SASS Wire Forum

Fire Restrictions Affect Founders Ranch

The New Mexico Forestry Division published fire restrictions on its website. Founders Ranch is in an affected county. I see that smoking will be allowed many places. There are restrictions on campfires. I will not elaborate or interpet other than to note I still can shoot black powder. (I hope fire marshalls don't consider my loads "fireworks displays.") Please see the Forestry Division's proclamation for details.

if i understand correctly, this means a charcoal grill is out of the question for EOT?

would be a major bummer,we were planning to have a nice BBQ with the Dutch and German people

Dutch Bear

To all EOT 2011 attendees the Forestry Manager has issued a Fire Restriction,for our county which is now in effect at Founders Ranch, until further notice. This means no smoking out of doors, no camp or cooking fires of any kind. (ie: charcoal,propane, white gas etc.)

If conditions change we will notify you on the SASS wire.

Best Regards

Bighorn

Founders Ranch Manager

• 2 weeks later...

looks like some misinformation might be out there. smoking in the bays seems to comply with the barren area rule as does propane and white gas cooking.

taken from the NMFI website

FIRE RESTRICTIONS ON STATE AND PRIVATE LANDS

•Smoking: Allowed only in enclosed buildings, in developed recreation areas, within structures, in vehicles equipped with ashtrays on paved or surfaced roads, and in areas at least three feet in diameter that are barren or cleared of all flammable material.•Campfires: Banned in all open areas including New Mexico State Parks unless the following exceptions are met:

◦For cooking or heating devices that use kerosene, white gas or propane as a fuel in an improved camping area that is cleared of all flammable vegetation for at least 30 feet or has a water source. (For information, contact park managers or visit www.nmparks.com).

• 4 weeks later...

ok,

wat is the rule are Gas BBQ's allowed or not? wen it is allowed, we wil just buy a cheap gas bbq to use for the hole holiday.

but it would be nice to have an answer before leaving home

we fly in a couple of days and i don't beleave i will have a lot of internet once we are on the road with the camper.

hope to see ya all in a couple of weeks

Dutch Bear

I just pulled this from the NM Forestry Dept. website. It is the 2011-01 fire restrictions. I figured this would help clear up some confusion.

Full Document Here

SMOKING. FIREWORK. CAMPFIRE. AND OPEN FIRE RESTRICTIONS FOR EASTERN.

SOUTHWEST. AND SOUTH CENTRAL NEW MEXICO

Due to abnormally warm temperatures, low humidity, high winds, and the abundance of dry,

fine fuels, fire danger throughout much of New Mexico is high. Fire incidents for all wildland

fire agencies are increasing daily. Pursuant to NMSA, Section 68-2-16, and other sections of

the Forest Conservation Act, NMSA 1978, Section 68-2-1 to 68-2-25, and 19.20.3 NMAC;

Restrictions for Fire Prevention, the Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department,

Forestry Division, State Forester, has placed the following restrictions on non-municipal, nonfederal,

and non-tribal lands in Bernalillo, Catron, Chaves, Cibola, Curry, DeBaca, Dona Ana,

Eddy, Grant, Guadalupe, Harding, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, Mora, McKinley, Otero, Quay,

Roosevelt, Sandoval, Santa Fe, San Miguel, Sierra, Socorro, Torrance, Valencia, and Union

counties. The State Forester has also placed the following restrictions on non-municipal, nonfederal,

and non-tribal lands in the following county for that portion of the county east of

Interstate 25: Colfax.

SMOKING, FIREWORKS, CAMPFIRES, OPEN BURNING, AND OPEN FIRES ARE PROHIBITED UNLESS THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET:

Smoking is prohibited except in enclosed buildings, within vehicles equipped with ashtrays, and on paved or surfaced roads, developed recreation sites, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.

Fireworks are prohibited in wildland areas. Wildland areas include lands covered wholly or in part in timber, brush, grass, grain, or other flammable vegetation. The State Forester is allowing exceptions to the ban on fireworks where they are a part of a public exhibit approved by the local fire department.

Campfires are prohibited unless the following exceptions are met. _An exception is granted where cooking or heating devices use kerosene, white gas, or propane as a fuel in an improved camping area that is cleared of flammable vegetation for at least 30 feet or has a water source. New Mexico State Parks are 'included in this prohibition. For information on this contact the local State Park Manager or visit the website at www.nmparks.com.

