SASS Wire Forum

B Western Boots

JD Alan

Howdy guys. I'm looking for help finding some boots to use in B Western that will work with my diabetic foot problems. I can't wear any of the half dozen pairs of traditional western boots I own any more, due to diabetic neuropathy. I do wear pull on boots rather than lace ups, but finding some I can wear that have any sort of fancy stitching has so far eluded me.

Several people have suggested Ariat, but none I've seen have a big enough toe box for me. Adding to the problem is size; I wear a 13 EE. Any ideas for sources would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, JD Alan

Howdy JD! Any medical problems will supercede costuming requirements. Do the best you can with the boots, but your health comes first. If anybody says anything, a doctor's note should remove all doubt.

They have some nice looking boots that fit the requirements, if you can wear them. Boot City

Nobody expects you to suffer and you should be able to shoot the category you want. The main thing is your health and comfort.

Ariat Men's Quickdraw Western Boots

http://www.bootbarn.com/Ariat-Men%27s-Quickdraw-Western-Boots/1010423,default,pd.html?start=34&cgid=root&prefn1=gender&prefv1=Men&prefn2=toeType&prefv2=360

Website doesn't show anything larger than a 12, but I was recently in a store and tried on a 14. VERY comfortable. May have to call them to get the size you need.

Doc, That is debatable. When there are other categories available (age-based, duelist, gunfighter), an accomodation in B-W or CC is not a sure thing. It would be up to the MD.

JD, if you have the funds, you could have some custom made by Earth Walker or others. However, check out Sheplers (among others) for a square toe box boot, like these.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Sorry, those were women's. Link changed.

Thanks for the ideas Pards. What I'm using now is a Wellington type boot, which has a higher toe box than your typical western boot, regardless of brand. I'm fine at my own club, but shooting anywhere else might create an issue, and I'm not looking to cause any division.

Okie Sawbones, I've shot at your club, but not in the B Western category. You've got a great group of shooters up there, and we appreciate you coming to Oregon to shoot with us. I'll check out that link you posted (I've already looked at the others)

And thanks to each one that responded, JD

If you have medical problems that preclude you from wearing the required items in B-Western or Classic Cowboy. Then you need to look into one of the many other categories you CAN dress B-Western but not wear the boots required.

Roper does make some excellent boots that shouldn't cramp your feet or your desire for BLING!

Just a suggestion

Okie Sawbones, I've shot at your club, but not in the B Western category. You've got a great group of shooters up there, and we appreciate you coming to Oregon to shoot with us. I'll check out that link you posted (I've already looked at the others)

Thanks, JD -- that's why we make the trip down your way as well, a great group of shooters. :)

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of B-Western !~ I wear a 15 AAA (have found ONE pair) so I know all about how difficult it can be. Have you thought about finding some boots that you can wear comfortably (just any boots) and have someone add a little stitching to them, maybe on the shafts ? It doesn't take much to meet the requirements, then there could be no question about it. On a side note, I don't see why you couldn't do the best you can medically and be allowed anyway, no call. We're not supposed to be hard arses about things such as this. I do commend you for your efforts !~

I don't shoot B Western (instead it's Frontier Cartridge) and my footwear are diabetic shoes which I specially selected (It took me quite awhile to come up with these guys at my podiatrist's). They honestly look like a period "town shoe". I was very fortunate to find them because I have never even had to use the but wait, it's a medical necessity excuse, they look so close to the real thing. I've also had diabetes for 35 years so I know how much foot care matters! Maybe if you found a sample shoe close enough, you could then have your local cobbler add the necessary bling to bring them up to B Western standards? The only other thing I can think of is to go LARGE and get way over your normal size. My problem is that in addition to neuropathy I also have edema in my lower extremities making my calves twice as large as anyone else's. I use to wear an 11 (now a 13 due to swelling) but my calves make my size much larger if I try to wear boots. A pard on the Wire has blessed me with the gift of a size 15 EE boots (the size I need in a boot). I can't wait to try them out at the next shoot. Smithy.

I dunt have any new advice over wut the others have given, but I can du this,,, I stop and shop at a lot of western stores, go figure, I know, and if I spot any LARGE sizes I'll post et.

I've got type 2, that I've been able to control with diet changes, been 4 yrs now, made a lifestyle change, I can't stand meds,,,,

Life is Good, :) Eternity will be Great, :lol:

Cheyenne B)

JD, to add to what Hugh Damnright says, I've wondered about doin' the same thing ("embellishing") a pair of these, for the simple reason that they are by far the most comfortable boot I've ever encountered and have a HUGE toe cathedral!

Not sure what "tradional" means in the rule requirement ("Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design"), but they'd lend themselves to right easy fancyin' up. Heck... I saw a fella wearing a pair with conchos up the mule ears - that was danged fancy! :rolleyes:

Howdy guys. I'm looking for help finding some boots to use in B Western that will work with my diabetic foot problems. I can't wear any of the half dozen pairs of traditional western boots I own any more, due to diabetic neuropathy. I do wear pull on boots rather than lace ups, but finding some I can wear that have any sort of fancy stitching has so far eluded me.

Several people have suggested Ariat, but none I've seen have a big enough toe box for me. Adding to the problem is size; I wear a 13 EE. Any ideas for sources would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, JD Alan

You have a dilema, I may have the solution. contact Corpirate.com. Young lady will design what you want and the boots are beautiful!!!! Might be costly, but here's the sugestion. Ask if she can put the design on boots that will work for your feet. That way you can shoot in the catagory you chose, and keep in costuming rules.

Many thanks, JD Alan

check with CORPIRATE.COM She produces great work. See if you can send her boots that will work with your feet, and see if she will put your design on them. It might be a little costly, but your feet will be happy, and other BWesterners will be glad you are following costuming regulations!!Luck.

Ladies & Gents, I surely do appreciate all the great links, suggestions and well wishes. I knew if I sought some good advice here I would get it. Smithy, I deal with edema too, which is one reason for the large toe box.

I shoot several categories, but B western has always appealed to me. I finally got a rifle that qualifies, so I figured I'd give it a try. I've got everything needed excepr rhe boots.

Much as I would like to, I don’t have hundreds of dollars to invest in boots, custom or otherwise. I do Leather work, so I’m in the process of making some oversize spur straps with a fair amount of bling. I’m hopeful that the straps will do the trick.

Thanks again: I will ontinue to check out the various links, JD

Archived