SASS Wire Forum

Texas State Championship Comancheria Days 2011

Grouchy Spike

Cowboys and Cowgirls, the Pot Luck Hamburger dinner on the evening of Friday May 13 has been CHANGED to a Chicken and Sausage Gumbo dinner. Squawty Bawdy, the cowgirl from Junction, Texas is cooking up this one-dish cajun meal, and providing rice and cornbread too. This ain't no tomato based gumbo, it's the real cajun roux-based gumbo! But Squawty sez that she'll have the cajun seasoning on the side if you want to spice up your gumbo. And some File (fee lay) too if you want it. Don't know what's File? It's ground sassafras leaves. Important for authentic gumbo.

If you want to bring a dish to share, bring a desert or salad to compliment the gumbo!

Cowpokes, there are fourteen (14) more spaces available for the Texas State Match!

If your plans now enable you to attend, visit the Texican Rangers website <www.texicanrangers.org> and look in the newsletter link for the registration form.

The range on the Stieler Ranch is ready to shoot!

Hey cowpokes, we have also made a few updates to the Schedule of Events for the

Comancheria Days - SASS Texas State Championship Match (May 12-15)

so here is the complete schedule for your info. :D See you on the Range.

2011 Schedule of Events

Wednesday, May 11

8:30am – 12:30pm RO I class

1:00pm – 4:00pm RO II class

Thursday, May 12

9:00am – 5:00pm Registration and Drawing for Door Prizes

9:00am – 4:30pm Side Match Competitions

10:00am – 12:00pm Plainsman Match (3 stages)

11:30am – 1:30pm ***BBQ Lunch Available for Sale***

1:00pm – 4:00pm Wild Bunch Match (3 stages)

Friday, May 13

7:15am – 12:00pm Registration

8:00am - 4:30pm Drawing for Door Prizes

8:00am Mandatory Shooter Meeting Posses 1 - 10

8:30am Judging begins for best Ladies’ & Men’s shooting costume

8:30am – 11:30pm 5 Stages of Main Match Competition Posses 1 – 10

12:15pm Mandatory Shooter Meeting Posses 11 – 20

12:30pm Judging continues for best Ladies’ & Men’s shooting costume

12:30pm 5 Stages of Main Match Competition Posses 11 - 20

5:00pm Potluck Dinner (Gumbo&Cornbread furnished by Texican Rangers)

Side Match Awards & Shooters’ Costume Awards

(Held behind the office, at the picnic tables)

Saturday, May 14

8:00am Mandatory Shooter Meeting Posses 11 - 20

8:15am – 12:00pm 5 Stages of Main Match Competition Posses 11 – 20

11:30am Mandatory Shooter Meeting Posses 1 - 10

11:45am – 4:00pm 5 Stages of Main Match Competition Posses 1 - 10

6:00pm Doors Open for Banquet @ Farm Bureau in Fredericksburg

6:30pm Banquet & Awards Ceremony

Sunday, May 15

8:30am - 9:00am Cowboy Church with the Reverend Jackson (No, not that one.)

9:15am Shooter Meeting

9:15am – 12:00pm Master Gunfighter, Team Shoot and Couples Competitions

For more information, contact Red Scott…..keith@gillits.com…..210-316-0199

Or go to www.texicanrangers.com

Cowboys and cowgirls, there is room for about nine (9) more shooters to even up the posses!

Check your schedule, come on over if you can.

Cowboys and cowgirls, there is room for about nine (9) more shooters to even up the posses!

Check your schedule, come on over if you can.

Did I read something about an updated posse list coming out?

Don't know, changes are still happening, some new shooters have registered. MEM has been busy with work, workdays, shooter packets, and registration, That update may have to wait until the 11th.

Don't know, changes are still happening, some new shooters have registered. MEM has been busy with work, workdays, shooter packets, and registration, That update may have to wait until the 11th.

I'm not complaining. I was just curious.

I know y'all have all been working hard to put on a great match.

I am looking forward to this one more than most.

So many nice people to visit with.

4 more days of work

I'm not complaining. I was just curious.

I know y'all have all been working hard to put on a great match.

I am looking forward to this one more than most.

So many nice people to visit with.

4 more days of work

Whatever posse you're on, I'm looking forward to seeing you, your lovely daughters, and old "whats his name" again.

Whatever posse you're on, I'm looking forward to seeing you, your lovely daughters, and old "whats his name" again.

I'm on posse #15

I was surprised to see you were not on posse #1 or #11

I'm looking forward to seeing you too

I promise I will try real hard not to get a "Minor Safety for Shooting While Blonde"

That still makes me laugh

Cowboys and Cowgirls,

Here's the NOAA weather forecast for Comfort, Texas, about 8 miles south of Stieler Ranch. There's a 20% probability of rain on Thursday, and winds of 5 mph. Two years ago the winds were so strong that the Long Range shooters were aiming a couple of feet off the side of the target.

The weather for main match days is looking good with temps in the high 80s. Great shooting weather! And weather for the Pot Luck Gumbo Dinner on Friday night looks good too. Bring guns, ammo, and an appetite!!!!

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88. South wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 86. South wind around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 66.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 89.

Cowboys and Cowgirls,

Here's the NOAA weather forecast for Comfort, Texas, about 8 miles south of Stieler Ranch. There's a 20% probability of rain on Thursday, and winds of 5 mph. Two years ago the winds were so strong that the Long Range shooters were aiming a couple of feet off the side of the target.

