SASS Wire Forum

Help with a '92 ammo question

I have a '92 I picked up from Nate Kiowa Jones for when I want to play B-Western (yes, I know Marlin is a better gun for CAS). I shot it last weekend at our match and it was a disaster, stovepiping on me repeatedly. I was using .38 125 gr. truncated cone bullets at a 1.44 OAL. Gawd Awful gave me some of his .357 RNFP, but they seemed too long, almost having to force the lever closed (I do not know the OAL of those bullets).

Can any of you who shoot a '92 tell me what your OAL is, and what type of bullet you use successfully? I tried to give Nate a call, but just got an answering machine, and he has not replied to my email. He must be busy or out of town.

Appreciate any feedback.

Okie

If one is a fast shooter and competitive to the hilt - maybe, the Marlin is a better gun...my experience is that all my guns still outshoot me :lol:

I don't understand why the 357/38 Rossi '92's are finicky (if it is a Rossi). I just picked up a nice SS Rossi '92 in .45 Colt from Outlaw Gambler and it will feed both 45 Colts and 45 Schofields - though the larger rim of the Scholfield requires a little more pressure to close the bolt all the way.

Maybe hold out for NKJ to talk to ya - he should be able to tell you the OAL he used when the rifle was worked on...hope it gets worked out for ya pard!.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A 38 special case and a 158 gr. RNFP loaded 1.5" works best for me.

Although the link below is a question about who sells them it does have a bit of info pertaining to your question.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168058&view=findpost&p=2166770&hl=%2Blong+%2Bloaded+%2B38&fromsearch=1

I shoot one as well (with an action job by NKJ). It likes OALs over 1.50. I load (as close as possible) to 1.53 just to make sure. As NKJ has told me, it likes it to be as close to a .357 as possible. I've found trying to get much longer than that with a 125 grn bullet and the lube starts showin'. :blush:

Still, I will jam occasionally if I try to get too quick with it and short-stroke it. I just remember to action it forward til it stops then back til it locks. It takes some getting used to, just like anything else.

....as a humorous aside....my loading gate broke last weekend, and I got to borrow a tricked-out, short stroke 73 to finish the match.....the first time I actioned it, I jerked the darned thing off my shoulder! :lol:

Chick

I shoot a 92 slicked by Nate,I shoot 125gr RNFP and they are 1.53 OAL.My other 92 all so slicked by Nate shot 1.50 and 1.53.It has been shot as fast as a 92 can run,not by me but by a world champ and the 1.53s runs with never a hicup.

Okay, thank ya kindly gents. Looks like a 1.53 OAL is what I need. I gave my pard Dynamite a call and he just so happens to load 147 gr. bullets for his Marlin at 1.535 OAL, so he is going to give me a box to try at the range. Appreciate the quick feedback.

Okie

Howdy Okie!

It's definitely an ammo problem, not a gun problem.

I feed my '92 with 158 grainers in a .357 case, and it likes 'em between 1.565" and 1.595".

It's not fussy about bullet shape either - round nose, round nose flat point and semi-wadcutters all feed with no problems.

I slicked mine up using Nate's DVD. If he did the work on yours then you know it's been done right.

If memory serves Nate Kiowa Jones has written that the 92 Rossi in 357 generally requires a bullet with an OAL of at least 1.5. Anything less than that invites problems. You might do a search and find out. Nate is the Rossi expert. So I would take him at his word.

Shooting 38's in the chamber will leave a residue right at the case mouth. No problem if that's what your shooting, 1.50-1.53 will be fine. The problem comes when trying to shoot .357's after the .38's without cleaning the chamber. They run up to the residue line and get sticky....that's why it was hard to chamber the .357's. If you start with a clean chamber and shoot .357's all day, then switch to .38's no problem cuz they are shorter. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Didn't even think of that, but he might be right Okie. The 357 might have had problems because it was dirty from the 38s leaving a ring in there. You dirty shooter you

Okie,

The only bullet I've used in the two .38 Rossi's I have is one cast from a Saeco 390 mold. This is a .358 158 RN. IIRC, it loads in the crimp groove with an OAL ~1.56".

