SASS Wire Forum

caliber differences

Long Range Dave

I am new to this SASS site.

I have gone to two matches and can't get enough. Thanks Chaz you got me stuck on it. :)

Anyway, I am itching to get my own equipment but have only shot a single caliber .357. I really liked being able to use the same bullets in the rifle and the revolvers. I have seen a set of revolvers for sale that I almost bought but they were 44/40 caliber. Is there going to be a significant difference from the .357? I know it will be different but just how significant? extreamly noticable or do you feel a shooter would "get used" to whichever caliber they have. I am hesitant to buy my own equipment because I want it to be the right gear and not just the first gear I got. Thanks for the comments and I hope to meet some of you at the range.

LRD

I have gone to two matches and can't get enough. Thanks Chaz you got me stuck on it. :)

Anyway, I am itching to get my own equipment but have only shot a single caliber .357. I really liked being able to use the same bullets in the rifle and the revolvers. I have seen a set of revolvers for sale that I almost bought but they were 44/40 caliber. Is there going to be a significant difference from the .357? I know it will be different but just how significant? extreamly noticable or do you feel a shooter would "get used" to whichever caliber they have. I am hesitant to buy my own equipment because I want it to be the right gear and not just the first gear I got. Thanks for the comments and I hope to meet some of you at the range.

LRD

I shoot 44-40, that's what I'm shooting in my profile picture to the left. B) I also have a set of 357s, 45s and 44 Specials. This sport is addictive. :lol:

If you ever contemplate shooting BP then the 44-40 would be a very good choice. It is without a doubt the best caliber for that powder. As far as recoil, 44 WCF can be loaded down to comparable to a mid range 38 load. It is a little finickier to reload, but not that hard to do.

Here's an opinion from a newbie.

It all depends :)

Smaller caliber, cheaper to shoot and less recoil.

Larger caliber, more expensive to shoot and more recoil

It depends on what you want to get out of the sport. For me I know I'll never be fast so I'm in it for the fun. I picked 45 colt because that's what I remember from watchin' westerns as a kid and and that big brass case can hold a lot of black powder so lots of smoke and bang. Luckily cost isn't an issue for me and I'm reloading also.

If I were to do it all over I'd probably go with 44/40 because that was more prevalent back in the day then 45 Colt and because it is a necked cartridge it reportedly has less blowback so the rifle stays a bit cleaner when shooting black powder. But even so I'm very happy shooting that big boolit.

Just my 2 cents

Willy

Boy are you gonna get a lot of answers!!!

The biggest factor is to shoot what you like....

Despite the caliber differences most can be loaded lighter so the recoil/power issue can be addressed IF you decide to load yerself.

If yer not gonna do that right away, either find someone that does and can supply the ammo ya need in the caliber ya shoot,

or go with .38/357 as it will be the least expensive to buy. It is also less $$ when ya load yerself.

Some like traditional calibers that were available during the cowboy era, others like the big boom and smoke, and others like something else.

Find something ya like and shoot that. Some pistols/ rifles are only available in certain calibers...

Have fun!!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Before you buy anything go to a few more matches and ask the pards there if you can try their 45LC or 44-40 or 38-40 or 357 or what ever else they are shooting. When I started a year ago everyone at my local was more than willing to let me try their equipment and I am sure yours will be the same.

This way you can make an informed decision based on your observations and comfort levels. The only other factor is cost.

As for myself, my son and I shoot 44-40 in all of our pistols and rifles. Neither of us are fast and its a nostalgia thing for us...we wanted an old cowboy caliber.

Boy are you gonna get a lot of answers!!!

The biggest factor is to shoot what you like....

Despite the caliber differences most can be loaded lighter so the recoil/power issue can be addressed IF you decide to load yerself.

If yer not gonna do that right away, either find someone that does and can supply the ammo ya need in the caliber ya shoot,

or go with .38/357 as it will be the least expensive to buy. It is also less $$ when ya load yerself.