The weather for main match days is looking good with temps in the high 80s. Great shooting weather! And weather for the Pot Luck Gumbo Dinner on Friday night looks good too. Bring guns, ammo, and an appetite!!!!

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88. South wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 86. South wind around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 66.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 89.

20% chance of rain. But I look at it as 80% it won't <_<

Getting the camper loaded and ready to go today.

Leaving out of here EARLY Wed mourning. :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to it. Love shooting at new places I have not shot at before.

Bringing something for the Pot Luck Dinner. Don't know what. :wacko:

But will bring something. Most likly something sweet.

20% chance of rain. But I look at it as 80% it won't <_<

Getting the camper loaded and ready to go today.

Leaving out of here EARLY Wed mourning. :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to it. Love shooting at new places I have not shot at before.

Bringing something for the Pot Luck Dinner. Don't know what. :wacko:

But will bring something. Most likly something sweet.

Since I know what a good cook Sierra is ....

please make sure I get some of whatever y'all bring.

We are looking forward to seeing y'all and all of our other friends.

Have a safe trip. See you Thursday morning.

The Ghosts plan to arrive Wednesday afternoon at the RV park in Comfort. See ya Thursday morning for the side matches. Oh...and my 1911 is hot!

Ghost

3 more work days for me :angry: cuz if'n I take the youngen outta school for more than just Thursday and Friday they'll have me in front of the JP or some such for truancy. :rolleyes: So, we'll be heading out early Thursday morning and (hopefully) gettin' in before the side matches finish. Mapquest says 6.5 hours, so prolly around 1:30 or 2:00.

I'll bring somethin' for the pot luck, but I promise to make it "store bought," cuz ya'll don't wanna test my cookin' skills.....(unless we're talkin' about "whop" biscuits....I can cooks me some "whop" biscuits) :lol: .

We can't wait!

Chick

Hey cowpokes, we have room on the posses for a couple or three more shooters as we even out the posses.

Sales of extra banquet tickets is slightly under estimates, so we can handle a few more shooters at the banquet hall.

So if you've been thinking about coming, but didn't know if there was room, send me a PM by 5 am Wednesday Morning. After that I'll be at the range. The officers are already there, putting the last minute touches on the range, getting ready for your arrival.

Here's a shot of the new Blazing Saddles where one of the side matches is conducted:

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/spike41/BlazingSaddlesS.jpg

Weather forecast for Comfort, Texas. Near perfect shooting weather! The probability of rain is low; the storm cells have been small and pass quickly if they reach eastern Kerr County. The few that we've had dried up and didn't reach the ranch.

The ground is so dry that if we did have rain, it will be absorbed quickly. A sprinkle would be welcome to knock down the dust and grow some green grass!

Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Cloudy, with a high near 82. South wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind between 10 and 15 mph becoming calm.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86. Calm wind becoming south southeast between 10 and 15 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 88. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. South wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86. Southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85.

Weather is looking better for main match!

Wednesday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Cloudy, with a high near 84. South wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. South southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Cloudy, with a high near 85. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind between 5 and 10 mph becoming calm.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 86. Calm wind becoming north between 10 and 15 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. North wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 81. North northeast wind around 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Northeast wind around 10 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. East northeast wind around 10 mph.

Last day at work today. Heading out early in the morning. Gonna be a good time.

Well, yes, sort of. :unsure: Have you seen who is on your posse? ;)

I'm teaching 1st graders all day.

I love my little ones but I'm ready to play with grown ups!!

4:00 won't come fast enough

I am here. :PB)

Left out from home about 4am

Pulled ito RV park about 11am.

The Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park.

Got everything hooked up. Then went into town and got some

really good German Food. (the area is known for it)

Was going to go for a nice walk on the Nature Trail here at the park.

But it is now raining. Pretty darn hard.

FIRST UPDATE :excl:

As of right now. I am tied for the lead in not only Duelist. But for Overall also. :rolleyes:

Ok. SO it has not even started. But this is as close as I get to either one. :huh::blink:

FIRST UPDATE :excl:

As of right now. I am tied for the lead in not only Duelist. But for Overall also. :rolleyes:

Ok. SO it has not even started. But this is as close as I get to either one. :huh::blink:

B) Me too and I'm not even entered!!

I'm lockin' the doors at work right now, and we will be headin' out early in the a.m.

Guess you and I are tied as it stands right now, Al? :lol: That's the closest I'll be, too. :rolleyes:

See ya'll in the hill country tomorrow.

Chick

Rain did not last long.

Most all went north of here.

Nice little nature trail to walk here at the park.

Was nice to move around some after the drive today.

Hello the Camp,

Please note the message from Texican Rangers' President:

On behalf of the Texican Rangers I want to say a very big THANK YOU to everyone for participating in and supporting the Texican Rangers' Comancheria Days 2011, the SASS Texas State Championship. Words cannot express my gratitude to everyone for all the hard work put into the event, and especially to the shooters for making the shoot such a success. We were blessed to have 12 states and two continents represented at the match. The storm that blew in Thursday morning caused a little delay with side matches, and even caused problems with some side match workers being unable to get to the shoot, but the others stepped up and covered the event (many worked ALL day). Thank you cowboys and cowgirls, for making that trip to Stieler Ranch! Congratulations to Texas Rick O Shay and Hey You, the men's and women's Texas State Champions; and to the State Champions in all the categories. Red Scott, President

aka Keith Reynolds

Archived