SASS Wire Forum

How to use up some size #57 shotgun primers

Hellgate #3302 L

Now that shotgun hulls with the smaller primer pockets are no longer made and I don't have any of the old hulls how can I still use a few of these smaller shotgun primers up? These will be used in 12ga BP "crap loads" with about 55grs powder and 7/8 os shot so we're not talking 3 1/2" mag smokeless goose loads here. Can I just use a thin strip of thick paper/thin cardboard as a shim to hold the primer in? I'm not worried about a little leakage as I'm using SXSs that are easy to clean. Thin bit of plastic? Dent the edge of the primer pocket (in a junk case)? I'm looking for ideas here so I don't have to just toss the primers.

I have been described (to put it kindly) as being "cheap". I prefer being called "thrifty" but you get the idea.

I've done the opposite, and used the larger primers in old shells made for the No. 57 primers by making a

tapered pin to enlarge the primer holes in the case....

Not sure how you'd do it the other way....Mebbe put the deprimed shells on a mandrel of some kind and

rap them on the head to swedge the primer holes a wee bit tighter....Might work, might not, depending

on the shells involved. Mebbe the base wads would permit this, mebbe not.

Let us know if you figger it out.

I don't think I'd try to use them in hulls designed for the 209 primers. There would be too much chance of a gas leak from not sealing properly. The last primers I bought were about $45/1000, since you have 3 hundred 57's, you're going to a lot of trouble for less than $15 worth of primers.

As an alternative, you could make some practice 45 Colt rounds for wax bullets by drilling out the primer pockets to fit the #57 primers. When you are out of the #57's, drill them out again for 209's.

Since you are not adding powder, you don't need a press fit for the shotgun primers. Just a snug hand pressed fit is enough. That way you don't have to drill out a bunch of the cases to get a practice session. For the "bullets", press the cases into soft parafin wax. You can expect to have to clean up a wax buildup in your pistols after a while.

Good suggestions all. I actually have a stash of 45cal wax bullets but no longer have a way to shoot them as I sold my R&D conversion 45LC cylinder. Hedly, the soda straw idea is just what I was hoping from an old shotgunner like you to come up with. Now I'll be on a mission to find the right straw size. "Now, will that be paper or plastic, sir?"

I can't believe you would risk injury over 300 obsolete primers. Even with BP if you don't get a good seal you can get some nasty burns on your face. Don't ask me how I know.;) Walk over to the trash can, step on the little lever, and throw them away. Trying to use them is definitely not thrifty, it's cheap.

I will certainly only load a couple and test them before using the whole lot. I'd love to trade or ship them to someone who could use them but there are legal probs with haz mat issues.

Larson,

I might tape some paper or cardboard over the action to see if anything comes out of the breech when fired from an old tire as described in the back of the Dixie catalog for testing old antique muzzleloaders.

Hate to say it but risking an injury, to say nothing of life and limb, over 300 obsolete primers is ludicrous.

RBK

Archived