SASS Wire Forum

OT 35 remington

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

anybody have a rifle in 35 remington and if so what your opinion.

Have two bolt actions in .35 Whelen, which is about 2 power steps higher than a .35 Remington (.358 Win being between).

35 Rem is a decent bear and deer gun for heavy woods. Max range about 200 yards for most hunters. Guns are often older designs that don't take well to scope mounting. So, it's an Eastern woods gun, and has limited uses in the west. But, it would be a great choice for home protection in a pump or lever configuration. Ammo a little expensive for a plinker, but loaded with cast bullets it would be great in that role, too.

Good luck, GJ

I have owned a 35 in most all configurations at one time or another, the original semiauto kicks all out of proportion for some reason, the Marlin lever is a dandy gun for most anything under 200 yds, at present I only have a contender 14" pistol, it is supremely accurate, I killed a deer with it at 250 yds one yr. (from a good rest) penetration is phenominal, I shot a deer in the chest one yr at 50 yds, never found the bullet untill the wife found it in a package of round steak, had to have traveled over 3 ft.

If you are thinking of a traditional lever rifle, coupled with the new leverevolution bullets it would be on of the best rounds out there.

And I live in a western big game state, of course it wouldn't be my first choice for a pronghorn gun.

Doc

I have owned 2 35 Rems . I had a Rem Mod 81 semi auto that was one heck of a great gun to shoot. A bit on the heavy side( about 8 lbs). Took it elk hunting ONCE!

I've also owned a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and it was great saddle type/ truck gun. I did not particularly like the 200 grain RN bullet and wish that Remington had come up with a 150 or 180 grain bullet instead. I hope that HORNADY can still do the same, ecpecially w/ the advent of the Lever Revolution loads and powder. I did help shoot and eventually a kill a rogue/ sick bear with it, that was preying on my Brother-in-laws livestock.He used his 30-30, of course.

Overall, I wish I had kept them both!! Especially now that I reload.........

CBA

I have a .348 Win (one step up) that I love.

Also, have a 35 Rem in a Contender. I've shot one wild hog with it. First shot (50 yards) hit high, second shot (200-250 yards)hit dead on. Dropped it like a rock.

Saw several pigs shot with 35 Rem. while guiding in grad school. No issues that I remember==worked way better than a 30-30 and effective ranges seemed about the same.

My FIL bought his .35 remmie Marlin 336 in the 50s, and carried it as his only deer rifle until he gave up hunting. He gave it to his son, who has carried it every year since. I couldn't tell ya how many deer it's taken, nor how badly it's been treated with cleaning once a decade, etc, but it's still a rock solid old gun that puts meat in the freezer faithfully.

I've had my Marlin 336C lever action in .35 Rem since the '50's, and it's always been my favorite brush gun for deer. In my younger years, the iron sights worked just fine out to 100 yards, which was a long shot where we hunted back then. Never lost a deer with the .35 Rem, and 90% were one-shot kills. Aging eyes put a 2-7X scope on the gun some years back, but it's still a great deer gun and a totally adequate cartridge, particularly with the new Leverevolution ammo which easily extends the range out to 200 yards.

JMHO,

Kid Latham

My dad bought a used Model 08 in 1941, I've had it since 1961 and it's a great rifle for woods and brush. It's not even too bad in prairie country if you know its range (100 yards or so) and trajectory (much like slow pitch softball) limitations and if you're willing to be REALLY patient.

I took a pronghorn at just over 30 yards after waiting over five hours for him to come to me.

I've also killed an Olympic elk with a single shot, a black bear, and some mule deer.

Recoil was mentioned.

The 08 is a Browning designed semi-automatic action and when it's fired the barrel and bolt travel back together before the bolt separates and finishes the cycle backwards while the barrel reverses course and goes forward again. Then the bolt, having shucked the empty case at its rearmost movement and now moves forward, picking up a fresh round, and slams into the barrel, which has by now stopped again.

The recoil spring is in a tube surrounding the barrel, and adds its weight to the front end and adds inertia to the recoil and recovery motions.

It isn't so much that the recoil is heavy, but more that it goes on dang near forever...in particles of a second. There's just an awful lot moving around forward of the trigger guard.

I love mine.

Howdy,

anybody have a rifle in 35 remington and if so what your opinion.

Thanks

KK

I also am a big fan of .35 caliber. have a marlin .35 rem and two .358s and have had a .35 whelen.the .35 rem is light to carry in the woods.

CCBA

Archived