SASS Wire Forum

SOLD Rapine Bullet Mould for BP .44 Pistol

SOLD Rapine Bullet Mould # 452215 a double mould which casts a old style pointed conical bullet for a .44 Cap & Ball. It has a rebated base. The mould is in excellent condition. I have used the bullet in my Walkers, which had to be opened up to pivot the bullet under the seater. I have also seated them in a Pietta 1860 with some jiggling. If you use a loading stand there is no problem.

Price is $75 including shipping.

Thanks for looking

The base is not hollow, rebated means the base is smaller than the diameter to start in the cylinder. Thee diameter of the bullet is .452. This is a bullet for loading in a cap & ball.

Does this work with any cap and ball guns?? Or will I need to remove cylinders for better seating...I have some dragoons and others that are all 44...

Texas Lizard

I would not say it would work with any .44 cap & ball. As I stated the way the Walker is made and looking at pictures of the Dragoon, Uberti does not leave room for a conical bullet to swing under the rammer. After I got the mould, I talked to the guy making the molds and he didn't know this. It is a bullet made for the big boomers, but Uberti made the opening too small. On my Walkers I made the openings bigger with a Dremel and then could use the rammer. On the Pietta 1860 Army the bullet would fit, but it does reduce the powder charge. It definitely would not fit under the rammer of a 1851 Navy in .44 caliber because they are not cut for a conical bullet of this design.

The ideal solution in all conical loading is the loaders loading the cylinder outside of the gun. The bullets must also be cast of pure lead.

I hope that I made this a little clearer. I am sending you my phone number if you want to discuss it.

Archived