Forestry Division ~~ • 1220 South St. Francis Drive • Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 Phone (505) 476-3325 • Fax (505) 476-3330 • www.emnrd.state.nm.us/FD

The State Forester is also allowing exceptions for charcoal grills and wood and coal stoves within yards associated with a residence or on the premises of a business.

I believe that as long as you have a water source you should be fine. I don't know if the camping area is considered improved or not you might have to ask someone at the ranch. But a propane grill should be alright.

Is the N Ariz fire gonna' affect EOT ? Smoke ect?

The fire could affect EOT. The fire is only 5% contained and is enormous. It may still be burning during EOT. Prevailing winds often carry smoke into the Albuquerque metro area, though we have days with a blue sky and no visible smoke. I frequently can't see the tops of the mountains so I expect the smoke is thicker at Founders Ranch than where I live. Sometimes the mountains can't be seen at all. The Albuquerque airport has been closed due to limited visibility with flights diverted to El Paso. US60 from Arizona goes through the fire area and is closed. You can view smoke forecasts for Founders Ranch at this National Weather Service Forecast site. If you see smoke at Founders Ranch more likely its from charred Ponderosa pines and not Goex. Just hope that the fire crews contain the fire soon or the wind blows the right way.

You can judge the amount of smoke yourself from this webcam located on Sandia Creast and looking west over Albuquerque.

Gas fired grills have NEVER been a problem before, even during fire restrictions. But, this IS the driest year in NM in many years. Open campfires and charcoal grills are rarely allowed on the Ranch, and especially at EOT. You might see a food vendor allowed to do it, but no campers.

Just have to play it by ear. Good luck, GJ

I would heed Big Horn's post.

The camping area at the ranch IS NOT an improved camping area!!!! It is vegetated and there is not cleared of all vegetation and their is no water source. A bucket of water is not a water source. You will need a well head / county water system hose bib or tanker truck (running Water )at the fire area.

RE: ◦For cooking or heating devices that use kerosene, white gas or propane as a fuel in an improved camping area that is cleared of all flammable vegetation for at least 30 feet or has a water source.

The food vendor area is improved and cleared of all vegetation with water source ( running water ).

• 11 months later...

To all EOT 2011 attendees the Forestry Manager has issued a Fire Restriction,for our county which is now in effect at Founders Ranch, until further notice. This means no smoking out of doors, no camp or cooking fires of any kind. (ie: charcoal,propane, white gas etc.)

If conditions change we will notify you on the SASS wire.

Best Regards

Bighorn

Founders Ranch Manager

:(

That was from 2011. See above for 2012 restrictions issued 6/8/12. Personally, I liked the Germans idea of instead of a firepit, they had a pool.

Dang. You are right. So maybe I go ahead and throw the gas grill in and take it.

Heres what Sante Fe county is saying as of Wednesday

June 13, 2012

Santa Fe County Open Burn Restrictions Still In Effect

Santa Fe, NM – June 13, 2012 – The Santa Fe County Fire Department, through adoption by the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) issued Ordinance 2012- 8, an emergency ordinance declaring hazardous fire conditions and imposing restrictions on open fires, smoking and other ignition sources. The open burn restrictions are due to low winter and spring precipitation, high winds and extreme fire danger. Restrictions are effective immediately and will be reviewed in 30 days for consideration of an extension. The BCC passed Ordinance 2012-6 on April 24, 2012 to impose the same restrictions.

Ordinance 2012-8 Prohibits:

•Open fires of any kind;Open burning of vegetation or rubbish;Littering on public roadways/areas with ignited smoking materials;

•Campfires;

•Smoking within a County park,

•campground or any wild land area, except within an enclosed vehicle or in a building which is specifically authorized for such and is exempt from the New Mexico No Smoking in Public Facilities Act;

•Littering on public roadways/areas with ignited smoking materials;

•Use of off-road vehicles, motor bikes, or other motorized apparatus within County parks, campgrounds and wild land areas; and

•The issuance of licenses or permits for open burning;

"The state and local community have experienced several fires this year and we need to address the extreme fire danger conditions by taking all measures necessary," said Fire Chief David Sperling.

For more information contact the Santa Fe County Fire Prevention Division at (505) 995-6523.

Archived