SASS Wire Forum

Hey Widder! The Barnstormer Mark III

Last year we had a hand in the creation fo the first automatic HB bullet mould for use in the Master Caster. Well, the prototype mould, made of brass, was about whipped after 40,000 bullets, and we'd been thinking about some minor tweaks we'd like to make to the Barnstormer bullet anyways, so a couple of months ago we got with a couple of real talented folks, Steve Brooks the mould maker, and Erik Ohlen the automatic mould magician, and had em make a new Barnstormer bullet mould out of iron.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/2011-05-01_16-57-27_316.jpg

In the pic ya see a Laser Cast 250 on the left for comparison, the Barnstormer Mark II out of the original Master Caster brass mould (the one that's about whipped), and on the right is the new bullet, the Barnstormer Mark III. Slight changes to the nose shape, to the bearing length (longer), and to the hollow base shape (more a spitzer shaped cavity, thinner skirt, tapered ogive cavity that means the bullets drop off the mould better and will obdurate nicer in the rifling.

Erik Ohlen, the magician that converts the moulds to automatic, calls my bullet "almost impossible to cast", with that deep hollow base and thin skirt, and I tell him "It's all about timing", meaning ya have to give the mould time to leach the heat out of the lead, and have the mould hotter'n a randy billygoat when the next pour runs in, or they don't fill out worth beans. But if ya mind the timing, this mould makes excellent bullets. Kudos to Steve Brooks and Erik Ohlen for making my ideas work. ;)

Geat lookin bullet AJ. Congratulations on another top notch creation.

For those who have never tried this bullet in your C45S cases, you don't know what your missing.

This is my favorite bullet in the C45S case and I actually started shooting my .45 Ruger Vaq more often because of this bullet and the performance it gives in CAS.

AJ, looks like I'm gona need some of these when production geets underway.

Thanks for all you do!

..........Widder

Way to go AJ. I love my Cowboy Special casings....guess I'll need to try them bullets.

KK

AJ,

What's the weight of that bullet ........... and .......... when 'er you gonna be able to ship a couple of thousand??? Or ....... more :rolleyes::unsure:

Coffinmaker

AJ,

What's the weight of that bullet ........... and .......... when 'er you gonna be able to ship a couple of thousand??? Or ....... more :rolleyes::unsure:

Coffinmaker

The original Barnstormer was 128. The Mark II, now obsolete (the mould is whipped) ran 125 and change. The new one runs 130 grains, but is still a net improvement with the longer bearing surface and thinner skirt for better obduration. It'll be next week before I have some made up to sell. (Belly's still sore, which I found out after making 500 or so bullets yesterday.) I gotta update the website too.....

Archived