SASS Wire Forum

What Are Your NON SASS Calibers?

Smithy

I've been looking for a double action "house gun" for some time now. I had a Ruger Alaskan in 454 but admittingly only shoot stiff 45 LC loads out of it when I had it. That had worked out great since my sole cowboy load for both rifle and pistol was 45 LC. So I had only two loads in the house, 45 LC and 12 ga. but for some silly reason I let the Alaskan get out from under me and don't have it anymore. I did end up with a Sig P232 in 380 but ended up having to sell it too as I could not manipulate the slide. I have had three hand surgeries for carpal tunnel and trigger release and just no longer have the necessary grip strength to do the job. So again I was on a quest for the Alaskan in 454.... ....none to be had at all! Anywhere. I opened the search to Redhawks in 45 LC. Again, none to be had. It seems that all large caliber snub nose Rugers are getting hard to come by so I finally went against my master plan and bought the Ruger Alaskan in 44 Magnum that my dealer had on his shelf. He had had it for awhile so he was happy for the sale (gave me a deal on the price as well), I got an Alaskan, however I deviated in caliber and have a new one to buy or load for. So what do you folks do for your carry gun/house gun? Is the caliber cowboy or Wild Bunch compatible? Just curious. Smithy.

My carry piece is a Colt Combat Commander in 45ACP, a proven combo. It, my old duty gun (S&W mdl 65) in .38+P and a couple of my Winch. 94s in .30-30 are the only loaded guns at my house. (Although, there are about 20 loaded clips standing by for my Garand)!!! Just in case!

The misses and my house guns are a 357 S&W model 66 w/ 4" barrel and a 45ACP Kimber Ultra CDP II. If we lived in a county where the sheriff would issue CCW permits the wife would pack the Kimber. She wanted an auto so before purchasing one we went to an indoor range that rents and sells guns. We rented two compact 9mm's (Sig & Glock) and an ultra compact Kimber without the CDP treatment. Unfortunately for our bank account she loved the little Kimber.

30-06, 30-30, 7.62X39, 5.56 NATO /.223 Remington (Mini-14 fires both), 9mm, 45 ACP, 22LR, 44 Magnum, 7.62X57 (need to get that K98 someday) and when the Ruger GS rifle arrives .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My house/carry gun is a Glock 23 in 40 S&W. I have my old service revolver, and S&W M19 4", a S&W 1917 45 AR and a couple dozen other handguns from 22RF to 45. Hunting rifles in 30-30, 30-06, 308, 45-70, and shotguns I've picked up over the years. I load for everything except shotgun.

None of my 'house guns' or carry guns are in my CAS calibers. I use .45 Colt in my pistols and rifle and 10 gauge in an obsolete hull length for CAS. For more 'serious' pursuits, I use 12 gauge, .32ACP (carry), 9mm (house), .357 Magnum (house) .45ACP (carry) or .44 Special (carry).

That being said, if all I had was my CAS guns, I would NOT feel under armed.

Carry 38 snubbie kahr 9mm 22 short Beretta. Plus a few things to stick ya with. Occasionally 45acp

Home 20g buckshot 9mm 45lc 22lr

Others not always loaded. 7.62 x54r 30-06 410 12g. BB gun 32 h&r mag. Yep that's about it

Evil

Carry - 9mm or .380

Home - 45LC/.410 and/or 12 gauge

Others - 338-06, 30-06, .270, 25-06, 22-250, .223, .45

CAS - 45LC / 12 gauge

I forgot the 22's - Mk1, revolvers, lever, and 10-22 for fun.

I load for all except the .380, .223, 22's and the shotguns.

Other than the 357s I use for SASS, i have 45/70, 45LC, 40 S&W, 22RF, 7.62x 339, 7,62X54R,8mm Mauser, 7.62 Nagant, .410. 12 ga. :blush: Is that enough? Oops, I forgot .36 Remie Navy, .58 Hawkins & matching ML pistol!!

Like most others here I have a variety of guns in my safe, on my night stand, under my bed and a few other places around the house. My go-to guns are my Glock 19 9mm with SD loads and a Mossberg 590A1 12g shotgun with 00 buckshot. The Glock wears a laser/light combination while my Mossberg wears a 200 lumen light.

Calibers: .22 rimfire, .22 magnum, .223, .243, .308, .30-06, .32 S&W, .380, ,38 Special, .357 magnum, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .45 Super, .45 Cowboy Special, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .38-55, .45-70, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410 (I think that's it).

