SASS Wire Forum

Almost Frontiersman,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Well, even if SASS doesn't want us to have fun with our Lilliputian .31 cal Colt and Remington c&b pistols I'm a gonna shoot them anyhows! Was actually given an ok some time back to shoot them without score in the locals. I figure I can tend these with my big gun equipment, for the most part, but do need a bit of help from those with experience. A pair of Uberti '49s and a pair of the really tiny Remington spur trigger Piettas, and I have no other specialty loading components or recipes for these tiny guns. Need to know ball size and a reasonably priced source and are balls the same size for both models? I figure fff Goex will work but do not know what would be a standard load for these guns and I am sure the Rems would need to be much lighter than the '49s. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated and what the heck, I like to talk bp in general!

I use 8-10 grains of FFFg & a 315 roundball.

A lot of folks use 0 buckshot pellets.

You can't overload them. However much powder fits in & still allows for a ball will work.

--Dawg

What PD said; although in my Uberti '49 Pocket I use the 12 grain spout that came on my flask. For a brass framed .31, 8-10 would be right.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Come shoot with us but expect to be called for a lot of misses. Hard to see or hear them little bitty balls.

Actually I build plenty of misses in fer them spotter guys anyhows, missus calls it blindness! Sounds like 10grs might be a good compromise for the '49s but I can measure the total capacity of the Rem chamber and track from there. The Rem is overall much smaller than the Colt but?

Also, if yer using a wonder wad underneath the ball, don't ferget to account for that.

If yer using a cylinder loader instead of the on-board rammer, you can get more compression, so you can go with more powder.

Trial & error at the range will determine what your particular gun & your set-up can produce.

--Dawg

Archived