SASS Wire Forum

160gr .45LC through a Schofield?

Howdy all,

I started out with 200gr bullets through my schofields but want to try 160gr. Does anyone have any experience with these featherweights through a schofield. I'll be using Trail Boss and probably start about midway on the load chart, maybe working a little lighter.

Thanks,

Whiskey James

Not in Schofields, but I just started loading 160 grain Badman bullets for my .45 Colt 75 Remingtons. I'm loading half-case loads APP (BP sub) with filler and those bullets are sweet to shoot. I seat them just deep enough so that my Lee Factory Crimp die crimps in the groove. My 66 eats 'em up like candy and so do my Remmies...

Not in Schofields, but I just started loading 160 grain Badman bullets for my .45 Colt 75 Remingtons. I'm loading half-case loads APP (BP sub) with filler and those bullets are sweet to shoot. I seat them just deep enough so that my Lee Factory Crimp die crimps in the groove. My 66 eats 'em up like candy and so do my Remmies...

Charlie, How do these loads do for blow by in your rifle and/or do they gum up you pistols to a worse degree vs. the 200 grainer's? Just wondering as I'm presently pretty happy with my 200 grain loads, but often wondered about sliming down to the 160's. Smithy.

Howdy all,

I started out with 200gr bullets through my schofields but want to try 160gr. Does anyone have any experience with these featherweights through a schofield. I'll be using Trail Boss and probably start about midway on the load chart, maybe working a little lighter.

Thanks,

Whiskey James

Ought to be OK. Don't go too close to the top of the data, as they will run over 1000 fps.....

That is the trouble with .45 LC and light bullets. By the time ya get the powder to burn well, they're scooting right along. Short cases are the answer there ;) In C45S one load that runs real well for folks will be only 535 fps or so with a 160. Ya can't get anywhere close to that with LONG COLT.

Smithy, I'm like you. I like the 200gr through the '73. I like shooting them in the Schofields but just want to give a light one a try.

Jack, I may be able to get some Schofield brass here shortly and will try that also.

Thanks,

WJ

I also use AJ's Cowboy Special brass and am really pleased with the way it shoots. I only use the short cases in my pistols. I am a black powder shooter and with the 160 grainer and a full case of BP, my Rugers just sing :wub: The felt recoil is no more than my factory 148 gr .38's I shoot in a S & W 686. I am a real fan of these short .45 loads. :rolleyes:

Smithy, I'm like you. I like the 200gr through the '73. I like shooting them in the Schofields but just want to give a light one a try.

Jack, I may be able to get some Schofield brass here shortly and will try that also.

Thanks,

WJ

Howdy WJ. You may know this already, but the rim diameter of Schofield brass is slightly larger than Colt brass. Depending on your press, you may need a different shell holder or shell plate.

If your goal is a light load, skip the Schofield brass and go with the .45 CS. Its smaller capacity gives you better combustion with light loads.

Good luck!

I shoot'em in my Bisley Vaqueros and Schofield brass, when I shoot the Classic Cowboy category! They work really well for pistol only. As for our loads, Start w/ mimimums and work up to see what your pistols will shoot accurately without messing w/ your sights. As always I recommend a firm/ consistant crimp

PM me as needed for my loading info...

Kindest regards,

CBA

Since this thread is about TB and .45, a visual aid might help understand the old "case capacity and minimum pressure" issue, and how Schofields aren't really an answer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/002-5.jpg

here's another that shows the bullets I use in the short cases, with TB or Bullseye to run anything from a 125 to a 160 in pistols, and if I wanna swat something HARD (or run em in an unmodified 73, the round on the far right, with a 268 gr .455 Webley HB bullet gets it done.

WOW 7.0 grains as a minimum load of TB! That's one and a half the minimum for a 200gr. Is the recoil noticeably lighter with the 160? Does anyone have a TB minimum load other than that published that they could PM me?

Thanks AJ and everyone. And yes AJ, I will probably try some of your .45 cases. Do you sell them direct?

Whiskey

WOW 7.0 grains as a minimum load of TB! That's one and a half the minimum for a 200gr. Is the recoil noticeably lighter with the 160? Does anyone have a TB minimum load other than that published that they could PM me?

Thanks AJ and everyone. And yes AJ, I will probably try some of your .45 cases. Do you sell them direct?

Whiskey

For all the C45S info, cowboy45special.com

KD Killer all the Swat of the 45 ????????????????????????????????

BULL!!!

The power factor comes up about 90 short ....

My loads clock 960 Fps out of my 5 1/2 inch gun with a 250 gr, RNFP ...... And that matches excatly the loads left me by my grand dad as to velocities and bullet weight ...

Jabez Cowboy

KD Killer all the Swat of the 45 ????????????????????????????????

BULL!!!

The power factor comes up about 90 short ....

My loads clock 960 Fps out of my 5 1/2 inch gun with a 250 gr, RNFP ...... And that matches excatly the loads left me by my grand dad as to velocities and bullet weight ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez, I'm so tired of you and your grandpa's loads. NOBODY else in CAS shoots or gives a dang about such loads, and NOBODY I've ever talked with have been able to duplicate em, (and many have tried). We can all recite your frequent lame post by heart. Give it a rest.

Heck my .32 S & W long loads have a Power Factor of over 100 !!!

For loading info on this load check "KEN WATERS" (Pet loads)

So stop pretending that the .45 colt was ever intended to be less than half as powerful as a .38 sp. and less than 70% as powerful as it is possible to load a .32 S&W Long to ....

You are free to shoot your beyond wimp loads ,,,,,, but don't pretend they are at all like real .45 loads ...

If you want to shoot loads lighter than factory .32 S&W long loads (power factor 69.98) Why not just shoot a smaller caliber ????

But have Fun with your beyond WIMP loads ....

Jabez Cowboy

Hey guys,

This thread is about shooting 160gr .45LC bullets through Schofields. Don't turn it into another SASS Wire fight. You can do that on PM's. Remember all the "can't we all just get along" threads the last couple of weeks.

Whiskey

Archived