Home defense and/or carry weapons can be Colt 1911, Kimber 1911, S&W J-Frame, Colt Pocketnine, Colt Mustang,12 gauge pump, Sig 229. Depends on where in the house, what I'm wearing, etc.

In the house for two legged critters......Kahr CW40's, (2 of them) 100% of the time 32acp Kel-Tec's in both vehicles and a 380 Kel-tec with me at all times. cowboy guns and cowboy calibers just too hard to conceal and cary when there are better choices. But.....Come unanounced at night and you might get met with a SAA 45LC loaded with 225 Silver tips. For for leg critters it may be a Model 66 Henery in 38 (Yep a cowboy gun) or a 10-22. Usually the most common 4 Legged critter is an Armadillo....

...depends on the room...

S&W 1911PD with laser grips in .45 ACP.

Glock 21 with tactical light in .45 ACP.

Ruger SP 101 in .32 H&R Magnum.

'97 Winchester 12 gauge pump.

...the Carry Guns are...

Kimber Pro CDP II in .45 ACP.

Colt Government Pocketlite in .380 ACP.

Ruger SP 101 in .32 H&R Magnum-Ms. Mary Matilda's Carry.

Ruger SP 101 in .357 Magnum.

Um...you mean do I have a different carry chambering? Yes...45 ACP..is there anything else to use for self defense? (in a hand gun fellas, I am all about the No4 buck in a pump 12)

Um...you mean do I have a different carry chambering? Yes...45 ACP..is there anything else to use for self defense? (in a hand gun fellas, I am all about the No4 buck in a pump 12)

Yup

Guest diablo slim shootist

Carry 40 xd springfield-backed up by a 357 snubie-backed up

be a 38 derringer.use to have a 45 colt snubie- wish I didn't let

that one get away ;)

Glock 30 in .45acp with 13 round mag,

Glock 17 in 9mm with 17 round mag,

AK47 in 7.62x39 with 30 round mag are my 3 favorites,

because anybody worth shooting is worth shooting at least a dozen times. :lol: Maybe two dozen times.

Mossberg M500 12g pump in case I'm attacked Hitchcock style by a bunch of The Birds.

Lots of other bottom feeders in .22, .32, .380, 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .308, 12g and one .38spl snubbie.

I've been looking for a double action "house gun" for some time now. I had a Ruger Alaskan in 454 but admittingly only shoot stiff 45 LC loads out of it when I had it. That had worked out great since my

<SNIP>

gun/house gun? Is the caliber cowboy or Wild Bunch compatible? Just curious. Smithy.

Browning 9mm Hi-Power for the house - Kahr 9mm K9 for carry. That's summer time . . . winter time it's

becoming the Hi-Power all the time.

If the slide action gun it too hard, use the sights and a table edge or other firm surface to catch the

rear sight, then push the gun forward to charge the critter. Do a search on one handed reload techniques.

A belt, a pant edge, a table top, hell - even a shoe sole can provide a stiff enough surface to allow you

to rack and charge a slide gun in an emergency, screw the finish - this is a gun fight!

If that fails - go with a Cowboy six gun loaded stout - and aim!

Improvise - overcome. Do not allow limitations to enter into your thinking . . . . ..

Shadow Catcher

First off...let's look at the CAS guns, which actually forced me to reduce my arsenal, but there is some cross-over duty for these guns.

The Marlin 357 is one heck of an urban home defense and SHTF gun. She can spit out 10 rounds of a hot 357 load. The 125 grain 357 has some of the best terminal ballistics.

Couple the Marlin with my Ruger SP101 - well, now my wife's SP101 :angry: This is one of the early versions, which can not load a round larger than the 125 grain.

Since the wife snagged my Ruger, I keep a 45 under my "pillow".

Leaning on the window sill is a 20 Gauge Remington. 75% of the performance of the 12 gauge, with 50% of the recoil. Less recoil and muzzle flash at 3AM is a good thing IMO.

Makarov 9x18. These are all steel, very accurate, used to be very inexpensive, and easily outperform the 380. I just love these things.

Takarov pistol - 7.62. Another good SHTF gun. A rifle-type round that can rip through a car door.

Then there are the black guns, trap, target guns, like the 17 Mach II (not the HMR), 22s, etc.

Archived