SASS Wire Forum

Can we talk Cody-Matic

Rube Burrows

I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun but when I look on the website I dont have my questions answered and thought maybe you guys could help.

What I would really like to have is a 73 with a 18, 19 or possibly a 20" round barrel but I also want it to have the CCH finish. When I look on the site it shows the ones with those barrels at those lengths with only an Octagon barrel. Do they make one with a round barrel and CCH frame?

Am I just missing it?

How about some pics of your cody-matic?

Is there an overall consensus on which is the overall best configuration of his rifles?

Afraid ye are out of luck, pard. So far as I know only carbines are round barrel and all Uberti carbines are blue receiver only. I think they may have made some CCH carbines in the past but no longer.

That is what I was thinking. They are trying to hurt my feelings. :lol: Pay all them green backs for a rifle and cant even have a good CCH finish on it.

Howdy Rube. The "best" configuration is a matter of personal preference. You're best bet is to call Cody and talk to him. I did that before buying mine and found his input very helpful. I bought the deluxe/pistol grip model with a 20" barrel and love it.

I guess I will have to do that. I was just trying not to clog up his time with questions that I could possibly get from other people first.

I guess I will have to do that. I was just trying not to clog up his time with questions that I could possibly get from other people first.

Once you call Cody you'll find your worries are completely unfounded. He's more than happy to talk to anybody if it ensure they get exactly what they want in a rifle. My wife and I both shoot Codymatics and love 'em.

I've shot an 1873 18" octagon barrel Border Deluxe (pistol grip) Cody gun for a few years now. A couple years or so ago, he did an 1866 16" round barrel Trapper for Sugah and after having an occassion to shoot it, I liked it. The thing that I don't particularly care for is that the Carbine and Trapper do not have the end cap on the forearm. Recently, I handled an 1873 18" half octagon, half round barrel gun and the additional weight off the front made it handle like a Ferrari. It has the end cap instead of a barrel band and it has CCH. I bought the rifle, but have yet to receive it.

I only find this rifle listed on the Cimarron site, but it might also be available from Cody who gets his guns from Taylors. For whatever reason, Taylors calls the 18" guns Trappers, but I've always thought of a Trapper as a 16" round barrel gun. As long as you understand which gun is which, I guess it doesn't matter what you call it.

As a beginning shooter a year and a half ago, my fellow shooters recommended a rifle already fixed and most shot Codymatics. I bought a pistol grip Trapper model with the octagon barrel from Cody and I love it. The octagon barrel looks more period correct to me, and Cody is nice to deal with. I know there are others that make a nice rifle as well, but my experience with Cody has been 100% positive....

Rube, YOU ARE NOT OUT OF LUCK!!! LOOK AT THE CIMARRON GUN SITE!! You may purchase the Texas Brush Popper which is a 73 with the pistol grip stock and 18 1/4 barrel that is half and Half. It is also offered with the straight stock. When I went to buy mine about 14 or so months ago Taylor's whom Cody's wife works for was out and had no idea when they would arrive. I purchased my gun from Buffalo Arms and had them send it to Cody. It is by far the nicest looking and shooting rifle I have ever owned. You are not out of luck. . The receivers are CCH and the octagon part of the barrel runs to about 1/2 inch past the forend cap. The round then continues out to the muzzle. I installed the flat rear and .130 front sight that is .450 high. In 44-40 this gives me the rear all the way down out to 50 yards so the rifle is capable of shots close to the 300 yard range.I also installed the leather butt pad that Long Hunter sells. One nice rifle fore sure!! Did I say it is purty!!

If you really want a CCH finish on a carbine, you could always send the rifle off to Doug Turnbull and have him do it. According to his website, he charges $300 for that service.

I would love CCH but would rather buy a gun that has already been CCH. I have used Turnbull for a project before and his work is beautiful. That 300.00 though is for a receiver that has already been polished completely and ready to go. For what I am going to be paying for the rifle I just cant justify the down time and extra cost of the rifle just for a finish.

Rube, You may purchase the Texas Brush Popper which is a 73 with the pistol grip stock and 18 1/4 barrel that is half and Half. It is also offered with the straight stock. When I went to buy mine about 14 or so months ago Taylor's whom Cody's wife works for was out and had no idea when they would arrive. I purchased my gun from Buffalo Arms and had them send it to Cody. It is by far the nicest looking and shooting rifle I have ever owned. You are not out of luck. Look at the Cimarron site. The receivers are CCH and the octagon part of the barrel runs to about 1/2 inch past the forend cap. The round then continues out to the muzzle. I installed the flat rear and .130 front sight that is .450 high. In 44-40 this gives me the rear all the way down out to 50 yards so the rifle is capable of shots close to the 300 yard range.I also installed the leather butt pad that Long Hunter sells. One nice rifle fore sure!! Did I say it is purty!!

Thanks, I'll check them out. Feel free to post pics of this beautiful rifle you speak of. :P

As others have said, call him and discuss what you want. I have a 357 border deluxe that I got last year from him, I just bought a 73 border deluxe from a local dealer and sent it off to him for his action job, just got it back and it is just as good as the 357. Both are 20", he told me when I called him about sending the 45LC off, he said that is good. He is behind on orders, they are not sending them as fast as he would like, when I talked to him about sending my off he said he was 25 behind, not sure now, but he told me I was lucky to get this from a dealer, I walked out the door from the dealer and with Cody's action job and shipping, I came out below what he would charge buying it from him, like he said I did good on this and I'm happy as well.

