SASS Wire Forum

Rack, Rack, Rack, Rack, Rack

Have you ever noticed the typical 97 shooter? When they are unloading their car and putting their guns into their cart they always rack, rack, rack, rack, rack, their 97s. Then when its their turn to go to the loading table as they take their 97 out of the cart its rack, rack, rack, rack, rack. Once they get to the loading table its rack, rack, rack, rack, rack. After they are done shooting and go to the unloading table its rack, rack, rack, rack, rack. After they are cleared and go back to their carts its rack, rack, rack, rack, rack. At that end of the day before they put their 97s back into their car its rack, rack, rack, rack, rack, Why all the racking? Don't they think the thing is going to work? No wonder so many 97s are getting worn out. For every shot fired down range its racked at least five times.

97 shooters have to make sure that nothing has fallen out/ off or into our shotgun every opportunity we get to handle them.

Because we KNOW the one time that we don't do this - the carrier will drop out the bottom, the bolt will fly out the rear and our magazine tube will shoot off the front (taking the forearm with it).

This is also why every 97 shooter has to have at least three of them...

The one they are using, the one for back up and the one that's currently at the gunsmith being repaired.

97 shooters have to make sure that nothing has fallen out/ off or into our shotgun every opportunity we get to handle them.

Because we KNOW the one time that we don't do this - the carrier will drop out the bottom, the bolt will fly out the rear and our magazine tube will shoot off the front (taking the forearm with it).

This is also why every 97 shooter has to have at least three of them...

The one they are using, the one for back up and the one that's currently at the gunsmith being repaired.

So by that logic, it's cheaper to shoot a hammer double, right? :)

Now you know why is's called a 97, there are 97 things to go wrong or break when racking it so many times :P

TB

The 97 must be the inspiration for the helicopter. It's the only other loosely organized constellation of parts trying to fly in opposite directions I know of.

That's right funny, AJ; and very true!

Cheers,

FJT

Good one, AJ.

Well, for some reason, it must be a regional thing cause I never notice that around here (although it could be so).

I rack mine open once. When I show it to the LT officer, I rack it once. When I stage it on the firing line, I don't rack it but I will ensure that it is fully open and the slide is all the way back.

I also rack it once at the UL table.

Oh yea.....I own 5 of them. One is for dryfire practice and basically has been decommissioned (no firing pin). Two are for 'The Game' and the other two I use for live fire practice only.

All that extra rackin must be for those fellers who have some sort of fantasy.... :o

..........Widder

Hello, My name is Flat Water Johnny, and I'm a '97-oholic.

It has been 3 days since my last '97 purchase.

It is an E series solid frame, with either an old reblue, or really good original finish.

I have accepted that I have a problem, I am asking the wire for forgiveness for hoarding most of the '97s I find.

Is it wrong that I'm now thinking I need two more '97s, so that I have one for each step?

FWJ

Hello, My name is Flat Water Johnny, and I'm a '97-oholic.

It has been 3 days since my last '97 purchase.

It is an E series solid frame, with either an old reblue, or really good original finish.

I have accepted that I have a problem, I am asking the wire for forgiveness for hoarding most of the '97s I find.

Is it wrong that I'm now thinking I need two more '97s, so that I have one for each step?

FWJ

Oh...YOU are not hording. There is a feller not far from my house in IL that (the last time I was in his basement) has well over 230 Winchester '97s. I took a quick count a few years ago.

He doesn't sell any that I know of but he will certainly help you get one running and is generous with his extra parts.

Cascade Charlie

A dangerous felon, high on some illicit substance, enters your dwelling late at night. Your wife hears a sound that shouldn't be there......

She shakes you and wakes you, whispering something is wrong.....

You grab your trusty Stoeger and, as loud as you possibly can, slip two shells into the chambers. A sound that can only be heard by bats and small dogs. And, let's face it, you're pumped right now, it's dark, adrenaline is flowing....and you could never load a double like Nuttin or Dooley.....the shells fall to the carpet with a soft "thup".

===========

The sound of a 97 racking is right up there among the greatest sounds on earth. Right alongside a perfectly struck golf ball, the opening of a can of cold beer and a very hot day, the revving of a Ferrari engine...among a few others.

I've never heard anyone classify a double shotgun being loaded as anything other than a Simon and Garfunkelish sound of silence.

A dangerous felon, high on some illicit substance, enters your dwelling late at night. Your wife hears a sound that shouldn't be there......

She shakes you and wakes you, whispering something is wrong.....

You grab your trusty Stoeger and, as loud as you possibly can, slip two shells into the chambers. A sound that can only be heard by bats and small dogs. And, let's face it, you're pumped right now, it's dark, adrenaline is flowing....and you could never load a double like Nuttin or Dooley.....the shells fall to the carpet with a soft "thup".

===========

The sound of a 97 racking is right up there among the greatest sounds on earth. Right alongside a perfectly struck golf ball, the opening of a can of cold beer and a very hot day, the revving of a Ferrari engine...among a few others.

I've never heard anyone classify a double shotgun being loaded as anything other than a Simon and Garfunkelish sound of silence.

Extremely well said!

The first rack is to check its empty, the 2nd is a double check, the 3rd is to annoy double shooters, the 4th is to aggravate double shooters, the 5th to really piss them off into whining about it.

Dear Larson,

I never do that. I open it at the car. Other than that, the only time I rack it is while I am shooting it. When I get to the ULT, I just tip it up for the ULT to look inside. I've never had one ask me to rack it.