IMO, put a .010-.015" shim behind the right guide rail, polish the detent for the carrier on the left rail and try with your ammo again.

Are your cases stovepiping or the loaded rounds. If the bullets are not feeding and end up sticking out of the gun that is an unusual problem. If the empty cases are stovepiping, in other words not ejecting, bullet length is not your problem. Look at your ejector and or extractor. Either one of those out of spec could cause stopepiping.

My tuned Rossi 92 works best with .357s loaded to 1.58-1.61 oal. (I seem to get all of my .357 brass back after shooting, not so with .38s)

If your cartridges are stovepiping prior with the lever fully down you might want to check the left and right cartridge guides. The round may not be held securely or it may be pinched.

Howdy all.........

I just got done loading some samples for Nate and sent them to him this week.......you are correct with the overall length at 1.5"...

Samples were 158 gr - but other weights are available.

If anyone needs more info you can email me at Sttarrwolf@aol.com.

These 38 rounds will be available in the near future to folks who want to try them. Dummie rounds and match ammo.

Best regards.....Wolf Wind-Walker SASS#36748 MP#4

I shoot a 92 and had some issues until I got the "Nate DVD" kit and worked it over per his instructions. I also load the Moulton 147 gr. bullets @ 1.52 OAL, the only thing that gives issue now is the "Loose Nut" operating the gun. :wacko:

Cholla

Nate had the gun in his shop, with his action job -- apparently someone didn't take it, so I did. So I am ASSuming it is not the gun, but an ammo issue. If the 1.535 ammo does not correct the problem, then I need to watch his video closely, break the gun down completely and look for any problems.

Big Jake, I did not know that about the .38/.357 residue issue. Thanks for the heads up. I just figured it was Gawd Awful's ammo -- Lord only knows what that boy does... :blink:;)

I use a 158 gr RNFP at 1.52

Ring around the chamber.....ring around the chamber....we all fall down. Clean it good and shoot .150-.153 .38 spl's and you'll be fine. If you load .357 cases, you'll be fine too. Most people shoot .38's cuz they're cheaper to lose a few at a match. If NKJ worked the rifle over before he sold it to you, it was just a ring around the chamber problem. Just sayin'

Big Jake

A while back I bought a 92 from NKJ there was a dummy cartridge in the box to provide a go-by for length. Maybe that is not typical but it sure saved me some trail and error...

A while back I bought a 92 from NKJ there was a dummy cartridge in the box to provide a go-by for length. Maybe that is not typical but it sure saved me some trail and error...

I think Nate thought I was dummy enough, so he didn't send me one. ;) I was going to try out the 1.53 today, but it has been downpouring all day. This has been the worst spring I have seen in my 23 years in the Pacific NorthWet. :angry:

Okie,

I switched to 1.50 in my 73 and it seems to run a lot better. If I could just control the guy moving the finger lever everything would be great!

The 1.44 run great in Wildcat's '73 -- it is a Long Hunter version. She has an occasional hiccup, so maybe going a little longer will help that. :unsure:

Okie,

I switched to 1.50 in my 73 and it seems to run a lot better. If I could just control the guy moving the finger lever everything would be great!

Howdy Paladin!

If you want to get that '73 to really run without any ammo problems, measure your carrier, subtract the thickness of a cartridge rim, and that will be your ideal OAL. Mine likes 'em at 1.565".

Try the MOULTON 147 grain bullets and experiment with them until you find a length that YOUR rifle likes. When I owned 92's in 357/38, 44pec/ 44 mag and 45 Colt, I discoverd they all had their own ammo length preference.It drove to drinking, almost, so I sold'em off and got my first "73" and have never looked back.......

Start at 1.5 and work up. Mine finally settled on 1.547, imagine That!!! I shoot 1.5 length in my 73's and it shoots great. Also, Please be sure you use a firm crimp on your loads...

Respectfully,

CBA

Archived