Call him, he will answer everything you want to ask, I'm sure other gunsmiths that sell 73's is in the same boat as him, just waiting for them to come in, they all come from the same place, just different importers is all.

All for now JD Trampas

I like the looks of the deluxe rifle with the 18 or 20 inch octagonal barrel. Mine is a 20 inch. If I had it to do over I might go for the 18.

Some people seem to think the straight stock is faster to shoot. Not a factor for me.

The half octagon-half round barrel looked a little funny to me at first but they handle very well.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the available rifles. Try to handle (if not shoot) examples of each if you can.

I like the looks of the deluxe rifle with the 18 or 20 inch octagonal barrel. Mine is a 20 inch. If I had it to do over I might go for the 18.

Some people seem to think the straight stock is faster to shoot. Not a factor for me.

The half octagon-half round barrel looked a little funny to me at first but they handle very well.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the available rifles. Try to handle (if not shoot) examples of each if you can.

I got to handle a 73 the other day and it had a 18" barrel and im pretty sure if I remember right it was all round and CCH finished receiver. Not 100% sure on the round barrel though. That is the whole reason I got interested in one. I have a 73 in .45 Colt that has a 24" barrel and action job and short stroke but I have yet to shoot it in a match. I was droping off my sons 92 to have the stock shortened and action job done when he showed me his 73 and I fell in love.

You asked:

I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun

JimBowie-a-Matic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also known as a...

C&I-a-Matic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:FlagAm:

+1

You asked:

I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun

JimBowie-a-Matic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also known as a...

C&I-a-Matic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am open to others. Guess I cant really go wrong with any of the top guys. Do they sell ready rifles?

Seems like folks prefer the term "a-Matics".

Let us not forget who created them in the first place.

All are decent guns and decent people however, Cody is the original.

Roo

Always remember too that if for some reason Cody can't get you the rifle that you want and you can find it elsewhere you can always send it to him for the action job and short stroke.

Colt,

Actually, is was Cody and Lone Dude. Cody expresses that on his web site.

I built his web site and created the term Cody-Matic. So I guess to keep up, others add "a-matic." No problem, flattery always works for me.

Cody is one of the best, as are several other folks mention above. But, when a poster wants to talk about his work, the usual ,and very predictable, others can't stand it for some reason.

Colt,

I built his web site and created the term Cody-Matic. So I guess to keep up, others add "a-matic." No problem, flattery always works for me.

Cody is one of the best, as are several other folks mention above. But, when a poster wants to talk about his work, the usual ,and very predictable, others can't stand it for some reason.

Well I dont get into all of the politics. I just want a good gun and was looking for info on good lever guns.

I have one by Cody and one by Jimmy Spurs, both are superb and I would not mind recommending either. I think that as you move away from these two makers you will be getting into the true short stroke kits and I might try this next time coupled with a short carrier for the 45special round.

I think that as you move away from these two makers you will be getting into the true short stroke kits

What exactly do you mean by this? Please explain.

What exactly do you mean by this? Please explain.

Tha gunzs by Cody or tha Yankee don't have as short of stroke as sone of tha SStroke Link kits have. As if it makes a crock on friday morning. But thats tha long an short of it.

RRR

Colt,

What a load of Bull!

Read the original post - here is what the original post contained: I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun

And I added the phrase "a-matic" after Jim Bowie 'cuz I was pokin fun at the silly term.

Now...of course it's typical of you to come on and point yer finger at others doing predictable things here on the Wire...afterall, you are "Roo"...and can do NO wrong.

To the original poster - there are significant differences in the two approaches to short-stroking a 66/73. Educate yourself and choose which one appeals to you the most.

And don't think that there is only one Cowboy Gunsmith that's a top notch person. Most are great people that'll bend over backwards for ya. Yes, Cody is one...as is Jim Bowie, Spur, Colt Mc, Long Hunter, etc,etc.

Good luck on your search...

Phantom

What a load of Bull!

Read the original post - here is what the original post contained: I have been thinking of getting a Cody-Matic or similar gun

And I added the phrase "a-matic" after Jim Bowie 'cuz I was pokin fun at the silly term.

Now...of course it's typical of you to come on and point yer finger at others doing predictable things here on the Wire...afterall, you are "Roo"...and can do NO wrong.

To the original poster - there are significant differences in the two approaches to short-stroking a 66/73. Educate yourself and choose which one appeals to you the most.

And don't think that there is only one Cowboy Gunsmith that's a top notch person. Most are great people that'll bend over backwards for ya. Yes, Cody is one...as is Jim Bowie, Spur, Colt Mc, Long Hunter, etc,etc.

Good luck on your search...

Phantom

I have been reading a lot the past few days on the different offerings from the top smiths.....that is what I was hoping to do with this thread was, educate myself on the differences. My intentions were not to start a poo flinging contest.

Archived