SASS Wire Forum

Choices For a Non SASS Hunting Handgun

Smithy

In SASS caliber wise save the 12 ga, everything I do is 45 LC. Rifle, pistol, doesn't matter it's 45 LC. So at one time I had a Ruger Alaskan in 454 (but you could shoot 45 LC out of it). I let that piece get out from under me and ended up with a Sig P232. Life was supposed to be grand until I figured out that I could not manipulate the slide unless I stood on the gun and had a buddy help me. (not good in a carry/home situation) so I was in the process to sell the Sig and once again purchase a Ruger Alaskan 2 1/2" 454 for my house gun. I couldn't find one at all period and neither could my local dealer. He did happen to have an Alaskan in 44 mag. I ended up with a deal I couldn't refuse with the Sig in trade for a majority of the Alaskan and am now the owner of a 44 mag Ruger Alaskan.

I now figure the 45 LC will serve my reloading/cowboy shooting needs and I'll just buy the ammo for the house gun for as little as I would be shooting it. I then got to thinking about a hunting handgun in that same caliber, 44 magnum. Being a fan of Rugers I took a look at what they had to offer and came up with two models that might fill the bill. Now the largest game I have ever hunted was coastal deer and Wyoming antelope, but to be honest the most likely recipient of a handgun delivered 44 mag slug would be feral pig. I know that hogs have been taken with this caliber so I'm not stretching my hopes by choosing it and certainly since it would also be probably at one of the fine California guided ranches vs. on my own.

I'm now in a bit of a quandary as my existing knowledge base has me familiar with my cowboy guns; Ruger Bisley Vaquero's and my former and present house guns; Ruger Alaskan's. The two hunting handguns I've narrowed it down to are the following; Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkBisleyHunter/models.html or the next choice; Ruger Super Redhawk http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/models.html

I'm just not sure which would be the better choice. The Redhawk holds the same amount of rounds but is double action and reloads quicker. Then again if I need a seventh round in a hurry, I probably shouldn't be hunting in the first place. It however, may be built more sturdy and can handle stiffer loads? Of that I'm not quite sure about. I personally like the looks of the Bisley but would give way to durability in the end. What are you all's thought's on the matter? Thanks in advance. Smithy.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Apples and oranges Smithy apples and oranges. ;)

I like the Bisley hunter myself

since I own 4 other bisleys.

hope that answer helps :rolleyes:

besides you need at least half a dozen

Ruger bisleys and i think you are one short :lol:

Smithy:

my humble guess is that you won't be using the double action feature of the Redhawk.

My other guess is that neither pistol is really stronger than the other (just a guess).

BUT, if you get the Redhawk, it looks like it also comes in .454 Casull. Nice option to have when hunting hogs.

But for me, the Bisley single action wins out, even if it is in .44 mag, which is not my favorite caliber.

If you can find one, Ruger made some Super Blackhawk Hunters in .45 Colt caliber a few years back. I got one and love it. I load it up with 250-300 grain Speer Gold Dots using LilGun powder and let me tell ya.....it'll get Godzilla's attention.

..........Widder

When I hunt with a revolver my favorite is a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum nice and portable plenty big enough for Pennsylvania Whitetails.

I also have been known to hunt with a Contender in 45/70 or 7 TCU

Smithy and others thinking about handgun hunting,

A few points I feel strong about....It is not all about gun/caliber choice. It is more about your dedication to being good at it, to work an accurate load, to learn trigger descipline, mind discipline (the ability to not pull the trigger if things are not perfect), demand a good rest if any distance at all, practice, and more. All these things spell being sincere to be as humane in your kill as possible....you owe this to any animal you hunt.

As to choice in gun...sure any of those Rugers mentioned are fine and within proper range 45 LC or 44 mag are fine choices in caliber. Personally, I have taken many whitetail deer and hogs with 44 mag and find it an exellent cartridge within it's limits. 454 Casull is my favorite and I consider myself a veteran with it taking numerous game with it in a Freedom Arms Model 83, including 14 bull elk,a Mountain goat, whitetail deer,an antelope, and more. It is an awesome caliber, great in hands of good hunter, and in proper hands capable of doing great feats at some pretty long distances. I emphasis, be good with your choice, know your distances and ability at them (carry a range finder and make perimeter reading if situation warrants, I sure do), and just be dedicated and serious to the idea of HUNTING with a handgun.

