SASS Wire Forum

grips for ruger blackhawks

Coalman

I have a pair of rugar blackhawks and was looking for 2 pairs of matching wood Laminated grips can anybody point me in the right direction Thanks

If they are New Model Blackhawks, anything that fits the Ruger Old Model Vaquero or Single Six will fit your Blackhawks. Eagle and Buffalo Brothers make neat grips, but there are dozens of different makers who make grips for these guns.

I've used these on my Old Model Vaqueros for years. They aren't advertized as such, but mine are marked "Eagle" as the maker inside - they are very nice grips for the price I believe(they have checkered or plain):

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_237_525&products_id=6081

Every time you say the phrase "Old Model Vaquero", God kills a kitten.

Sigh.

"Old Model" in Rugerspeak refers to a pre-1973 no-safety action. All Vaqueros are post-1973 and have New Model actions with a transfer bar safety.

We cannot pollute the term "old model" without eliminating a key description of the gun's safety.

"Vaquero" is correct. "Old Vaquero" or "large-frame Vaquero" works if need be. "New Vaquero" described the 2004-forward "mid-frame" size...and it's not "New Model Vaquero" because all Vaqueros have New Model transfer-bar-safety actions.

--------

A second issue is, the original poster said "Blackhawk" grips. Mostly that means XR3-RED types, but a few use others. For example:

* The older, smaller, Colt-size XR3 was found prior to about 1964. I say "about" because the new larger XR3-RED was phased in over a couple of years. Specimens made as late as 1965 by some accounts show up with XR3s.

* The 50th Anniversary 357 and 44Mag (NOT marked "Super"!) Blackhawk Flattops and the new 44Spls use XR3s, but they're slightly different - the retaining pin hole is off and they're set up for the keylock system. This "new XR3" is the same as the New Vaquero's grip. You mostly order "New Vaquero" grips for these.

Archived