SASS Wire Forum

shot and powder separator found one

Anyone have a shot and powder separator?Let me know who sells them or how to make one.

A shotshell wad? :lol:

Never seen a shot/powder separator. What would work to recover the shot, which is the most expensive by far, is to winnow in a breeze. If you really wanted to catch the powder, you might be able to lay out a clean sheet in the direction the breeze will carry it. If the breeze is not blowing enough, augment with a window or desk fan.

A suitable separator for a large amount of shot and powder might be to cut a desk-fan size hole in a larger cardboard box, on the side near bottom. Put one pan directly under a small opening for feeding the mix. Might even need to insert a 2 inch PVC pipe through which you feed the mix (to keep the powder from blowing back out the feed hole. Mix drops down in front of air stream, shot falls straight down to a pan. Powder blows over to other half of box, and drops out into another large pan as the air escapes out of a large hole in the top of the box as far away from the fan as possible. May have to install baffles to make it work well. Adjust fan speed so you don't float the powder out with the escaping air. Because each powder has different size, shape and density of granules, you would have to do lots of adjusting to get it right.

Commercially, this would be done with a series of forced-air cyclones. If you have a few hundred thousand bux to set up a series of proper-sized cyclones, I could engineer it for you. :)

Good luck, GJ

There was some on ebay, but I missed them.red and green. did not sell ,ended but I was in Orange at a work day.He may list them again.Just thought someone on here might have one.

If it can be messed up I can do it.Just go my loader running today. I forgot the wad to many times.I loaded 3 boxes today but got powder and shot mixed to many times. I have a match me and a dumba--.

Well, first determine what diameter your pellets are:

Shot size diameter (inches) diameter (mm)

.......6............... .109................2.77.....

...... 7............... .100................2.59.....

..... 7.5............... .094.............. 2.39.....

......8................. .089.............. 2.26.....

......8.5............... .085.............. 2.16.....

......9................. .079...............2.01.....

Then, go online to McMaster Carr (mcmastercarr.com??) and query up something like "screen sizes". Then buy a small piece of the size screen that will do it for you. Steal your wife's Springform cake pan or (saves wear and tear on your butt) build a simple square wood form and staple the screen onto it. Then pour in your powder/shot mixture and shake it over a newspaper or other container. Shot should stay on the screen and powder should drop through.

Please send royalties for this invention to:

Cat Brules, c/o my SASS account.

I used a nylon stocking over the end of a shop vac hose and held it close enough to suck up the powder, but not the shot. The powder will stay in the end of the vac hose until you turn it off over a suitable container. I filled my shot hopper with powder (or the other way around, I can't remember).

If you are using smokeless this may be what you're looking for.

http://www.precisionreloading.com

The Separator" (Red)

Code: SE4RED

Price: $12.99

This unique tool separates shot and powder simultaneously from misloads. Separated materials can then be poured back into your hopper for reuse. Recommended for lead shot (no smaller than # 9) and smokeless powder only! No steel shot or black powder.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

If you are using smokeless this may be what you're looking for.

http://www.precisionreloading.com

The Separator" (Red)

Code: SE4RED

Price: $12.99

This unique tool separates shot and powder simultaneously from misloads. Separated materials can then be poured back into your hopper for reuse. Recommended for lead shot (no smaller than # 9) and smokeless powder only! No steel shot or black powder.

Must be a common problem,..they are out of stock! But that is a usefull item, I need one too.

thats it .thanks

I use the plastic?? screen door material that is so common now. A small amount of the powder will actually pass through but for the most part the powder does not move over the screen very well while the shot just rolls off into a container. I can usually separate a fairly large amount in a couple of minutes with just two or three passes of the shot over the screen to finish. Oh I am using ff black powder.

They list them as 2 different items, 1 red, 1 green. Currently it looks like green is in stock & red ones are not. They are most likely plastic.

Someone I believe is making a sifter for BP granuales sizes that should work if you you are using BP. Or as has been said, home made project for the week.

You might find this interesting for tearing down bad rounds:

D-Loader Shotshell Dismantler

Code: DDDL111

Price: $16.99

Got mine today and it works so good.I dumped #8 shot and powder in it just to do it.Thanks Pards.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

This is funny,..I was poking around Thrift stores yesterday, and on the shelf was a flour grater, about a coffee cup in size. It had a lever on the handle that drove a small X shped piece of metal across a screen to sift the flour/sugar or what ever. It was $.99 , and I took it home and it is perfect for one or two errant loads where I forgot to put the wad in.

I got the red one. And the thing about it is made in the USA. It looks like a 2ga shot shell. It works really well.

I use a plastic coffee can lid...drill a hole in one end of it just big enough for the shot...pour the mix in the other end and roll it around like you are panning for gold...(keep your finger or thumb over the hole until you are ready to pour out the shot. the powder should stay in the other end of the lid.

Archived