Smithy and others thinking about handgun hunting,

A few points I feel strong about....It is not all about gun/caliber choice. It is more about your dedication to being good at it, to work an accurate load, to learn trigger descipline, mind discipline (the ability to not pull the trigger if things are not perfect), demand a good rest if any distance at all, practice, and more. All these things spell being sincere to be as humane in your kill as possible....you owe this to any animal you hunt.

As to choice in gun...sure any of those Rugers mentioned are fine and within proper range 45 LC or 44 mag are fine choices in caliber. Personally, I have taken many whitetail deer and hogs with 44 mag and find it an exellent cartridge within it's limits. 454 Casull is my favorite and I consider myself a veteran with it taking numerous game with it in a Freedom Arms Model 83, including 14 bull elk,a Mountain goat, whitetail deer,an antelope, and more. It is an awesome caliber, great in hands of good hunter, and in proper hands capable of doing great feats at some pretty long distances. I emphasis, be good with your choice, know your distances and ability at them (carry a range finder and make perimeter reading if situation warrants, I sure do), and just be dedicated and serious to the idea of HUNTING with a handgun.

Very good advice. Look at the aninals that were taken by d w when the 357 just came out. Or the cowboys who took meat for the pot. To modern hunters those loads seem inadequate. The difference is they placed there shots. My grandfather took deer with a 32-20 out of a 4 3/4 colt every year until he lost his sight. Personally when I started I listened to all the hype about having to have a magnum big bore so I bought a 44 mag. After realizing you definitely don't need that much gun for deer or hogs I went to a 357 still was unimpressed. I switched to the trusty 45. That's what I carry now. All things considered the deer I shot with any of three reacted pretty much the same. The farthest one traveled was 15 yards. I place my shots carefully and don't take the shot unless I am certain of making it. I've taken shots ranging from five feet....the bugger walked right under my stand.... to eighty three yards. The best advice I've ever heard was...." it doesn't matter what you use as long as your consistant" if you can use a 357 and group all your shots in a nine inch paper plate at 100 yards then that's what you want to use.

A good rule of thumb is take a 9" paper plate. When you can place all your shots into that plate every time then your good. Keep backing up until you start to miss.... that's too far. For some that ten feet for others its over 200 yards. Just know your firearm and practice until you don't miss.

Sorry so long winded I'm off my soap box I just get a little worked up with people always pushing bigger cartridges.

Whatever you choose best of luck to you

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

When I hunt with a revolver my favorite is a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum nice and portable plenty big enough for Pennsylvania Whitetails.

My "go-to" hunter is a Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley in 41 mag. It's loaded with a whole lot of W296 under a 260 gr large meplat hard cast bullet. Makes a hole about 1.5" in diameter all the way through. I think I'm ready for anything up to Coastal Grizzlys and Cape Buffalo.

My "go-to" hunter is a Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley in 41 mag. It's loaded with a whole lot of W296 under a 260 gr large meplat hard cast bullet. Makes a hole about 1.5" in diameter all the way through. I think I'm ready for anything up to Coastal Grizzlys and Cape Buffalo.

Sorry so long winded I'm off my soap box I just get a little worked up with people always pushing bigger cartridges.

I know and understand fully that in handgun hunting, shot placement is key to successful hunting and a humane kill, but it was with this same humane thought in mind that I was wondering a bit about caliber (hog hunting and all) since I've heard that they were so tough to penetrate. I'm sure that there is a caliber cut off of which you could make that perfect shot and the animal still would not go down. I certainly do not want to be in that situation. I was with a partner rabbit hunting and initially thought he winged a few only to find out he was using bird shot (8's as I recall). I chastised him and supplied him with shells of proper shot size for the job we were doing. Back to the topic, if I were in position with a proper shot and a proper 44 mag load, is the 44 mag a sufficient choice for feral hog? I would think that it is, but I would like the advice from the experts. Smithy.

