SASS Wire Forum

Model 97 Shotgun

Doc McGee, SASS #51213

I have a 1904 model 97 shotgun that needs a hammer. Somebody did some brazing on it to build up the front side of the hammer, it was apparently worn, don't know for sure what happened there. It fires Ok, but looks tacky as all get out.

Where can I get a replacement hammer for this old honey?

Doc McGee

Barring your ability to find a replacement, a gunsmith that is learned with his brazing and welding equipment can remove the brass repair? and build the worn portion to oversize with steel filler rod. Preferably with a TIG setup, but a fairly compairable job can be done using the same "triple de-oxidized steel" filler rod and an oxy-acetylene rig. Once the part has enough material added to it, they would then be able to work it back down to the point where you won't even be able to tell that the repair ever happened.

Someone who is confident enough with thier skills can also produce a repair that has better wear characteristics than the original.

I just called McShagnasty #452 and he has a hammer, but it is attached to the lower carrier assembly. If you can't find just a hammer by calling Numrich Arms this could be an alternate plan. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Outlaw gambler has tons of spare parts you might want to give him a call or pm him

Archived