SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke 73

I know somebody out there has a link on "how to" install a short stoke kit. Would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.

N.C.

which short stroke do you have? Pioneer gunworks have install instruction on their website.

KK

I installed the Pioneer on my '73 a few weeks ago. It required a lot more fitting than I thought, but it wasn't anything that someone that is comfortable working on guns cannot handle (along with the Pioneer instructions and help from the folks here on the Wire). It took me so long to do because I was removing a little material at a time off of the carrier arm surface, and it actually required removing quite a bit of metal. Once you get the upstroke good (a bullet in the carrier will not contact the bullet guide on the bolt), you then have to get the downstroke timed right. I had to remove some material off of the other carrier arm surface because the carrier was trying to come down way before the bolt was fully forward. The carrier also protruded too far down when the lever was closed before I did this. After getting this part squared away, there was still a slight interference between the bolt and carrier on the down stroke. I removed just a little material off of the carrier. You could also take it off of the bolt if you prefer.

There are other things that you will want to do at the same time (if not already done). I had already installed the SlixSprings, so that was one step that wasn't needed. You will also want to lighten the hammer spring. I just added a piece of leather under the spring so I can adjust the tension with the hammer screw. You can get it pretty light without having primer issues. My wife and I have shot two matches with the '73 since the install without one malfunction.

Overall, it was a fun project and I learned a lot doing it.

Archived