I know and understand fully that in handgun hunting, shot placement is key to successful hunting and a humane kill, but it was with this same humane thought in mind that I was wondering a bit about caliber (hog hunting and all) since I've heard that they were so tough to penetrate. I'm sure that there is a caliber cut off of which you could make that perfect shot and the animal still would not go down. I certainly do not want to be in that situation. I was with a partner rabbit hunting and initially thought he winged a few only to find out he was using bird shot (8's as I recall). I chastised him and supplied him with shells of proper shot size for the job we were doing. Back to the topic, if I were in position with a proper shot and a proper 44 mag load, is the 44 mag a sufficient choice for feral hog? I would think that it is, but I would like the advice from the experts. Smithy.

I don't know too much about ferral hog other than the ones that get out of the hog farm where I work. A few years ago a truck overturned spilling. 163 market hogs it took almost three months to finally get them all. They dress out around five to seven hundred and I've never had a problem taking them with a 38 snubbie that is my glove box gun. I keep the shots under fifty yards and make sur I hit the lungs or heart. Most were taken with my 4 5/8 bh in 45. A few of the smart ones wouldn't let me get within my personal limit for handguns and I used an nagant for those

Be carefull when you shoot a hog never aim for the head dead on .... the front plate is very hard and if you don't hit it right the slug will bounce off. I've seen a neighbor bounce a 357 through the roof of his barn trying that.

You have a very valid point. Know how far your ammo still has killing power. Choice of bullet is key too. But dont be fooled by the hype fast moving small bullet or slow moving big one... both do the job when aimed. You do have a little more margin for error using larger bullets.

A standard factory loaded 45 with a good bullet would be fine for up to about fifty yards after that id use a hot load if your using a quartering shot. Broadside shots just about any will work but with pigs you very rarely get a true broad side.

Keep in mind I don't claim to be an expert. I've worked with hogs most my life and know them well but these are not wild ones. I've only had those three months hunting them and I only took 107 the rest were put down by police or farmers using hi powered rifles

Deer I have hunted and will continue to hunt with my bh 45. Iron sighted. At my age I just don't use scopes on handguns. I'm sure as I age that may change.

I hope this helped in at least a small way. My experiences will not be others so expect some other views too. In the end you are the one pulling the trigger and you are the only one who will be responsible for a poor shot or wounded animal. No matter who's advice you take. My advice choise a gun you know with ammo you trust. Practice until you know the combination intimately and never pull the trigger until there is no doubt in your mind of a humane harvest.

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

Unless its in self defence against an injured hog then keep pulling the trigger till it stops twitching....reload and shoot it again just in case. If we ever meet I can show you a cool scar from where a hog took six shots to the vitals from a police 308 and still managed to run fourty yards and try to taste my bacon....

44 mag is more than adequate. It will work just fine for you. Happy hunting and good luck

44 mag is more than adequate. It will work just fine for you. Happy hunting and good luck.

With the perfect shot we put down full grown hogs with a 22 lr. Although never hunt with one. It takes a precise brain shot.

Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull - simply because you can also shoot mild to HOT 45 Colt in it too.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Agree, very versatile cartridge from a mild load of Bullseye behind anywhere from 185 Gr Nosler HP to anybodies 240-250 grainer up to full throttle 260 to 320+ over H110 or WW296. I run a "full house" load of H110 and a 260 grain FA heavy jacket at near 1900fps in my FA (not sure the Redhawk would take that but possibly, close anyway). Nosler makes a nice 260 HP bullet that I found good for deer (never tried it on elk) using a 296 load. Not sure if it isstill available but at one time Winchester even made a nice mid-range load for 454 which I would think adequate for deer....I believe it was a 250 grain XTP at factory specs of around 1450 fps (right in there with 45 LC and 44 mag). The 185/Bullseye load zips around 1400fps and is a bunch of fun and would be good for some smaller game, and good for practice as POI is close to the heavier loads at 25-35 paces.

Archived