SASS Wire Forum

OT: The Worst Tornado Outbreak in History

Cypress Sun

Yesterday was the worst tornado outbreak in recorded history with 158 (unconfirmed) twisters in many Southern states. The previous record was set in 1974 during the "super outbreak" with 142 twisters. More are predicted for today for South and North Carolina, the Virginia's and some of the Northeast states.

I sure do hope that all of our SASS pards in the area's that were hit yesterday made it through the storms with their homes intact and with no injuries. For those in the storm's path today, I wish you all good luck.

Sun

Many deaths from these twisters also.

I live in Blount County which is in E.TN just south of Knoxville.

During a 30 minute time frame last night (9 - 9:30ish), the National Weather Service stated that their 'Lightning' tracking device recorded 530 lightning strikes in Blount County.

Lookin out my back windows, I can verify 529 of those.

I had the flashlites ready and pillows for the family should we have to make a run for the basement.

Hope Buck and out other Alabama friends are o.k. this morning.

CHIME IN Buck and let us know!

..........Widder

AJ:

we had storm after storm last night.

Just when you thought THE storm was over and you escaped its carnage, another one was right behind it, usually worse.

We had 3 separate hail storms mixed in with it also. It would hail, stop and melt, and then hail some more.

Worse I've seen in my 60 yrs.

..........Widder

I'm from Ohio, and was a kid when the 1974 outbreak hit, but I had an uncle that lived in Xenia, which was devastated. I can vividly remember the debris and destruction. I can only say my heart goes out to those in the South, especially those souls in Alabama.

Well I made it thru alive and so did my family. I work in Huntsville but live in Killen which is about 65 miles west. Normally it's an hour and 15 minute drive home but yesterday it took 2 1/2hrs to get home. Had a major tornado on the ground heading right thru where I needed to go and when I thought I might ougth to go back to work I heard there was one behind me headed to work. So I parked near a ditch and hoped the torando didn't turn my way as there was no where to go.

It passed me by but I had to drive thru part of it's path and I haven't seen damage like that since I went to help out after Katrina hit.

Not sure how we came out with just a tree across our road but we are sure thankful and my thoughts are with those that weren't as lucky.

Well I made it thru alive and so did my family. I work in Huntsville but live in Killen which is about 65 miles west. Normally it's an hour and 15 minute drive home but yesterday it took 2 1/2hrs to get home. Had a major tornado on the ground heading right thru where I needed to go and when I thought I might ougth to go back to work I heard there was one behind me headed to work. So I parked near a ditch and hoped the torando didn't turn my way as there was no where to go.

It passed me by but I had to drive thru part of it's path and I haven't seen damage like that since I went to help out after Katrina hit.

Not sure how we came out with just a tree across our road but we are sure thankful and my thoughts are with those that weren't as lucky.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok.

Doc, I remember that time also. Even as far away as we were(NEO), the skies were the weirdest color of green that day during the tornado period. Just seemed ominous to look at.

Those people down there have been hit REALLY hard. they're going to need all the prayers we can give them........Buck, who's just astonished at the awesome power of Nature when it's unleashed :blush:

Terrible storms, good to hear safety of many pards we known in the path of these systems. Tor-Con (TWC's tornatic attivity rating) had placed our area in NETx under a 9/10 rating Tuesday evening. Rumor was that it was biggest chance of such bad storms since about '94. As it turned out, the rotation was there, and near my home, but to my knowledge no funnel touched down or any major damage suffered anywhere near Bogata or Clarksville (Bar-3) from this round. Noticed that Tor-Cor, maybe for first time, gave at 10/10 rating yesterday. It was given for Northern AL and unfortunately it played out as they predicted.

All you who know of pards safety keep us posted. How about those at Sparta, they OK?

Howdy Andrew! Glad to know you and yours are OK. Hope all our other Alabam pards also made it through alright. Watched it live on the Weather Channel, and it was just unimaginable how huge that twister was. Nature's fury at its worst.

Doc - I remember that day real well. I was out cruising with some of my buddies and watched one form up. Pretty scary stuff, and the pressure differential was like having an anvil on your chest. It touched down a few miles away, and nailed a friend of mine's house. Oddly enough, the only damage it did was to swoop down, suck all the brand-new aluminum siding off his house, and then went back up. No other damage, and no other houses in the neighborhood got touched.

Doc, I remember that time also. Even as far away as we were(NEO), the skies were the weirdest color of green that day during the tornado period. Just seemed ominous to look at.

Seen that ominous sky that time, and one other time, when we had a couple of tornadoes move through Central Ohio where I grew up. No good way for me to describe it other than how you have, but anyone who has seen it knows that doesn't do it justice.

Archived