SASS Wire Forum

6 to 8 weeks to fix my marlin that's just great!

MMJ#89586

Well as you know my marlin wouldn't load properly, or eject so I took it back to cabelas and now they are telling me it will take 6 to 8 weeks for repair. That means it won't be ready for my next match! What should I do? I only shot it once and it was less than a week old when I took it back.

... That means it won't be ready for my next match! What should I do? ...

Buy a second rifle!

Nows a good time to buy that 'backup' rifle.

I don't mean for that to sound sarcastic cause it ain't. Alot of us have 2 or more of everything....just in case.

I do feel for ya.

..........Widder

Buy a second rifle!

While that might sound like a smart-ass answer, it's not. Alot of people have backup guns. Stuff will break, that happens in this game. Yes, it sucks, but that's life. Yes, it does cost $$$$$. I wish it didn't, but.......

Check your local gun shops. They get used guns in all the time and you can get some good deals. Let them know what you what you're looking for.

Hang in there, Pard. We've ALL been there.

Another rifle is not a bad idea, but probably a little too early to buy due to both budget and lack of time to decide what you would really enjoy most as a back up.

Also, talk with your pards and they will probably loan you a rifle till you get yours back.

A new shooter that we are trying to get going went through the same thing, same rifle from the same place and everything. The service center they sent it to (which is probably what they will do with yours) ran some factory .357 ammot through it and deemed it acceptable. Sent it back to him still in it's POS form. My only advice is that when you get the rifle back and if it's not cured send it to a cowboy smith who knows what we need from our guns and have him straighten it out. Whats acceptable to us and whats acceptable to the factory are two different things. I suggest Longhunter at www.longhunt.com . Call and talk to Jim about your issue. I know it sucks that you need to go through this with a brand new gun but there are damn few guns out there that will work well for CAS right from the box anyway. Don't get discouraged, you will get it ironed out.

Heh, heh, my Marlin 1894 CBC repair/rebuild took 5 months, 8 days... but it came out more or less OK in the end.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,70366.0.html

A new shooter that we are trying to get going went through the same thing, same rifle from the same place and everything. The service center they sent it to (which is probably what they will do with yours) ran some factory .357 ammot through it and deemed it acceptable. Sent it back to him still in it's POS form. My only advice is that when you get the rifle back and if it's not cured send it to a cowboy smith who knows what we need from our guns and have him straighten it out. Whats acceptable to us and whats acceptable to the factory are two different things. I suggest Longhunter at www.longhunt.com . Call and talk to Jim about your issue. I know it sucks that you need to go through this with a brand new gun but there are damn few guns out there that will work well for CAS right from the box anyway. Don't get discouraged, you will get it ironed out.

Well I'm not to concerned about them running some rounds through it, that thing wouldn't cycle if my life depended on it.

I was at a local gun store afew years ago with my wife and she spotted a 357 Marlin 1894 CP carbine. It was one that had the magaported barrel and I think an 16 1/4 barrel. She felt it would make a nice little gun to have in her car and around the ranch house. After paying around $500.00 for it we took it out to the shooting range to shoot. First thing out of the box the action was rough and when she tried to feed a cartridge thur it it was almost impossible to get it to feed and once fired the lever did not want to work to eject the case. After trying both 357 and 38 special and ever brand of ammo we had it was plain the gun was never going to function without a lot of repairs from the start.

As others looked on and as my wife stood up from the shooting bench, I watched as she walked over to a 55 gallon drum that was the trash can for the range and watched her pitch the new $500.00 Marlin in the trash can and in no uncertian terms she expressed what she thought about the gun and the Marlin inspector and very idea that such a piece of trash would ever leave the factory like that and that and that the trash can was the proper place for a piece of junk like that.

Without saying a word I knew she was right and we got in the car and drove home.

Texas Man

I was at a local gun store afew years ago with my wife and she spotted a 357 Marlin 1894 CP carbine. It was one that had the magaported barrel and I think an 16 1/4 barrel. She felt it would make a nice little gun to have in her car and around the ranch house. After paying around $500.00 for it we took it out to the shooting range to shoot. First thing out of the box the action was rough and when she tried to feed a cartridge thur it it was almost impossible to get it to feed and once fired the lever did not want to work to eject the case. After trying both 357 and 38 special and ever brand of ammo we had it was plain the gun was never going to function without a lot of repairs from the start.

As others looked on and as my wife stood up from the shooting bench, I watched as she walked over to a 55 gallon drum that was the trash can for the range and watched her pitch the new $500.00 Marlin in the trash can and in no uncertian terms she expressed what she thought about the gun and the Marlin inspector and very idea that such a piece of trash would ever leave the factory like that and that and that the trash can was the proper place for a piece of junk like that.

Without saying a word I knew she was right and we got in the car and drove home.

Texas Man

This doesn't make me feel better

It's very hard to watch a new to cowboy action shooting go through this part of the game. They have decided to get in to the game and have to put out a lot of hard earned cash to buy guns and support gear. Then to not have it work out of box.

Those of us who have been in the game for a while know that a new gun for this game may need some attention by a good gunsmith. Not just any good gunsmith but a cowboy action gunsmith. This is not to put down good gunsmiths that don't work on cowboy guns. They most likely specialize in some other types of guns. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Guns right out of the box may do okay but we know that slicking up the moving parts or lightening up the springs will make it run easier and more reliable for this game.