Some like traditional calibers that were available during the cowboy era, others like the big boom and smoke, and others like something else.

Find something ya like and shoot that. Some pistols/ rifles are only available in certain calibers...

Have fun!!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

:FlagAm: Yep, he lives just down the street, four houses to be exact. Went out with Apple Annie and shot one of our club matches using some of my artillery and BP ammo to boot for his first match. All I saw for weeks was a big ole $hit eaten grin. Even came home with a bedingy in his class.

Jimmy, stay at your computer. Let the experts run the 650.

Chas B.

Is cost going to be a factor????

You can be competetive with any of them. .38 .44-40 .45

It may also depend on what category you want to shoot???

Say you want to shoot in Classic Cowboy. The .357/38 will not be legal there.

Price brass, bullets, for 44-40 and compare to .38

Don't get in a hurry to buy.

Look at some of the above. Hit a few more matches. Before you start spending.

Don't buy them just because they was some of the first ya seen for sale.

Wait. Pick what you think you really want first.

I did not pick the .357 and shoot .38's because of speed.

I picked picked .38's because that is the cheapest thing to shoot.

But agian. Not legal in all categories.

And if you want to shoot WB later. Will not be legal for that either.

Lots to think about before you buy.

I am new at this also,7 months.I had a 92 in 357 so that what I started with. took me a while to fine what I wanted but I shoot 38s P models and a 92 38s in it and a 12 SxS hammerless shotgun.I am 67 and wish I would have found this years ago.I cant get all I want. I stayed with the 38s because of cost,I am on a fixed income and they are the cheapest to reload. Glad you found this and have fun what ever you shoot.

Many folks are hung up on the larger calibers, and that's ok if that's what blows your dress up. However the 38/357 crowd is probably the largest group out there. The equipment is easy to obtain and ammo, (or reloading), costs are much more favorable than are the larger calibers. If you start out with 38/357 guns, you probably will always keep them, even if you eventually shoot the bigger guns some. Then again, if you choose to sell them, you will easily get about all your money back. You simply cannot go wrong with this caliber guns.

Ruger Vaquero's make wonderful pistols for CAS as do Marlin and Uberti Rifles, and don't cost an arm and leg, to buy. These are quality firearms and will last for years if taken care of.

Try some out at your next opportunity. Tere's really nothing not to like about them.

RBK

Welcome to the fun, Pard. :D

I did not pick the .357 and shoot .38's because of speed.

I picked picked .38's because that is the cheapest thing to shoot.

That's probably the prevalent reason that most folks go with 38/357 firearms.

I prefer .45 myself but it is more expensive to buy or reload ammo.

If cost is not a factor there are numerous options open to you but 38 are the most cost effective bang for your buck.

Howdy

I have always shot 45 Colt in my pistols and 44-40 in my rifles. I really enjoy shooting big bores, but that's just me.

Without a doubt, if you want to shoot cheap, go for 38s. I load 38s for Mrs Johnson as well as my own 44s and 45s. No question, 38 bullets weigh less, so they cost less. Same with brass. And you usually use less powder in a 38 than a 44 or 45, so that means less cost too.

If you want to shoot fast, you will probably want light loads. Yes, you can download 45s to shoot like a 38, but they really do not perform very well that way. If you want to shoot fast, and have light recoil, just start with the 38s in the first place. I wish I had a dollar for every cowboy who just had to have a 45, but eventually traded them in for 38s.

Willy, sorry, but 45 Colt far outsold 44-40 as far as the Single Action Army is concerned. Yeah, I know all that stuff about same caliber in rifle and pistol, but 45 Colt was the most popular chambering for the 1st Gen SAA, 44-40 was a distant second. 158,885 vs 71,391.

44-40 is a great caliber for Black Powder in a rifle. The reason 44-40 keeps the rifle cleaner has nothing to do with the shape of the cartridge. That is a common misconception. The brass is thinner, so it can expand to seal the chamber better. It doesn't so much matter in a revolver, soot is going to squirt out of the barrel cylinder gap no matter how well the case seals in the chamber.

