SASS Wire Forum

BUCK D LAW.....

Widder, SASS #59054

Hey Widder- just talked to him. He and Sugah are OK- no damage but lines are down, phones are out and internet is spotty.

Yikes,

After my visit to So. IL, I thought it would be a nice place to live. I forgot about these. In the '60s one took down my grandma's barn with Uncle inside. He crawled under a trough and was okay. A few years ago one took out an entire street near my cousin's office.

Guess if I move to that area I'll build an underground house with skylights. :unsure:

Hope everyone is okay.

Regards,

Allie

What a day in Alabama. I've must give credit to the weathermen who told us day before yesterday, while the sun was shining and the skies were blue, that April 27th would present weather conditions that were more likely to spawn tornadoes than any day in the previous ten years. Many schools announced closings on Tuesday and those that opened on Wednesday only did so long enough to get the minimum time in required to call it a school day and still have time to get children back to parents before bad weather would threaten.

The advance warning given by the EMS systems would make you think nobody could possibly be caught unaware of an approaching storm and for the most part that is true. The problem is most people just do not have a place to take adequate shelter and short of what we called in our childhood a cellar, there is essentially no shelter that is completely safe. I have a basement, but as one of my daughters was quick to point out, there is still a house above us and flying debris can be deadly.

Most of the day where I live was spent under blue sky, but early in the day a storm had taken out some fiber optic cable near Cullman and it caused us to be without phones or internet the entire day at my office. Late in the day, a SkyCam enabled a Birmingham T.V. station to broadcast live as a tornado ripped through downtown Cullman, so apparently Cullman caught it early in the day as well as late in the afternoon.

My son just informed me that a former SASS shooter (T-Bone Staeke..I think), Ken Steake (pronounced Steak), home was destroyed when a tornado took out the center of the house and left the sides remaining as if an 18 wheeler had driven through it.

The irony of any effort I might make to inform anyone of what has happened here is that most of you know more than I do. Between loss of phone service (including cell service for a few hours last evening), loss of power, internet and T.V., I have only begun to find out what has happened around me. Thus far, there are many sad stories and my heart goes out to those who have lost family members, been injured or suffered other losses.

I have received a number of inquiries regarding our health from many states this morning and I've gotta say that it is a pleasure to have so many friends scattered around this country. It has been humbling.

What a day in Alabama. I've must give credit to the weathermen who told us day before yesterday, while the sun was shining and the skies were blue, that April 27th would present weather conditions that were more likely to spawn tornadoes than any day in the previous ten years. Many schools announced closings on Tuesday and those that opened on Wednesday only did so long enough to get the minimum time in required to call it a school day and still have time to get children back to parents before bad weather would threaten.

The advance warning given by the EMS systems would make you think nobody could possibly be caught unaware of an approaching storm and for the most part that is true. The problem is most people just do not have a place to take adequate shelter and short of what we called in our childhood a cellar, there is essentially no shelter that is completely safe. I have a basement, but as one of my daughters was quick to point out, there is still a house above us and flying debris can be deadly.

Most of the day where I live was spent under blue sky, but early in the day a storm had taken out some fiber optic cable near Cullman and it caused us to be without phones or internet the entire day at my office. Late in the day, a SkyCam enabled a Birmingham T.V. station to broadcast live as a tornado ripped through downtown Cullman, so apparently Cullman caught it early in the day as well as late in the afternoon.

My son just informed me that a former SASS shooter (T-Bone Staeke..I think), Ken Steake (pronounced Steak), home was destroyed when a tornado took out the center of the house and left the sides remaining as if an 18 wheeler had driven through it.

The irony of any effort I might make to inform anyone of what has happened here is that most of you know more than I do. Between loss of phone service (including cell service for a few hours last evening), loss of power, internet and T.V., I have only begun to find out what has happened around me. Thus far, there are many sad stories and my heart goes out to those who have lost family members, been injured or suffered other losses.

I have received a number of inquiries regarding our health from many states this morning and I've gotta say that it is a pleasure to have so many friends scattered around this country. It has been humbling.

Buck; Glad you and Sugah are alright. Been thinkin of you.

KK

Buck; Glad you and Sugah are alright. Been thinkin of you.

KK

me too.

Me Three. Hope the rest of our SASS pardners in the area are as well.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

:):lol::rolleyes::DB);)

CC

I'm glad you and Sugah made it through the storms intact and healthy. I can only hope the rest of our SASS pards and kinfolk made it through as well. My thoughts are with you all and all the other folks affected by this disaster.

Sun

Buck,

All of us that had the great pleasure of meeting you and Sugah and getting to be on the same posse with you at Comin At Cha last year are sure glad to hear you are okay.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and those that didn't come through it as well as you did.

Hope to see you again this year.

Ben Scalped

Buck.

So glad to hear you and family are alright. We had a rough time here but nothing like you guys had.

See ya at the state next week.

McKenzie

What a day in Alabama. I've must give credit to the weathermen who told us day before yesterday, while the sun was shining and the skies were blue, that April 27th would present weather conditions that were more likely to spawn tornadoes than any day in the previous ten years. Many schools announced closings on Tuesday and those that opened on Wednesday only did so long enough to get the minimum time in required to call it a school day and still have time to get children back to parents before bad weather would threaten...

Glad you are all ok Buck.

Those are the same storms that came through the DFW Metroplex area in the afternoon/evening. That morning our Weatherman were telling us the same thing, today would be a bad day for tornados, they even added a tag PDS on the warning, "Potentially Disastourous Situation" I believe is what they called it.

Our weather alert radio had been going off multiple times that day with "Watches" and "Warnings" and the 3-4 days before. Mostly Thunderstorm and some tornado, We got a lot of Hail this week too.

Correction: particularly dangerous situation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particularly_dangerous_situation

Buck,

Have your emails... have been thinkin' of ya'll constantly since I drove thru Birmingham last Monday... haven't quite wrapped my head around the issue, and have been distracted by the storms across the region. Really glad Sugah came thru unscathed... you... I ain't sure about yet... on as many levels as I ain't quite sure 'bout myownself. :wacko:

Prayers up for those less fortunate in the aftermath of the storms. Keep yer head down when the wind blows... you're less likely to lose it. I'll get to those emails later.

Archived