SASS Wire Forum

Issues again with my 1866

Jgbeerman

So I was all excited, got my two different types of ammo from Georgia Arms and went over to the range and got one shot down range before it jammed. It appears that one of the round actually slides back into the area with the lever mechanism, which prevents me from operating the gun. It is super easy to fix, just remove the loading gate and I get the live ammo out and the gun works again.

It may be an easy fix, but that would be a killer at a match. Is the ammo slipping back a common occurrence in the 66?

Any information is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks

So I was all excited, got my two different types of ammo from Georgia Arms and went over to the range and got one shot down range before it jammed. It appears that one of the round actually slides back into the area with the lever mechanism, which prevents me from operating the gun. It is super easy to fix, just remove the loading gate and I get the live ammo out and the gun works again.

It may be an easy fix, but that would be a killer at a match. Is the ammo slipping back a common occurrence in the 66?

Any information is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks

What caliber is it?

The loading gates of older '66s were very prone to breaking the small tab off of the back of loading gate. That tab, which is perpendicular to the body of the loading gate, is a retainer to stop the cartridge from being forced back from the carrier into the lever and lifter. You need a new loading gate.

VTI has new loading gates. Most folks reinforce the loading gate with some JB Weld to help strengthen it.

Good luck, GJ

.38 special

Is your loading broke or bent that is a common problem and two ways to fix it, go to VTI and but the enhanced loading gate or take JB weld and put a little behind the tab so it does not bend any more if broke look for a replacement, but ammo shouldn't slide back that far unless the loading gate has failed, and by the way it's the loading gates job to stop ammo as it enters into carrier from the loading tube.

KK

The cartridge should be contained in the brass carrier/elevator.

To see a cartridge where it should be (only a little bit angled) see:

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix1.jpg

The frame of the rifle should have a small enough opening for the carrier lifter arm, but it should NOT allow a cartridge to be "beyond" the carrier.

If the cartridge is a little too short for the carrier, the cartridge will allow the next cartridge to come back too far onto the carrier and therefore lock up the action. Open the lever enough to get the firing pin and bolt out of the way, so you can see the cartridges on the carrier. The one in the mag tube should be sticking back onto the carrier but not beyond the front bevel. If that is the case, you can have the front bevel of the carrier lengthened to be more length forgiving.

If the cartridge is too canted, such as in the above picture, the frame may need relieving as shown in:

JD Yellowhammer's 66/73 Fix

May be well worth having a good smith look it over to be safe.

But it is most likely what the other guys have said - a broken loading spoon/ladle.

I still have the tab on my loading gate but it is not perfectly straight. If I had to approximate I would say its got a 5% bend backwards.

Should it be perfectly perpendicular?

If so I will just order a new one from VTI.

Thanks for all the information

I still have the tab on my loading gate but it is not perfectly straight. If I had to approximate I would say its got a 5% bend backwards.

Should it be perfectly perpendicular?

If so I will just order a new one from VTI.

Thanks for all the information

I should be straight maybe a little forward just order a new and make sure you get the aftermarket heavy duty one from VTI gunparts.

KK

I should be straight maybe a little forward just order a new and make sure you get the aftermarket heavy duty one from VTI gunparts.

KK

I've tried to bend them back straight.. they are already weakened.. then usually break off.

When you get your new one.. (and maybe a spare :blush: )

Reinforce them with JB weld...

I've put in the extra tough loading gates and had the same problem again..

Reinforce them and problem solved..

Since doing this to mine.. it's run for probably 6 years without a problem there..

Sold my extra to a fellow cowpoke who didn't know there was a problem with loading gates on the yellowboys.

Rance <_<

I've tried to bend them back straight.. they are already weakened.. then usually break off.

When you get your new one.. (and maybe a spare :blush: )

Reinforce them with JB weld...

I've put in the extra tough loading gates and had the same problem again..

Reinforce them and problem solved..

Since doing this to mine.. it's run for probably 6 years without a problem there..

Sold my extra to a fellow cowpoke who didn't know there was a problem with loading gates on the yellowboys.

Rance <_<

sounds good!

What is JB weld?

so on the VTI site there are many options for the 1866 carbine loading gate.

How do I tell if the gun is pre 2005 or post 2005?

127 BA:220127/C Aftermkt Load Gate Case Hard. (1866) Small Scrw Hole .090" OD (pre 2005) Check Stock US$26.95

127 BA:220127/lg/c Aftermrkt Load Gate Case Hard. (1866) Large Screw Hole .115" OD (2005+) Check Stock US$26.95

All of the bent tab style gates, regardless of who makes them, used the past ten years or so will bend or break at the most inconvenient time. JB weld will help, but the best solution is to solder in a steel reinforcement. Top, old style solid tab. (No longer made.) Center, bent finger tab with the finger broken off. Bottom, bent finger tab reinforced with a piece of steel.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1000302.jpg

Order directly from the manufacture for the upgraded loading gate, Brass Action Gunshop in Fremont, Nebraska. They make them for VTI, Cimmaron, etc. and you will pay about half the price...

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Brass.Action.Gun.Shop.402-721-2211

so on the VTI site there are many options for the 1866 carbine loading gate.

How do I tell if the gun is pre 2005 or post 2005?

127 BA:220127/C Aftermkt Load Gate Case Hard. (1866) Small Scrw Hole .090" OD (pre 2005) Check Stock US$26.95

127 BA:220127/lg/c Aftermrkt Load Gate Case Hard. (1866) Large Screw Hole .115" OD (2005+) Check Stock US$26.95

I couldn't tell for sure when I ordered mine, either, so I ordered the one for the large screw hole with the idea that a bigger screw should be better than a smaller one. If you're wrong, you can very carefully drill the hole out enough to take the bigger screw. Just make sure you order the screw at the same time and you're golden. I ordered two, reinforced them both with JB Weld, and keep one in my gun cart for emergencies...

A couple of mine, the top one is a new tab I fabbed and silver soldered onto a ladle with a broken off tab. Bottom one is a reinforced tab before it bent or broke off.

PIC

What is JB weld?

JB Weld

A few months back I ordered a replacement screw for my pre-2005 '66 from VTI. The one I received was a bit longer than the original. Had to grind off some so it would work. Just FYI.

Specialty tool.....If you get a tool box with JB weld, duct tape, Zip ties and yer' ready for anything.

Warning JB is a permanent fix. After it dries there is no going back, so be judicious on how much you use and what you use it on. I carry it in all my vehicles, it's great stuff. It also comes in a quick drying version for when you can't wait 24 hours.

JB Weld requires a "CLEEN" surface to bond too. Also helps if you rough it up a bit. Silver soldering a support in is best although I have a JB welded gate that his ben running for about 6 years. See Pettifogger's post for an example of the fix "before" it breaks. You can also contact Cowboys and Indian Store. Jim Lincoln does a nice reinforced gate.

Coffinmaker

Archived