SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about a POLICE vs COWBOY SHOOT

Korupt Karl

Just throwing around an idea of having a Police vs Cowboy shoot to raise money for a departments fund to buy Bullet Proof Vests. We want to do it right and would like any suggestions from those who have put a shoot on.

What are the do's and don'ts? What worked and what didn't work. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Like I say it's in the thought process now and with your help it could come to reality.

Thoughts on how you arranged the posse, order of shooters, types of scenarios, etc. Any kind of help will be great.

Thanks in advance

KK

Howdy Karl!

Firelands Peacemakers here in Ohio does an annual event like what you want to do. Cowboys & Cops has all their info along with contacts. They're good pards, and will probably be more than happy to help you out.

Karl

A little while back John E Law arranged just such a match. If I remember right, one of the factors was the difference in ammo (lead vs jacketed).

Some of the dept's use Glocks which are not supposed to have lead run through them. They also use The AR platform. I don't have John E's phone # or e-mail but maybe you could PM him or get his e-mail from Deadlee Headlee (via the Myakka Misfits). I know that John E put alot of time and thought into the details of the match.

Hope this helps....Sun

Cheyenne Regulators, Deputy Cuny have been putting on a yearly event for at least 7-8 years. The best showing for the cops so far was last year.... 8th.... about 3 places behind Belle Drewery :lol:

I helped run something similiar a number of years ago at a local club. It was the cowboy shooters versus the IPSC shooters. Keeping in mind that there are "modern" shooting sports that use steel as well. I'll rundown my observations by gun:

Shotgun is easy, use the same targets at the same distances

Pistol: Depends on the quality of the steel, if the steel is rated for "modern" calibers, then set the steel at the minimum safe distance for jacketed bullets, which is about 30-35 feet, but you'll need to confirm that distance. We had the IPSC shooters start with 5 in the gun, loaded chamber, safety on if applicable.

The biggest problem we found was with the rifle. Steel rated for .223/.308 needs to be set no closer then 50 yards (again, you'll need to confirm that distance). One option for rifle is to use cardboard targets at regular SASS distances and just tape over the holes after each shooter.

If there is a local IPSC, USPA or other club that uses steel rated for jacketed bullets and rifle rounds, see if they would be willing to loan the steel for the match or even consider inviting them to shoot the match as well, perhaps at their range. That would increase the money raised.

And yes, every year we ran that match the cowboys won and rarely did any of the "modern" shooters place above 5th or 6th

Contact Fast Hammer. He has been putting on a Cops and Cowboys for some time now. Here is a link to the Picacho Posse website and the contact information.

I agree, Fasthammer holds a great match. We Buffalo Range Riders also have held ours for 2 years. go to our website, as we are a self run club now! English Lynn did a great job ramrodding ours last year. We really didn't have issues, as it is a fun and relaxed match. Be ready to build some stands to hold your silouets for the cops, and some stick'ems to cover their holes on their targets each time, but ....oh heck, just send me a private message, and I'll send our phone # so we can talk. :rolleyes:

I wore my shirt with pigs all over it to the match. Most didn't get the joke, those that did mostly couldn't stop laughing. I'd do that again. :)

Archived