbies (or oldies) that think they cannot afford a 73.

Are these Renegades available from SASS FFL's at this kind of price? If so, the smart thing for a soul to do would be buy one from a SASS FFL and if that FFL happened to be a gunsmith to boot, I'd recommend they let the gunsmith tune that puppy first. And while they're at it, put a Grabber sight on it like Buck D. Law (that's me!) does on his rifles. I really do and I recommend them to all my friends...both of 'em. :D

Seriously, can Renegades be had from SASS FFL's at a similar price?

Actually, they can if you include the shipping and transfer fee costs that normally add to the Gunbroker prices. I've sold more than a couple of these myself, although the incentive was to get the gunsmithing work. If a feller just wanted the stock rifle, then he can do his own research.

But, I digress. Almost every cowboy gunsmith I know can acquire these rifles around this price. It's a limited bluebird though as Beretta appears to be getting out of the cowboy rifle business....either that or destroying their dealer network (gun shops will think long and hard before they buy Beretta products in the future.....similar to the USFA marketing screw ups of the last few years).

Archived