SASS Wire Forum

Wild bunch gun question

Would a dovetailed front blade sight be OK in the W/B traditional category (with a fixed back sight)?

Yes, it's allowed. The Wild Bunch forum is probably a place to ask that will get a faster answer.

Here's the Rules forum:

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?board=2.0

You may need to register first at the home page:

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/index.php

Good luck, GJ

Would a dovetailed front blade sight be OK in the W/B traditional category (with a fixed back sight)?

Mike.

I think your OK. The book says "blade type front sight" for both traditional and modern. Adjustable rear sight would put you in the modern.

Are Laser Sights legal on my Traditional Wild Bunch pistol?

Now that I've got your attention, put down the rotten fruit, and answer me this: Is the Remington 1911 R1 legal for the Traditional Category in Wild Bunch? By my review of the pistol and the Wild Bunch Traditional rules it is. But I'd like the opinion of some knowledgeable pards who have actually handled one.

It's coming down to the Remy or the Springfield Mil-Spec.

Front sights on traditional and modern pistols may be dovetailed. I should know, I wrote the rule.

Since you are answering questions right now ;)

What about a fiber optic front on a gun used in modern pistol? Would have fiber have to be removed or can it just be covered over with black tape or something...

Thanks.

Driften, Fiber optic sights are specifically outlawed on WB pistols. We had a shooter actually ruin his by painting the entire thing black so he could shoot at Winter Range. I felt bad about it, but if you do that it is legal. You might be able to remove the optic rod and replace it with a piece of brass rod (for example) turned to fit.

Driften, Fiber optic sights are specifically outlawed on WB pistols. We had a shooter actually ruin his by painting the entire thing black so he could shoot at Winter Range. I felt bad about it, but if you do that it is legal. You might be able to remove the optic rod and replace it with a piece of brass rod (for example) turned to fit.

I can remove the rod easy enough, The sight picture would be fine with the hole in it but does the hole need to be plugged for the match? Would a brass rod be legal? Are brass beads on the front sight legal in WB? The brass rod idea if done the same as a 1911 sight with a brass bead would be good for non-wb shooting and I would not need to change back and forth with the fiber. Each time I change the fiber out it would destroy it. Replacement fiber is cheep but still.

Modern pistols can have colored dots or inserts. I see white, gold, red, green, etc. Personally, I like a black rear sight and a gold bead front. The rod would qualify as legal. Leaving the empty hole isn't something we have addressed as there is no front sight with a hole. I think an argument could be made that a hole is illegal. I just don't know, the WB Committee would have to decide that one, but we would rather not have to address it. Fill the hole with something and avoid the question.

Modern pistols can have colored dots or inserts. I see white, gold, red, green, etc. Personally, I like a black rear sight and a gold bead front. The rod would qualify as legal. Leaving the empty hole isn't something we have addressed as there is no front sight with a hole. I think an argument could be made that a hole is illegal. I just don't know, the WB Committee would have to decide that one, but we would rather not have to address it. Fill the hole with something and avoid the question.

I agree my rear sight is all black and I really wanted a gold bead front sight but the non-standard dovetail on the RIA Tactical made that cost more. Dawson makes a replacement for that dovetail that is Fiber optic so for my aging eyes I went that way. As far as I know the sight with the fiber out has no competitive advantage and all you really see is the black post. To not make a fuss though it seems like filling the hole with something would be the way to go and if I can find some brass rod or even a replacement brass bead for the sights that use them might work great. So problem solved that way.

Thanks! I hope this helps others also.

Archived