SASS Wire Forum

For your consideration....

Subdeacon Joe

I always liked "standing fast". I am good at that! :rolleyes:

As in "stand firm?"

fast

O.E. fæst "firmly fixed, steadfast," probably from P.Gmc. *fastuz (cf. O.N. fastr , Du. vast , Ger. fest ), from PIE base *past- "firm" (cf. Skt. pastyam "dwelling place"). The adv. meaning "quickly, swiftly" was perhaps in O.E., or from O.N. fast , either way developing from the sense of "firmly, strongly, vigorously" (cf. to run hard means to run fast ; also compare fast asleep ), or perhaps from the notion of a runner who "sticks" close to whatever he is chasing.

Too Too True!

I never lie. Well, hardly ever. Well sometimes, but little bitty ones. Ok, so I never tell the truth.

Is this true? True, true?

I heard the only time BMC lies is when he opens his mouth. He is a fisherman after all.

People are not evacuated, buildings and such are. To evacuate (or make empty) a person, an enema is usually involved.

Unique, which means "one of a kind", should NEVER be modified.

"more or most unique" is the same as "more or most one of a kind".

Totally Destroyed, drowned to death, electrocuted to death are all equally redundant (same as saying Killed to Death)

How can DETAILS be SKETCHY?

How does one "COMB THROUGH RUBBLE"?

I could go on with more very bad cliche's, but won't. Dont want to hijack the Very True thread.

SOso

People are not evacuated, buildings and such are. To evacuate (or make empty) a person, an enema is usually involved.

Unique, which means "one of a kind", should NEVER be modified.

"more or most unique" is the same as "more or most one of a kind".

Totally Destroyed, drowned to death, electrocuted to death are all equally redundant (same as saying Killed to Death)

How can DETAILS be SKETCHY?

How does one "COMB THROUGH RUBBLE"?

I could go on with more very bad cliche's, but won't. Dont want to hijack the Very True thread.

SOso

Since it is more a thoughts on words thread, have at!

Hey Badger! Veritas vos liberabit!

Did you happen to have Mrs. Brame for Latin in high school like I did?

bo bis bit bimus bitis bunt

OK, my pet peeve is when someone says "literally" when they should be using "figuratively". To clarify, if you state "I was so mad I literally chewed his head(or substitute your prefered body part here) off", unless you are an enraged canibal you should have worded the statement something like "I was so mad I chewed his head off, figuratively speaking".

Wow, I feel so much better getting that off my chest (figuratively speaking, of course).

Bucky

Oooh oooh!

Another peevie thread...

One of mine, heard frequently on HGTV is "added bonus."

Another is the word "actual." It is usually used in a context where it is redundant.

:ph34r:

AM

Maybe you get two bonuses, the regular one and the added one. :lol:

Archived