SASS Wire Forum

BATF Audit for a gunsmith

Captain Bill Burt

The BATF, decided they were going to audit the guy doing some smithing on my pistols, on the day I was supposed to pick them up. Anyone have any experience with those? How long do they take, are they random, that sort of thing. The Smith has a good reputation, so I'm really only concerned with getting my stuff back in time for my next match, which is Sunday. Any thoughts?

3 Things that have an impact on the audit.

1. FFL's organization and completeness of paperwork.

2. FFL's business size.

3. FFL's attitude. A good idea not to wear a T-Shirt supporting Wayne LaPierre for President. :FlagAm:

Really shouldn't affect the return of your firearms, unless the agent discovers that the licensee failed to log in them. Of course, if he hasn't finished the work on them, the audit could delay the return just because he's having to devote his attention to other things for the moment.

Regards, TJH

In my experience, there are two ATFs, the agents(who are very nice guys in general) and the auditors (who can be real jerks). When I was running a shop in very southern California we worked closely with the ATF agents which led to several arrests for efforts to illegally export to Mexico as well as buy machine-guns and destructive devices. To be clear, these were not just misguided folks but real bad dudes involved in the Mexican drug trade. The kind of folks I am happy to send to jail. Years ago I also testified for the ATF and FBI in a terrorism trial (white supremacists who wanted to start a race war, not what you would call deep thinkers!) against some folks for lying on their 4473. Again, just the kind of folks you want to send to jail. Despite this, when it comes time for an audit, the folks they send out are not helpful in the least and they act like you are just waiting to sell hand grenades to little children. One of the agents I worked with told me that they don't even like the ATF auditors. But, if you keep your nose clean and do your paperwork correctly, there is not much they can do to you, so just smile and get on with life. Glad you got your guns back.

Appearance is everything. If things look neat and orderly, it will likely be short & painless, but if there are boxes randomly stacked all over, paperwork stacked hither & yon, a few guns laying out in disarray on the bench, tools all over, trash can running over, floor unswept, etc., they will naturally assume that the books are kept in the same manner. I've never had an audit in the gun room at my workplace that lasted more than 15 minutes.

3 Things that have an impact on the audit.

1. FFL's organization and completeness of paperwork.

2. FFL's business size.

3. FFL's attitude. A good idea not to wear a T-Shirt supporting Wayne LaPierre for President. :FlagAm:

4. Desirability of the gunsmith's location as a vacation resort. If the town sucks the agent will finish faster.

Do you think it would piss off one of those jerk auditors, if you had your lawyer sitting right next to him during the audit?

I have a friend in town that runs a Class III sales business dealing primarily in suppressors. He has the auditors sign in on a logbook with a short description of the purpose of the visit. Obviously he has had issues previously. Another friend with an FFL has been audited once in the last 7 years and it took about 20 minutes. I have had my FFL now for about three years and no one has as of yet called.

Archived