Howdy

I have always shot 45 Colt in my pistols and 44-40 in my rifles. I really enjoy shooting big bores, but that's just me.

Without a doubt, if you want to shoot cheap, go for 38s. I load 38s for Mrs Johnson as well as my own 44s and 45s. No question, 38 bullets weigh less, so they cost less. Same with brass. And you usually use less powder in a 38 than a 44 or 45, so that means less cost too.

If you want to shoot fast, you will probably want light loads. Yes, you can download 45s to shoot like a 38, but they really do not perform very well that way. If you want to shoot fast, and have light recoil, just start with the 38s in the first place. I wish I had a dollar for every cowboy who just had to have a 45, but eventually traded them in for 38s.

Willy, sorry, but 45 Colt far outsold 44-40 as far as the Single Action Army is concerned. Yeah, I know all that stuff about same caliber in rifle and pistol, but 45 Colt was the most popular chambering for the 1st Gen SAA, 44-40 was a distant second. 158,885 vs 71,391.

44-40 is a great caliber for Black Powder in a rifle. The reason 44-40 keeps the rifle cleaner has nothing to do with the shape of the cartridge. That is a common misconception. The brass is thinner, so it can expand to seal the chamber better. It doesn't so much matter in a revolver, soot is going to squirt out of the barrel cylinder gap no matter how well the case seals in the chamber.

Driftwood Johnson,

Thanks for the correction. With regard to brass thickness of the 44-40, I've read about annealing the mouths of the 45lc will result in the same effect? Is that true or an urban legend?

Willy

I shoot 45 colt. I really like it and that's why I shoot it. I once bought a 357 blackhawk and had always wished I bought a 45. I traded the blackhawk many years ago and fulfilled my wish last year. Go with exactly what YOU want, then you won't regret it later.

I shoot 45 colt. I really like it and that's why I shoot it. I once bought a 357 blackhawk and had always wished I bought a 45. I traded the blackhawk many years ago and fulfilled my wish last year. Go with exactly what YOU want, then you won't regret it later.

I frequent the power tool forum of a woodworking message board and my standard closing remark to those hobbyists asking about which tool they should buy is: "buy what makes you happy" cuz that's why we do this.

Willy

Driftwood Johnson,

Thanks for the correction. With regard to brass thickness of the 44-40, I've read about annealing the mouths of the 45lc will result in the same effect? Is that true or an urban legend?

Willy

Yeah, it works. Probably not as well as using 44-40 brass in the first place though. 45 Colt brass runs around .012 thick at the case mouth, 44-40 usually runs around .007 thick at the case mouth. Tough to make up that difference with annealing. Using a really firm crimp will help too, as well as the heaviest bullet, around 250 grains. All that will build up pressure better.

Driftwood Johnson,

Willy

Neck size the 45 Colt and go with heavy crimps will do a lot towards getting rid of Blowback. Light bullets + light loads == blow back

Most everybody will tell you what they shoot. A lot of people will why what they shoot is best. There are no right or wrong answers. Each caliber has it's own advantages and disadvantages. If you are on a fixed income, buy 38 and stick with it.

If you have a little extra cash buy what you feel you want. It won't matter in the long run, because you will end up owning all the different calibers anyway. You will have fun no matter what you do.

Actually buying 45 or 44/40 in the beginning is not the worst approach. You won't be able to take advanage of light loads for the first year or so anyway. You might as well do what many have been dreaming about since childhood. By the time you want to shoot a little faster you will want to buy new guns anyway.

To me its just more fun to shoot 45 Colt then 38's. Not saying I might not be faster with 38's but I shoot these guns for the fun factor first and I like the feel of the big bore. I bet I would like 44-40 also but have never shot that. If doing it today if I went SAA I would be tempted to go 44-40, but if shooting Ruger's like I am at the moment its 45 Colt. My EMF New Hartfords that I started with are 45 Colt also as well as my 92 and 73 rifles so I am for the most part locked in now. I might find some day a vintage 44-40 or 38-40 rifle that would be fun....