Most guns work for plinking cans and punching paper but we run them faster, harder and more often than most.

A back up gun is a good thing. But just starting out may very well be out of the question. I agree with talking to the shooters at your local range. I would be surprised if they didn't help you out with several guns you can borrow until you get yours back.

What I would expect is to get a gun back that passes the factory standard of a working gun. It still may need some attention to work as a cowboy action gun. I am also sure that there will be a cowboy or two at your local range that can talk you through some of the things you can do to get your gun working better with out having to go full out on a gunsmith until you're ready for it.

MMJ:

If its any encouragement, Marlins can be setup to run as fast as you can run it plus, be as reliable as any rifle on the firing line.

Ifn when you get it back and it isn't to your satisfaction, I would suggest you take Deuce's advice and get hold of LongHunter. I've handled a couple of his Marlins and they are smooth and reliable.

There may even be someone local who can fix you up just as well as anyone. Ask around.

Best regards

..........Widder

Start buying backups for everything just as soon as you can. You don't have to buy new guns. You can get some good deals on used but not abused in the Classifieds. I learned the hard way. Had a 73 elevator spring break and lock up my 73 during a stage @ Comancheria Days one year. Had to take it apart & get the broken spring out. I could still use it by holding the lever up tight against the frame. Cimarron was set up with some parts but didn't bring any 73 springs. I came home after the match & bought a used 92. That was many years ago. I have two SxS, two 97s, 6 wheel guns and 3 rifles.

This doesn't make me feel better

MMJ, most of the recent production Marlins I've seen have been pretty rough. They can be made into great rifles, but out of the box recently they haven't been too good.

Check out Marauders site for good info on slicking one up. The Widdermatic conversion is real nice.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Here is a video of me shooting my Widdermatic, I'm not fast but the rifle works good.

As others have said I'm sure others in your club would be happy to loan or share a rifle during a match.

Good Luck.

Randy

I am having the same trouble with a Rossi 92 in 357....The tomato stake just never was right out of the box...I have been using my old Win 94 trapper that will run any kind of round that I want to stick in it...but with the long stroke and the all the darn safeties it is SLOW....but the way I shoot I Don't know that a race gun would matter much : :blush: ...The Rossi is back at Rossi now they just decided last week that it was not worth repairing so they are going to replace it. When I get it back I will more then likely trade it off for a 44mag or a 45LC as I am hoping to pick up a slicked up 66 or 73 this summer.

Now I am a new guy too but from all I have talked to and what I have seen rifles just don't come out of the box ready to play this game. I have a Rossi 92 in 44 mag that I'm using for WB now that runs fine But I think It will be going to Nate for a tune up.

I bought a new Marlin 1894 in .357 in March. It ran .357 ammo smooth but I want to shoot .38 through it...and besides the tube only holds 9 .357 rounds. Needed to have 10 rifle rounds to shoot per stage so I could not use the .357 rounds. I've had trouble cycling .38s though it smoothly, every stage I had to worry about whether or not the rounds would cycle while at the same time try and shoot quickly and accurately. Naturally I was not successful with either with this weapon.

However, today I had a breakthrough. Another pard here on the Wire had a posting yesterday about loading .38s to an OAL of 1.53 using 158 RNFP. I had been loading .38s to an OAL of 1.44 which is where the crimp line is on these 158 RNFP. The posting here on the wire detailed about crimping below the crimp line but above the lube line. So, I made up 10 .38 rounds with no powder or primers and proceeded to test cycle these through my Marlin and low and behold they all cycled smoothly with no hang ups. As long as I did not light stroke the action the rounds have cycled successfully through my new Marlin. So, I then loaded up 50 rounds of .38 at an OAL of 1.53 with 158 RNFP bullets and shot them this afternoon. All 50 shot well and cycled quickly though my Marlin. At last I can be a little more confident shooting now that I can depend on the rifle to do its part and I can focus more on doing my part.

All of this above drivel to make the point that perhaps the Marlin you sent back to them to fix may be ok, it might no like the shorter .38 loads that most of us are trying to run through it. You might try and load .38s with a 158 RNFP bullet to an OAL of 1.53 but crimping it below the crimp

Howdy,

Pard, email me with the location and schedule of your matches for the next month

or two. I might be able to drop by with an extra rifle.

If local pards wont hep ya outand our schedules line up...I might be able to hep.

No promises but when and where is your next match?

Best

CR

Another rifle is not a bad idea, but probably a little too early to buy due to both budget and lack of time to decide what you would really enjoy most as a back up.

Also, talk with your pards and they will probably loan you a rifle till you get yours back.

Bingo!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Fixed/Rebuilt one of these new Remmie/Marlins for a pard It took over 6 hours of work ,,,,, I charged him 40% of my going shop rate ...

He now has a gun that feeds and functions as it should for this game .... But I think that ALL new guns should be expected to be at least able to load and fire the ammo they are intended to shoot ,,,, Without needing a smith...

I sent pictures and my comments to The New Marlin address ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ain't heard anything back as yet ....

Jabez Cowboy

Yep, I love my Marlin now that it's back from Longhunter.(Husband and I even took a day to drive the 4hour trip over to his new shop, had a great visit and headed back) Now if my skills will just catch up to the new action job!!!!The word is out, and just wait, a rifle will come into your life at a price you can afford...we call it a God Thing!!!!!! :)

Archived