SASS Wire Forum

Have to get a 66 or 73

Buckhorn Woodie

OK so I don't....Have to get a 66 or 73 but I want on darn bad :rolleyes:

I am leaning to a 66 ( in 38)just because they are so darn pretty.

I am also leaning to getting one already slicked up.

If you were going to buy one were would you go to get it?

BW, '73s are great, no doubt. But I really love the '66, just something about them. It would take a lot to get me to part with mine.

Joe Briscoe is a great guy to do business with. Cowboy Shooters Supply

Yup. Jim Lincoln at Cowboyos and Indian Store or Joe Alves at Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon. If neither is "close," good excuse for a nice drive.

Coffinmaker

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if'n ya wanna drive a little. Come on over to the East Coast & visit the two good smiths here. Ya know, Cody & Spurs.

I use a million mile Rossi 92 in 357 & a Marlin in 45 Schofield.

Any of the top Cowboy gunsmiths that sell tuned rifles would be good. And I would recommend buying a tuned rifle.

They 66 sure is pretty, but as mentioned, just a little harder to take apart for cleaning. I really like mine, but I've learned a lot about it.

With the 73 with it's removable side plates, you merely remove one screw, remove the side plates.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/73Carbine.htm

Then you can remove the links, etc. If you want to tear down further, you can lift the lever and elevator springs off their position to remove pressure from them. That pressure is also applied to the "bolt or screw" that holds the finger lever on. So you do need to release that tension before removing the lever. But you can do it without lossening the screws and thus avoid having to readjust the spring tension each time you put the rifle back together.

With the 66, to remove the side plate, you must remove both the side plate screw and the finger lever screw. If you do not remove the tension on the lifter and finger lever springs, you will have more trouble removing the finger lever screw. Plus you risk eventually stripping the hole in the frame that receives the finger lever screw.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Model66.html

So for the 66, you should unscrew the tension screws for the finger lever and elevator lifter springs. That means that each time you fully take down the rifle for cleaning you will have to readjust the spring tension. If it left too lose, it will possible jam. If too tight, it will wear the parts and that can cost upwards of $100 for fixing or replacing the finger lever and about half that for the elevator lever repair/replacement.

If you are not one that needs to clean the gun too often, then you still may want a 66. If you like really clean guns and shoot often. . .

Also, do you shoot where it is pretty dusty. I remember shooting in the great plains and with just the short time my rifle was waiting for the beep, dust blew in and pretty well got my 73 - I had forgot to use the dust cover. Well, the 66 doesn't have a dust cover. Generally not a problem as you can merely use a "sock) while it is in your gun cart. But that time in the dusty plains, I wanted all the protection I could get.

There's a quick way to clean either a '66 or a '73 without removing ANY side plates. Called "Break Cleaner."

Coffinmaker

PS: Don't forget to spray it with oil after the BC evaporates.

They 66 sure is pretty, but as mentioned, just a little harder to take apart for cleaning.

Take apart? First time I ever cleaned my '66 I had it apart in about three seconds flat. Took two phone calls, a stack of cryin' towels, three bushels of cuss words and a six pack to get it back together though. Just ask Ace of Hearts, he'll verify the phone calls. :wacko:

Archived