SASS Wire Forum

Leather darkening

Seldom Seen #16162

I was looking at a new leather carbine scabbard the other day made by Weaver Leather (I think. There was not a maker's mark on it). It has smooth side of the leather out with some type of fabric lining. The leather is undyed and has some type of finish on it as it is shiney.

My question is how can I darken it some? I would like to darken it to match my saddle. I have my doubts about dyeing it due to the finish on the scabbard and trying to control the darkening process. Would smearing some leather conditioner on it and baking it in the hot sun work?

Wiping some Extra Virgin Olive oil on it and putting it in the sun will darken it some, but it's difficult to make it match a saddle that has been used for a few years overnight. The saddle was lighter when it was new also.

Look at a leather supply house or do a search for Fiebings leather products. They have one product called Deglazer.It will remove any wax build up or natural dirt from your leather.It is used to prepare all leather for dyeing and refinishing. Use a dye or leather product to give you the color you are looking for. If you apply DYE then you have another product that goes over it so that it is protected. A natural leather will darken over time and use but if you are looking for a darker color like Mahogany then it must be dyed.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

You might try to rub some alcohol or acetone, perhaps Mneral Spirits, if the finish lifts, then you may decide to apply a creme polish on it. I like some of Fiebings creams / antique finishes. The small jar costs $10.00 and the shipping is another 10.00, I just ordered some cordovan for a small project yesterday. It is hard to find locally.

This type of finish allows you to apply a small amount so as to control the darkening, and continue to add to darken as you wish. Dyes can over penetrate all at once, then you get what you get.

Just removing the finish and smearing your cream on it in the sun may work. reapply a finish when you are through. They do help with moisture and dirt.

One Jackass to another,....

Fairshake gave you good advise. Fiebings is good stuff, but it is hard to match an existing color. If you like your current color, but just want it a little darker, you could try a coat of neatsfoot oil. It will make it a shade darker. You may want to talk to a local holster maker with your club if you choose to go the redyeing route. He could show you examples of different dyes to help you choose a color you like.

Check your leather for wax or finish coat by seeing if it will absorb some water.

If it beads up or otherwise doesn't "wet" the leather, than the deglazing product -might- remove the wax or finish coat.

Check for this on an area that isn't normally exposed like inside a mounting loop or on the backside.

If after using the deglazing chemical, check for water absorption again. If it absorbs water now, allow to thoroughly dry naturally and then work slowly with the leather dye following the instructions from the manufacturer.

Matching colors is difficult, but will be impossible unless any finish coat can be removed & the leather exhibits ability to absorb liquids.

I do not have any experience with Weavers manufactured products but if it is made from the prefinished leather that they sell, you are better off to just live with it. This stuff is totally saturated in a vat and pressure rolled out and I have used several strippers on it without any positive results. If you are talking the same plastic looking leather finish then I fear you will only ruin it in your quest.

I was looking at a new leather carbine scabbard the other day made by Weaver Leather (I think. There was not a maker's mark on it). It has smooth side of the leather out with some type of fabric lining. The leather is undyed and has some type of finish on it as it is shiney.

My question is how can I darken it some? I would like to darken it to match my saddle. I have my doubts about dyeing it due to the finish on the scabbard and trying to control the darkening process. Would smearing some leather conditioner on it and baking it in the hot sun work?

Try this in an inconspicuous spot to see if it works out to be the color you want:

Hydrophane Leather Darkening Oil

If you search for it on Google, you will find other sources for it on the web.

Thanks for the comments. I am inclined to belive it will not take a dye. The other option would be bake it in the sun. Since the sun fades dark leather it might darken plain leather over time.

Archived