SASS Wire Forum

I hate to tell you this, but

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

With regards to Wild Bunch shooting being more "inclusive" or "open," you have to keep in mind that there are basically 2 types of Wild Bunch Shooting.

Type 1 is SASS Offical Rules WB. 1911, Win 97, Main Match Rifle of at least .40 Caliber.

Type 2 is Local Club Rule WB. The most "open" form of Local Club rules allow you to use ANY pistol (revolver or automatic) rifle (including those in rifle calibers) and shotgun (pump, lever, semi-auto, SxS) as long as it existed prior to 1918 and is in safe to shoot condition. (Some places even stretch the cutoff date to 1921) Some clubs also allow you to use 2 pistols, and even 2 rifles if yours will not hold 10 rounds.

Local Club Rules do vary a lot, from the wide open anything goes to various restrictions on some of the guns that can be used.

Some of the variations I have seen...

Allowing ANYTHING prior to 1918 with no restrictions whatsoever.

Requireing rifles to be in "rifle calibers"

Allowing for 2 revolvers or 1 autoloading pistol, but not 2 autos or one of each.

Rifles may be any SASS legal main match rifle

97's only allowed to load 2 in the magazine, just like a SASS match (a real rarity)

Use of 2 pistols. (A very common varient) 2 autos, 2 revolvers, or 1 of each.

The variations are almost endless, which is what makes shooting WB at the local level so much fun. Best way to be sure of the match it contact the club and ask them what their rules are.

To be honest, if I was going to a big shoot that had WB as a side match using the SASS rules, I'd do it, but if it was a full blown WB match using the SASS rules, I would not bother. I'd either do a regular SASS match or find a more open WB one. But that's just me. The great thing about Wild Bunch shooting, no matter which type you try, is that is a lot of FUN. And fun is the best thing that you can have while shooting.

Three Cheers for Wild Bunch!

Howdy Folks,

I just got the scores. I consider myself last as the only person after me shot the main match as a buckaroo. There were 43 scored shooters. I only came in 43rd on two stages and one was the SG DQ. My best stage was a 36. Without the DQ, I probably would have came in 40th or 41st. That's not great but it is better than I did at my first SASS match.

I am encouraged.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well Allie I have 34 stages under my belt now between CAS & WB so I guess I can no longer say "I ain't never done this before" I think I did get rid of most of my nerves ...I think I started to calm down around stage 15 or 16 of the weekend I also have along list of things that I did wrong last weekend...But nothing I can't fix...and nothing I did not learn from....mostly little things like ...when reloading 45acp it is best to check every round for size ...I had 3 rounds that gave me fits and cost me dearly...two did not let the gun go to full battery and I had to fiddle with and 1 that locked it up tight that cost me 19 misses...I also got a bunch of good advice like...Don't stop in the middle of a stage to admire your misses...it only cost you time....there is plenty of time to do that after you shoot...I also have to watch who I talk to just before it is my turn to shoot....one stage Jasper & Mosebee had me laughing so hard when it came time for me to shoot..it was Mosebee turn on the timer...he was laughing ...I was laughing....I think he had to start the timer 2 or 3 times ...But come to think about it...I think that was one of the very few stages I shot clean :)

Hi Allie. I'm glad u had fun

Me, I'm not sure I feel a historical connection with the guns, enough to buy a 1911 and a 97. I just spent another $1200 buying two NRV .38s That's where im coming from. Money

Aunt Jen iPhone

Hey BJT,

I understand. Hubby is not in love with a few aspects of the sport... Then, you two always seemed to see things similarly. I will keep my mouth shut here about changes I think could make WB more inclusive...

Anyway, my first "competitive" shooting was SASS and we'd stoked the SG at Chabot. So, the only thing I needed to learn for WB was how to shoot an automatic (and that SG hammer thingy). This was a good transition for me and may be for some of the other less experienced shooters. Also, I found the power factor requirements to be "no big deal" and I'm a major wimp.

To each his/her own. For now, I am glad to be able to comply with the current WB requirements. I feel like, if I can, anyone can.

Regards,

AM :ph34r:

Hi Allie. I'm glad u had fun

Me, I'm not sure I feel a historical connection with the guns, enough to buy a 1911 and a 97. I just spent another $1200 buying two NRV .38s That's where im coming from. Money

Aunt Jen iPhone

Hey Jen,

I've mostly shot a '97 since starting and we had the other guns already so it was an easy sport to accumulate stuff for. My holster set up is a bit mixed up though. It worked fine for a second match. After all, I might not have liked it. :unsure::rolleyes:;)

It gets more fun with every match as you become more comfortable with the guns.

:wub:

Allie

Hey Woodie,

I know what you mean about the misses. I tend to wait for the KDs. After the DQ, I knew I would be last lady so I decided to "let er rip" and had my fastest clean stages. Those were my 17th and 18th WB stages.

I've known Jasper and Mosebee for years and have shot with them many times. They are fun! I'm so glad you are having fun! I will probably shoot two times a month from now on, if "ammo boy" cooperates.

So, what did you think of your first annual match? After mine, I knew we needed an RV to stay on range to participate fully.

Regards,

Allie

Ladies,

I know there are more of you lurking than posting. I thought I'd get this up again for you to think about.

WB is a fresh and new way to have fun. :D

I found that the 1911 had no more recoil than my revolvers. One neat thing is that I can shoot another time every month without the arthritis in my thumb (use it to cock a revolver) bothering me. :)

If you decide to try it, be sure to give it lots of time. I shot 1000 rounds before my first match. I am so glad I did as my first few attempts were pretty pitiful. :rolleyes:

About the '97, I think everyone needs one. As someone said on another thread, crooks know that sound. I have a '97 SG and shells in my bedroom.

We've always used the .45 rifle for team shoots where they do things like cutting down a board or KDs with the rifle.

If you'd like to read more, check out the WBAS forum, here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Ladies,

I know there are more of you lurking than posting. I thought I'd get this up again for you to think about.

WB is a fresh and new way to have fun. :D

I found that the 1911 had no more recoil than my revolvers. One neat thing is that I can shoot another time every month without the arthritis in my thumb (use it to cock a revolver) bothering me. :)

If you decide to try it, be sure to give it lots of time. I shot 1000 rounds before my first match. I am so glad I did as my first few attempts were pretty pitiful. :rolleyes:

About the '97, I think everyone needs one. As someone said on another thread, crooks know that sound. I have a '97 SG and shells in my bedroom.

We've always used the .45 rifle for team shoots where they do things like cutting down a board or KDs with the rifle.

If you'd like to read more, check out the WBAS forum, here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie Mo, will you be shooting the WB side match at Rouge River?

Archived