However, after reading a certain post, it might be a good idea to practice this.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Been shooting the same '97 since 1999 without a failure, other than operator error when loading two for a bird, in a shoot off yet. :rolleyes:

Not to hijack this thread, but a humorous anecdote (that's a story.... ;) ) comes to mind here.....

Years ago, I was sitting through an Army class on riot control (one of them mandatory "fun" classes we had to have every couple of years "just in case"). The instructor is a grizzled old Master Sergeant standing behind a lecturn. The class is held in one of those cinder-block walled "Army" rooms. He asks the class, as introduction, "Who here speaks a foreign language?" Several raise their hands. Some say Spanish, some German, some say French, then the grizzled old Sergeant reaches beneath the lecturn with his right hand, grabs the forestock of a '97 and one-handedly racks the shotgun. Everyone goes silent.

"Lesson One. Everybody speaks shotgun."

:lol:

Chick

I have 2 of them. One a Coyote Cap Special Edition that I should at all matches with Featherlites & a $229 one that I shoot with the SMOKE LORDS (black powder)

Shenny

Not to hijack this thread, but a humorous anecdote (that's a story.... ;) ) comes to mind here.....

Years ago, I was sitting through an Army class on riot control (one of them mandatory "fun" classes we had to have every couple of years "just in case"). The instructor is a grizzled old Master Sergeant standing behind a lecturn. The class is held in one of those cinder-block walled "Army" rooms. He asks the class, as introduction, "Who here speaks a foreign language?" Several raise their hands. Some say Spanish, some German, some say French, then the grizzled old Sergeant reaches beneath the lecturn with his right hand, grabs the forestock of a '97 and one-handedly racks the shotgun. Everyone goes silent.

"Lesson One. Everybody speaks shotgun."

:lol:

Chick

Like the post said, RACKIE RACKIE

Have you ever noticed the typical 73 shooter? When they are unloading their car and putting their guns into their cart they always lever, lever, lever, lever, lever, their 73s. Then when it’s their turn to go to the loading table as they take their 73 out of the cart its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. Once they get to the loading table its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. After they are done shooting and go to the unloading table its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. After they are cleared and go back to their carts its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. At that end of the day before they put their 73s back into their car its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever, Why all the levering? Don't they think the thing is going to work? No wonder so many 73s are getting worn out. For every shot fired down range its levered at least five times.

I always laugh at the "sound of that 12 gauge pump will make the bad guy quake in his boots" theory. Sounds great though.

Truth is, a good percentage of the dirtbags breaking into houses wouldn't know the sound of a shotgun going into battery from a Cuisinart.

Any sound you make will get their attention and result in them either (A) blindly opening fire if they're armed or (B) trying to get the hell out.

I prefer to be real quiet, hold my ground, and let them make the first mistake.

But that's just me.

There's a gunshop near me that has 3 of them for sale at $199 each....AS IS.

I suppose one would have to buy all 3 to get the requisite number in order to compete. :blink:

Have you ever noticed the typical 73 shooter? When they are unloading their car and putting their guns into their cart they always lever, lever, lever, lever, lever, their 73s. Then when it’s their turn to go to the loading table as they take their 73 out of the cart its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. Once they get to the loading table its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. After they are done shooting and go to the unloading table its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. After they are cleared and go back to their carts its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever. At that end of the day before they put their 73s back into their car its lever, lever, lever, lever, lever, Why all the levering? Don't they think the thing is going to work? No wonder so many 73s are getting worn out. For every shot fired down range its levered at least five times.

Exactly. Open the action.

Make sure there's no round still chambered or on the carrier.

Close it.

Drop the hammer.

Why do more work than necessary? There's a good reason my place is called The Lazy Bob. :lol:

I always laugh at the "sound of that 12 gauge pump will make the bad guy quake in his boots" theory. Sounds great though.

What always made me wonder about that is, why on Earth is your self-defense gun not already stoked? :blink: I'm gonna rely on the noise the shell makes when it fires to take care of the bad guy, not the sound of the action. ;)

O.K fellers, ya gotta picture this:

YOU ARE the bad guy in a strange house. Its DARK. Its QUIET. You can even sense your guiltless heart beating.

Your focused on the kitchen table and/or counter tops looking for $$$, watches, wallet, pocketbook, etc...

Then the dark of the night is split wide open with this gosh aweful sound: KARACKA-RACKA!

(If your lucky, it won't be followed by the ominous 'Ka-Boom' and fire.)

You have NO idea where the nose came from. Its sound was deafening and seemed to bounce echos off every wall. If your the bad guy, you have just realized that you've entered the occupied nesting grounds of Godzilla.

If you fire in any direction, you've just allowed Godzilla to breath down fire on ya.

Your best bet is to exit the nesting area as quickly as possible without aggravating the situation even worse.

Anyhow, just thought I would throw out a story for the Wire Pards to smile about although I don't now ifn it really works this way.

..........Widder

I'm with Bob on this. Most self defense scenarios in people's heads depend on the perp behaving in a logical, predetermined way. I can assure you from personal experience that a thug breaking into a home has a very limited capacity for rational and logical thought. If he did, he'd be in a different line of work. It ain't a Hollywood movie.

Thread hijack over. :)

I only rack once! I just don't want to wearout the action.

Rock(who's been told a time er two she has a nice rack)y :blush:

now I've got the hiccups! And smiling all the way to the water cooler. :)

..........Wid-hix-der

I only rack once! I just don't want to wearout the action.

Rock(who's been told a time er two she has a nice rack)y :blush:

I was lettin my hair grow so I could get one of those famous Ms. Rocky haircuts at EOT. After reading her post, what little hair I had left fell out.:)

Archived