SASS Wire Forum

Can we talk Cody-Matic

Rube Burrows

I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun but when I look on the website I dont have my questions answered and thought maybe you guys could help.

What I would really like to have is a 73 with a 18, 19 or possibly a 20" round barrel but I also want it to have the CCH finish. When I look on the site it shows the ones with those barrels at those lengths with only an Octagon barrel. Do they make one with a round barrel and CCH frame?

Am I just missing it?

How about some pics of your cody-matic?

Is there an overall consensus on which is the overall best configuration of his rifles?

Cimarron Arms imports a 73 SRC with a CCH frame and fire blue finish. :) I have one.

I have been reading a lot the past few days on the different offerings from the top smiths.....that is what I was hoping to do with this thread was, educate myself on the differences. My intentions were not to start a poo flinging contest.

Yer doing the right thing...and don't worry about the Poo flinging...unfortunately it just happens when folks are passionate about something.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Yer doing the right thing...and don't worry about the Poo flinging...unfortunately it just happens when folks are passionate about something.

Phantom

I'm passionate about Sour Kraut but, I'm pretty sure if I flung poo at her she'd kick my a$$. :o

(Not my best comedic effort but, I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. :P )

The first time I met Cody was at Mule Camp....way back when. I had been working on cowboy guns for a short while and owned a Cody-matic. Cody and Lone Dude were riding together in a golf cart (I think). We talked for a short while and I left with a good impression of both of them.

Over the years, I've shot with Cody or met him at one SASS event or another. He's been helpful at times and opinionated at others. But, I generally leave with having learned something new about the guns we shoot, or the people/politics in our sport.

Cody is one of the smiths in our game that goes out of his way to back up his work. His rifles are 99%+ reliable. They aren't 100%. Nobody who builds competition guns for this game is 100%. But some smiths are better than others when it comes to backing up their warranty with customer service. Cody is at the top of that list.

Most of the snide remarks about how one smith gets more press than another on the Wire is from folks who don't work on guns for a living. If they did, they'd know that most of us like each other and don't trash talk others in the fraternity.

Cody is a good shooter, a fine smith and a man who keeps his word.

The first time I met Cody was at Mule Camp....way back when. I had been working on cowboy guns for a short while and owned a Cody-matic. Cody and Lone Dude were riding together in a golf cart (I think). We talked for a short while and I left with a good impression of both of them.

Over the years, I've shot with Cody or met him at one SASS event or another. He's been helpful at times and opinionated at others. But, I generally leave with having learned something new about the guns we shoot, or the people/politics in our sport.

Cody is one of the smiths in our game that goes out of his way to back up his work. His rifles are 99%+ reliable. They aren't 100%. Nobody who builds competition guns for this game is 100%. But some smiths are better than others when it comes to backing up their warranty with customer service. Cody is at the top of that list.

Most of the snide remarks about how one smith gets more press than another on the Wire is from folks who don't work on guns for a living. If they did, they'd know that most of us like each other and don't trash talk others in the fraternity.

Cody is a good shooter, a fine smith and a man who keeps his word.

Show me a "Snide" remark about Cody.

The O.P. asked for "Similar" guns.

Then folks start implying that it is an attack on Cody if they mention anyone elses guns...like this is supposed to be some kind of Cody Advertisement.

And yes, he is a true Gunsmith...like many others...as opposed to simply Gun Mechanics.

OY!

Phantom

Cimarron Arms imports a 73 SRC with a CCH frame and fire blue finish. :) I have one.

Really? I have not been able to find any like that. I bet it sure is nice looking though.

Show me a "Snide" remark about Cody.

The O.P. asked for "Similar" guns.

Then folks start implying that it is an attack on Cody if they mention anyone elses guns...like this is supposed to be some kind of Cody Advertisement.

And yes, he is a true Gunsmith...like many others...as opposed to simply Gun Mechanics.

OY!

Phantom

Don't take it personally, Phantom. As far as gunsmith versus gun mechanic, Cody also taught me something that has been perceptive and true:

Almost anyone can build a short-stroked 73 when they start with a good gun. The real test is to build a short-stroked 73 when you start out with a bad rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun but when I look on the website I dont have my questions answered and thought maybe you guys could help.

What I would really like to have is a 73 with a 18, 19 or possibly a 20" round barrel but I also want it to have the CCH finish. When I look on the site it shows the ones with those barrels at those lengths with only an Octagon barrel. Do they make one with a round barrel and CCH frame?

