SASS Wire Forum

shotshell sizing

Tomboy

Could use a bit more info, what is it doing or not doing? Hangin' up on what?

Knarley

Hmmmm.....if I understand your problem correctly, the round will not feed from the tube when the SG is actioned. My first question would be, can you toss one in and have it load without coming out of the tube (like most of us do is SASS)? If the round will load and fire correctly, then there's a problem with the weapon and not the round.

If the round will not load, then check the end of your SG loads to make sure the MEC isn't belling out the end of the hull when crimping. Recently had that problem myself and spent quite a bit of effort figuring out how to fix it. I'm loading on a different MEC, so I can't help you there except to say "Read the Manual." That's what finally worked for me.

Good Luck!

Chick

May not be the shell that is the problem.

If you do not use the mag tube often, sometimes the springs and mag tube don't kick out the shell as it should.

Also, if you put the shell in too far, it may catch on the lip of the tube.

Measure the O.D. of the case head on the factory then your reloads.

Also check the rim thickness of the factory to your reloads and adjust the sizing die as needed.

IF the case head "grows" in O.D. back the s/die off 1/3-1/2 turn.

IF the rim is thicker and giving bolt lockup issues. Turn s/die down about 1/2 turn to pinch the case rim some more.

Cheers,

LG

Since we don't know what model 97 you are shooting, ie C, D, or E, I can give you one suggestion. Check the cartridge stops to see if they are pivoting correctly. On a E model there are two screws that go in from the bottom of the receiver, check them for tightness to ensure they have not loosened and allowing the cartridge stop to not release or slide into the receiver when the action is worked. The screw on the left is usually the guilty one.

Howdy,

Sometimes my reloads (Win AA) won't feed from the tube. Using MEC 9000. Same gun will feed factory.

What to do? Thanks, T.

Tomboy,

There is a possibility of a problem with press final crimp cam adjustment. This leaves a flare on the end of the crimp that could be causing your problem. Since it feeds factory ammo OK, it very likely is a reloading problem. If you are unfamiliar as to how that is accomplished, just PM me and I'll detail the process for you.

RBK

Folks, the OP is having trouble with his reloaded ammo, it sometimes fails to feed from tube. He has no problems with factory ammo. Reload problem of some sort.

To the OP,

Does your reloaded SG shells goes into a SG case gauge OK? Is your reloader resizing the base to factory specs (shouldn't matter but what the heck) ? For grinds and giggles, reload the same type of hull as the factory hulls that do work. Does that do anything for you?

As others have mentioned, pay close attention to the crimping process to be sure it isn't squashing the crip and flaring it a little.

My thoughts.

Blastmaster

Archived