SASS Wire Forum

quality control

evil dogooder

Ok I know we all have our own preference on what we like but are there any brands a newbie should stay away from as is quality issues

Thanks

Evil

You can always find anecdotal stories about quality, but in general all the manufacturers listed below sell excellent product.

I own Rugers (Vaqueros), USFA's (Rodeo II), and EMF's (Alchimista) CAS revolvers. All are very good quality. As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Most folks would say don't just go out and buy. The best recommendation is to go to several different matches and talk to people about what they like and shoot. With luck you will get to handle guns of different styles and from different manufacturers. You may find you love the feel of a Colt. You may find you prefer the Vaquero and like a Bisley grip.

The questions do not end with purchase. Many shooters purchase guns stock then have a qualified CAS gunsmith slick the gun, so be sure to ask what work has been done. You can always purchase direct from one of the CAS gunsmiths as they all warrant their "race ready" guns. Check into Long Hunter, Evil Roy, Jimmy Spurs, Cody Connagher, Nate Kiowa Jones, Johnny Meadows etc. I got some of my recent guns from Jack Diamond Gunsmithing (gunsmith at Founders Ranch - SASS world headquarters. You can search this forum and find the names of dozens of high quality gunsmiths.

Though it's not necessarily a 'quality' issue and although it can be a fine gun in the field or camp - stay away from the Winchester '94 in pistol calibers. Just too 'clunky' for CAS use - IMHO of course ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks this is a big help I've always loved rugers .... i have two vaqueros a new blackhawk and a single six in 32 mag...but I'm trying to outfit my whole family so I was looking at the lesser expensive models. One model I was considering has been pointed out to be very hit or miss on quality. I was also thinking of heritage rough riders. I heard they were made by the maker of uberti.... are they any good? Eventually I will need four sets plus backups ... needless to say I'm getting another part time job to help pay lol

Anyway thanks for the knowledge any more will be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully

Evil

Thanks this is a big help I've always loved rugers .... i have two vaqueros a new blackhawk and a single six in 32 mag...but I'm trying to outfit my whole family so I was looking at the lesser expensive models. One model I was considering has been pointed out to be very hit or miss on quality. I was also thinking of heritage rough riders. I heard they were made by the maker of uberti.... are they any good? Eventually I will need four sets plus backups ... needless to say I'm getting another part time job to help pay lol

Anyway thanks for the knowledge any more will be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully

Evil

I understand that the EMF company sell's good stuff at a fair price and has great customer service. Maybe give them a call to help set your 'posse' up :D

. I was also thinking of heritage rough riders. I heard they were made by the maker of uberti.... are they any good?

Respectfully

Evil

Pietta makes the Rough Rider. I have one that I use for my daily carry gun. It's good enough that I can bounce an empty shotshell at ten yards. The one thing you might not know is that the Rough Rider has a transfer bar safety like a Ruger.

Anything not made in the good old USA! Buy American and support the American economy.

The last Italian made pistol I bought was an EMF 44/40, it’s hanging on the wall. It is there because it won’t chamber factory rounds from either of the two major manufactures I tried. After a long vacation at EMF it still won’t chamber any factory rounds. So much for customer service and quality control. I also have sent guns back to Beretta and Browning for repair, both came back just as broken as when I sent them.

I own over 20 Ruger firearms and the only one I ever had to send back was a 44 mag. And that was over 30 years ago, Turn around time was less than 2 weeks

Anything not made in the good old USA! Buy American and support the American economy.

The last Italian made pistol I bought was an EMF 44/40, it’s hanging on the wall. It is there because it won’t chamber factory rounds from either of the two major manufactures I tried. After a long vacation at EMF it still won’t chamber any factory rounds. So much for customer service and quality control. I also have sent guns back to Beretta and Browning for repair, both came back just as broken as when I sent them.

I own over 20 Ruger firearms and the only one I ever had to send back was a 44 mag. And that was over 30 years ago, Turn around time was less than 2 weeks

Wow - have heard contrary on EMF, too bad you had that experience.

Wow - have heard contrary on EMF, too bad you had that experience.

That was a long time ago Im sure hope things have changed and it does make a nice wall hanger I shouldnt have said anything about it since it was so long ago.

My problem was EMFs response was that the gun was in spec and the problem must be with the Ammo. I think Winchester and it was still Winchester then had the specs for 44/40 ammo down pretty well

Archived