Welcome to the addiction that is Cowboy Action shooting.

As others have said, if cost is a factor, best to buy 357s and shoot 38s thru them. That's what do/did and don't regret it one bit. But that said, if my financial situation improves enough I'd love to have a full set of big bore guns in addition.

If you don't reload now, you're gonna want to learn. I've found that it doesn't "save money" per se, but it does allow me to shoot more often for the same money spent.

Have fun, hang on and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

By far the most popular caliber is 38/357. 44-40 is about 5th or 6th. It is harder to load than the 38 or 357 also. Lots cheaper to load 38s. Having a different caliber for pistols and rifle can be done, but then you must load more than one caliber and change your reloading equipment back and forth.

I started SASS last year and dove in with 38/357. Without reading most of the above, I'll guess that these guys/girls have hit th technical and economical aspects of each cartridge. I would say, don't forget the social aspect. By that I mean, what is your current lifestyle?

Do you have more time (realoading), than money(buying factory reloads)?

How often, tell the truth now, will you be practicing? Or will you SASS shoots generally be the most shooting you will be doing. This is an important questions when factoring economics. Get a realistic round count for each month, year, etc., then determine your savings among calibers. You might find that blasting away with 45LC factory reloads are the way to go.

HOWEVER, you also might find that reloading allows you to shoot your favorite gun dead on, as you can change the load to suit your gun. I have never reloaded and think it would be interesting to customize loads and somewhat relaxing. I've prcied out the equipment and had my finger on the trigger. But, having teens and toddlers in my camp, I have to drag arss out of bed just to make the shoots!!! There just isn't enough time in mhy world yet...but it's coming...

Thank you to everyone who has replied. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I wanted to get your opiniona ans reasons for shootin what ya do.

I think I am going to look around at some 38's I am itching to really get into this more and that will suit me nice for atleast a long time. I might change things up at some point but I think that I will have plenty of fun with whatever I get and that's why I love this so much.

Everyone I have met has been great. Very warm welcome and understanding that I was lost at my first match but also understanding as I think I picked it up throughout the day.

I will ALWAYS be doing what I can to get to the matches. However, Young family that is expanding makes it tough. But that's an excuse.

Thanks again for all the input.

LRD

LRD

Get what YOU like.

Everybody else does. They like what they like for various reasons - some like .45 Colt, others .44-40, or .38 special, or .32 WCF,

and everyone has good reasons for their choice. For some it's competitiveness, others cost, some can't take the recoil anymore,

and still others like what they like for their own private reasons.

Once we decide what we like for our reasons, we're quick to share the 'Rightness' of our likes by explaining how "Right' those choices

are for you too.

I started with the .45 Colt cartridge 30+ years ago, and even though I have owned .357's and .38's, the .45 has always been my favorite

handgun cartridge. When I got into CAS back in '97 I stayed with that, even though it was obvious that smaller calibers are cheaper

and faster to shoot for many of us.

I still like my .45 Colt's, and see no reason to change for the game, I'll just enjoy playing the game my way and have all the fun I

could ask for!

Get what you like and you'll be happy.

Shadow Catcher

Be different. Be a trend setter... shoot that legal in all categories (except Frontiersman), the .38-40! It, like the .44-40 uses thinner brass, so it's a grand BP cartridge for rifles... and with it's slightly smaller boolits, it packs less recoil and most suppliers that cater to the cowboy crowd can get ya boolits. Ok, so you won't find it on every store shelf... and brass might be a bit more expensive and harder to find... but you can make it out of .44-40 brass, as it's the same rim diameter and thickness...

Nah, seriously, visit your local shoot some more... ask to try some other calibers, shop for brass, bullets and/or loaded ammo... figure out what you can afford... or if you can override that "need to go big or go home!"

Archived