SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke kits

Pit Bull Tex

Can someone please tell me the differance between the Short Stroke Kits for the 73s.3rd gen. pioneer and th 4th of 5th of pioneer and the other kits.How much differance in movement.1/2"-1/4" or what. thanks.

Once you have the stroke shortened it really isn't about distance but about smooth. I started with pioneer in two rifles and have found that the Cowboys and Indain new links are a little smoother. Those are the only two I have experience with.

First, the "Generations" stuff was first applied to Cowboys and Indian Store kits, as the progressed from a little bit short (1st Gen), to little bit short with positive slam down (2d Gen), to really short (3rd Gen), to Super Short with a replacement finger lever (4th Gen), to Super short without the finger lever replacement (5th Gen).

Then folks tried to apply these terms to the other makers of short stroke kits, but that doesn't work because the other makers didn't go through so many variations.

There are three makers of SS Kits: Cowboys and Indian Store (Jim Lincoln); The Ottaway Smith (Ron Snover) and Pioneer Gunworks (Joe Alves). Probably the smoothest "Super Short" was the Cowboys and Indian 4th Gen that included a replacement finger lever. When comparing what has become "standard" lever throw, smooth differences are a result of how good the rifle tuner is at his/her job. However, at standard throw, the Rolls Royce of kits is made by The Ottaway Smith.

I've never bothered to measure the actual length of throw beyond making sure it was SASS legal a few years ago. The critical area is not at the "far" end of the lever anyway. It's where your third finger goes up next to the trigger. My customers determine what kit I install, although I do caution that Large Bore guns seem to work better with the equivalent of 3rd Gen lever throw. .38s run just fine at the shortest throw.

The end results are determined by ........ (gasp!!!!) .......... practice.

Coffinmaker

Have to agree with Coffinmaker. I have worked on several rifles that have been short stroked by other gunsmiths. Ron Snover's links are the best. Again if the tuner does a good job the shooter will be happy.

Daybreaker

Archived