SASS Wire Forum

Exempt from NICS Check? Horrah

Deacon Will

Kansas Concealed Carry Permit Holders Exempt from NICS Check :FlagAm:

(GunReports.com) -- On April 8, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) issued a letter to all Kansas Federal Firearm Licensed (FFL) dealers informing them that a valid Kansas concealed carry permit may be used as an alternative to an inquiry of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for the purchase or transfer of a firearm.

All individuals who apply for or renew a concealed carry permit must undergo a NICS inquiry. Exempting valid concealed carry permit holders will alleviate the redundancy of having to go through NICS for every firearm purchase or transfer from a gun dealer.

This saves dealers and their customers time and decreases the administrative costs of NICS itself.

This victory is the direct result of last session’s NRA-backed Senate Bill 306 being enacted. This monumental reform made a number of significant changes to Kansas’ right-to-carry laws, to not only streamline the concealed carry process, but to meet the federal requirements under U.S.C. § 922(t)(3) and 27 C.F.R. § 478.102(d), which now allow concealed carry permit holders to be exempt from a redundant NICS background check. After the enactment of this legislation, the state legislature sent a letter to BATFE informing them of these changes and requesting a formal review which brought about this recent decision. B)

Hopefully the same will be true for Tennessee. We are required to submit to NICS for our permit quals as well.

That's the way it used to be in Indiana, anyone with a valid License to Carry Handgun permit was waived through, but everyone else had a 7 day waiting period. Now everyone (including LEO's) must jump the NCIC hurdle, but I don't mind the extra 5 minutes for the phone call.

BSD

That's the way it used to be in Indiana, anyone with a valid License to Carry Handgun permit was waived through, but everyone else had a 7 day waiting period. Now everyone (including LEO's) must jump the NCIC hurdle, but I don't mind the extra 5 minutes for the phone call.

BSD

Last gun I bought, the NICS wait was dang near an hour and a half. :angry:

They're watchin you, Bob. :lol:

They're watchin you, Bob. :lol:

Guess I shouldn't have been wearing that, "Thoroughly Dangerous Man" t-shirt. :lol:

Congrats. In NY CCW holders USED TO be NICS exempt, until the FBI/ATF decided NY's computer system needed to be replaced in order to meet their standards, NY refused to FUND the update, and the feds took our ability to process our own NICS and the exemption for permit-holders away..... Keep an eye on your statehouse politics, and keep pressure on for complete compliance with FEDERAL standards....

They have been sitting on approving Nebraska's new law for almost two years, we have it with a special three year license, so Nebraska said you are more vetted with CCW so no need to buy both. BATF is the most incompentent agency in the federal government...

In Texas, a valid concealed handgun license is all ya need. No NICS check needed.

FWIW...YMMV...SOso

If you have a CCW that is the way it should be in every State

Guess I shouldn't have been wearing that, "Thoroughly Dangerous Man" t-shirt. :lol:

Say.... You don't by chance happen to have green teeth and used to live in Jackson Mississippi?

If your town would ever move up from that dang old telegraph, things might go a little faster! :lol:

BSD

If you have a CCW that is the way it should be in every State

If an individual has been up to no good he can bypass the system for years. In Florida I think the CCW is good for 8 years. An individual could go on a buying spree for years and at the same time be a wanted felon or even a convicted felon that has been released and still has a license.

In the past year working at a gun shop I have seen many people I am NOT comfortable with owning let along carring a firearm.

Not everyone that is able to own a firearm should own one.

Wyatt

Utah doesn't require an nics check if you have a current concealed carry card either, not do you have to pay the fee, but they do have to call SLC and check the status of your card. A local dealer is being hounded into the ground by the batf because he would gather a few concealed carry cards, then call on them all at once. They haven't shown that a single one would not have been approved but that doesn't make any difference to them. I worry about selling guns in my own name, private sale, because my name is listed on my nephews FFL and I don't know if I have to jump through the hoops. I've called the atf for a ruling but they NEVER answer their phone. They were nice enough about the application, after loosing two, but I still worry.

If an individual has been up to no good he can bypass the system for years. In Florida I think the CCW is good for 8 years. An individual could go on a buying spree for years and at the same time be a wanted felon or even a convicted felon that has been released and still has a license.

In the past year working at a gun shop I have seen many people I am NOT comfortable with owning let along carring a firearm.

Not everyone that is able to own a firearm should own one.

Wyatt

Wyatt, In Texas, your CCW is tied to your Drivers License. Any crime that is committed above the lowest Class Misdemeanor, gets the CCW pulled then and there, and any known crime of that stature gets the license pulled then and there at arrest, and isn't returned until the case has been adjudicated, if found not guilty.

No person will be running around for years with a CCW if they are not supposed to have one.

RBK

It's that way in Montana.......but we dont' have a waiting period anyway.......so all it saves is a phone call...

If your town would ever move up from that dang old telegraph, things might go a little faster! :lol:

BSD

Har. My town don't even have a gun shop. I have to go to the next county.

Archived