SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman question

Clueless Bob

I remember reading in the chronicle a while back about someone shooting a Smith in the Plainsman competition. He also stated that the Smith wasn't really a legal firearm. I may have misunderstood, which is easy for me. I have looked in the handbook and cannot see any real reason it would not be allowed. It fits the time period. The only thing I can guess would be the ammo. It will require a cap to be used to fire it. Again, I cannot find anywhere in the handbook which states this is not allowed.

I have shot in a couple of Plainsman events using my Burnside, which no one has ever complained. I would like to use it if I get lucky and make a "Big Name Match", but I will shoot another firearm if I have too. Needless to say, speed is out the door, but the style points would be off the scale. :D

So I guess my question would be,

Burnside, Legal or Not Legal???

Not sure what a Burnside is? It was a carbine designed by Ambrose Burnside, also first NRA President, during the Civil War. It is considered the first true breech loader type firearm. It fires a 56cal projectile from an odd looking case. Mine rounds look like an ice cream cone. It too requires a cap to be used to fire the round.

Supper is ready so if anymore info is needed, you can goggle "Burnside Carbine".

Thanks in advance.

THE PLAINSMAN

• Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle.

SHB p.17

The ONLY SASS regs pertaining to single-shot rifles are in the Long Range Competition section (SHB p.18):

• “Rifle Caliber” competition rifles must use traditional, period, rimmed cartridges. No cartridge chambered for use in any SASS approved main match revolver or rifle may be used in the “Rifle Caliber” competition, except the .56-50. Thus, .30-30 (.30 WCF), .38-55 Marlin & Ballard, .43 Spanish, or .45-70 Government cartridges are legal, while a .375 Winchester, .444 Marlin, .32-20, or .44-40 are not legal.

The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted above under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the exception Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger.

Archived