SASS Wire Forum

whats the best double barrel (hammerless)

C BEAUX

I got the 26" 12ga bobwhite from CDNN for $499 and I like it but I have only used it for trap so far. Like more new shotguns its very stiff and needs to get slicked up or broken in before its really good for a SASS match. People on Shotgunworld had put very high round counts though this brand and its built like its going to really hold up. Its also very nice looking. I have been told the internals are not as nice looking as the outside but that does not bother me. The wood used is very high quality but the finish is a bit thick and muddy. Many people refinish and to show off the high quality grain and figure. The company had issue with single trigger shotguns in the past but never had issues with double trigger models like the Bobwhite. If you have a good gunsmith to slick up the gun I think you are going to like it. The gun has a 5 year warrantee.

Hope that helps

My CZ Amarillo (a less fancy grade but still purty) has been a great shooter for my brass cased BP loads. Got it used so someone else smoothed up for me.

i have three different brands for CAS. i dont have a CZ. my least favorite is the baikal. it takes a special smith to get it to stay open right and i didnt find one. my favorites are the stoegers. bought one new and several used they are all CAS friendly. the most important thing to me is the double triggers. single triggers have to reset and seem to cause folks troubles i've never had with mine.

good luck

CC

The SKB or Browning BSS are considered "The Best" hammerless shotguns. Expensive though. I just got one of these Yildiz shotgun. It has all the right ingredients for a good CAS shotgun. I plan to send it to Goatneck Clem for a makeover. Hopefully it will be a good, inexpensive alternative to an SKB or BSS. I have an SKB that Goatneck did and it's really nice.

THANKS YALL IM LOOKING FOR A SKB DOUBLE TRIGGER OR ILL HAVE TO OPT FOR A CZ

Miroku made three (general) types of double guns. The Browning, which has a mechanical single trigger, the SKB, which has an inertial single trigger, and the Charles Daily, which is a double trigger gun.

Sounds like you want to look for a Charles Daily. They are usually inexpensive, but same quality as other Mirokus.

I have a Daly 500 which is the predecessor to the Browning BSS (both made by Miroku). Interestingly enough it has the same internals as the early SKB's which were apparently also made by Miroku.

I have a CZ Durango. THat's the hammerless coach gun. Beautiful gun... took quite a bit of work to make it run for our game.

Boss, Famars, Powell, Purdy, Scott, Richards, Scott, etc. Browning will still make a nice double in Belgium to your order. Connecticut Shotguns makes nice Model 21's here in the USA or you can get a used Winchester 21.

"Best" is a very subjective word and probably should be modified by adding "in the price range of $XXX to $X,XXX." You fill in the X's.

Has anyone used a cz bobwhite or ringneck???

I like the look of the CZ side by sides and would not mind having one for a hunting gun. Having said that, I would not buy one for CAS, primarily because of the locking lug, sometimes called a rib extension, that projects back between the barrels. Although you can learn to live with it, this lug makes loading a double slower because you have to get your shells on either side of it and its got sharp corners that want to hook on the shells. I have seen folks round and taper these, but its not a great fix. The Stoeger does not have this lug so, once the cambers are chamfered a little, you only need to get the shells in the neighborhood and they go in. loading the shotgun is one area that can eat up a lot of time (some folks say you loose matches with a shotgun) so buying one that comes with built in challenges may not be the best thing to do.

Like I say, I like the guns otherwise.

Question asked: What is the best hammerless SxS.

Answer can be given in 1 word: Parker.

+! and in a 16 Ga trojan grade that are not that expensive... I have seen nice tight ones with little original finish on the metal and refinished stock go for as little as $600 at gun shows here in Maine

+! and in a 16 Ga trojan grade that are not that expensive... I have seen nice tight ones with little original finish on the metal and refinished stock go for as little as $600 at gun shows here in Maine

Well said, Doc.

With a little effort, you can find a decent Parker for surprisingly short money, if you know where to look.

In fact, I know of one for sale in Massachusetts for $800 that looks REALLY fine. Tag says that it's been refinished, prior to 1900. (Gun was made in 1893.) It seems to be in great condition, but, it has Damascus barrels, and in spite of just as many comments that say you can shoot them, I am personally more inclined to believe those who say you can't. (It does pass the "ring test.")

Still, the price is right...

At this time I would say stay away from the Stoeger if you're gonna run it hard...

I shoot a lot, and my BP loads ain't light. One Stoeger I had... the front lug sheared off. That makes for a large paperweight

Another Stoeger I had, the stock disintegrated during a match. No evidence of cracking beforehand. Pieces just started falling off!

Then this past week at the SC State match, had another one have the front lug crack off.

I heard of this happening to others, now its done me in twice.

No more Stoegers for me!

Archived