Am I just missing it?

How about some pics of your cody-matic?

Is there an overall consensus on which is the overall best configuration of his rifles?

Rube,

I am coming in a little late in the game, but, Taylor's model 270CH is a case-hardened 19" full round barrel carbine. They are a little bit hard to get, but are available. Many like them because they are very lightweight up front.

To add to what Manatee has said, Cody has given a lot to CAS/SASS, and his work has advanced the state of the art of the CAS rifle a lot. He's a "big" character, kinda hard to miss as he draws a crowd at a shoot. He is colorful and not shy about sharing what he thinks. That tends to polarize folks thinking about a man.

I recently bought a well used '73 that a second owner had sent off to have "Cody-ized" before selling it to me. I discovered it had a headspace problem and called Cody. I know very little about '73s, as I'd previously always shot Marlins, and was kinda disappointed. He was very thorough helping me diagnose exactly what was wrong with it, offered to fix it if I wanted to send it to him, or to teach me how to fix it. He took the time to tell me how to fix it over the phone, what to look for, and how to know it was OK or not. I followed his directions and it's fixed and running fine.

Kinda hard to fault a guy when he backs up his work like that.

Funny how some folks think that if you like a different approach to modifying a 66/73 that you have something against the man...give me a break.

So if I turn these comments around...I guess everyone that prefers Cody's guns to say...Jim Bowie's guns...that y'all have some reason to fault JB's work? Or that he's...polarizing...????

Oy!

Phantom

Rube, this thread reminds me of people arguing about which apple makes the best pie, Cortland, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Pippin, or Winesap. Guess what? They're all good. Rifles worked on by Jim Bowie, Cody, Long Hunter, Jimmy Spurs, etc. will outperform 98% of us anyway. I have a Cody-matic, and I have a Long Hunter version, same for Wildcat. They're great. I've shot a Jimmy Spurs Marlin and it was great. I'll bet I'd love Jim Bowie's work as well. As Nike says, just do it.

Rube, this thread reminds me of people arguing about which apple makes the best pie, Cortland, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Pippin, or Winesap. Guess what? They're all good. Rifles worked on by Jim Bowie, Cody, Long Hunter, Jimmy Spurs, etc. will outperform 98% of us anyway. I have a Cody-matic, and I have a Long Hunter version, same for Wildcat. They're great. I've shot a Jimmy Spurs Marlin and it was great. I'll bet I'd love Jim Bowie's work as well. As Nike says, just do it.

Well I didnt know it was such a tender subject.

It's not, Rube. People are passionate about friends and those that they've had success with when getting action work done. There are many fine smiths in SASS.

It's not, Rube. People are passionate about friends and those that they've had success with when getting action work done. There are many fine smiths in SASS.

EGGSACKLY. I wouldn't turn away a gun done by C&I with their kit, Jimmy Spurs has the "cut-n-weld" method refined very nicely, etc. I even hear good things about a certain marine mammal, Har!

"Almost anyone can build a short-stroked 73 when they start with a good gun. The real test is to build a short-stroked 73 when you start out with a bad rifle."

Manatee

Let me know when you get a hold of a good Uberti 73. In 12 years I haven't seen one. Mediocre maybe.

Mediocre with the springs they start out with...yeah. But some of the guns have had little to no fitting coming out of the factory...just slapped together. Had a few where the barrels were not perpendicular to the frame. A few with major headspace problems. And triggers? I never thought I'd see negative angles on a sear in a $1000+ rifle...but I saw a bunch of those last year.

All in all though, if you want a $1000 rifle that functions out of the box every time...buy an M-4 from Rock River or Daniels Defense.

Mediocre with the springs they start out with...yeah. But some of the guns have had little to no fitting coming out of the factory...just slapped together. Had a few where the barrels were not perpendicular to the frame. A few with major headspace problems. And triggers? I never thought I'd see negative angles on a sear in a $1000+ rifle...but I saw a bunch of those last year.

All in all though, if you want a $1000 rifle that functions out of the box every time...buy an M-4 from Rock River or Daniels Defense.

What category can I use that in?

KK

Slim,

After having a particularly hard day, your comment sent me laughing!

I believe Manatee carries a big batch of Tic Tacs, so my reference is close. Either way, he adds a lot to the wire.

Roo

Archived