SASS Wire Forum

Featherlite Load with Clays

Clemsum

I was reading the "Featherlight with MEC" thread and was reminded of an equivalent load using Clays. I would appreciate it if someone could PM that info to me. I have been accumulating AA hulls for a while and am about ready to start loading them and I have Clays on hand for loading my 45ACP.

Thanks in advance.

When you say "Featherlight" load, I'm assuming you're looking for a shotgun round with light felt recoil. Felt recoil is really more a function of the weight of the projectile you're pushing, followed second by the amount of powder you're using as a propellant.

For my wife's shotgun rounds, I'm using 7/8 ozs. of shot with a recommended amount of Clays powder. I'm putting a 28 gauge cardboard wad in the base of the shot cup.

Sometimes the AA hulls don't seal up well, so I'm laying a very thin piece of cardboard (thick paper really) over the shot before crimping. For the reounds that don't quite close all the way after crimping, you can see this top wad and not have #8 shot falling out of the rounds.

Send a PM to Prairie Dawg. I've shot some of his and they are great. I personally use Winchester AA Lite, but may in time switch to Prairie Dawg's recipe using Clays. I could be mistaken, but I don't think that Hodgdon lists a recipe for the Featherlite using Clays.

Thanks to all for the PM's and replies, it is good to be able to get advise when needed.

Now I just need to get the wads and get started.

It has been many years since I last reloaded a shotshell

Thanks again

Clemsum

Archived