SASS Wire Forum

Bandoleers

Redbank SASS # 69108!

I have a question about using a bandoleer I was considering using one for shotshells due to some other considerations, but the handbook is kinda confusing.

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must

be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement).• Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop, and rifle/revolver ammo loops shall accommodate only one round per loop.....

• Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button."

In the second rule, are bandoleers not considered ammo belts? Can shotshells and rifle / pistol cartridges be carried and loaded from a bandoleer since they will be above your belly button? I realize it cannot be tied down.

Redbank

I have a question about using a bandoleer I was considering using one for shotshells due to some other considerations, but the handbook is kinda confusing.

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must

be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement).• Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop, and rifle/revolver ammo loops shall accommodate only one round per loop.....

• Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button."

In the second rule, are bandoleers not considered ammo belts? Can shotshells and rifle / pistol cartridges be carried and loaded from a bandoleer since they will be above your belly button? I realize it cannot be tied down.

Redbank

Bandoliers are considered different from ammo belts, and no they can not be tied down.

Bandoleers look cool, but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth. The few I've seen use them only did so once, then they switched to a belt or slide. I like the way they look, though. Especially two crossed Zapata style!

Bandoleers look cool, but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth. The few I've seen use them only did so once, then they switched to a belt or slide. I like the way they look, though. Especially two crossed Zapata style!

I also like the way they look. The main reason I am thinking of using one though is due to my insulin pump. It seems invariably the infusion set is under, or at the edge of, where my shotgun belt rides. My last match ended with really high blood sugars due to the set being pulled out. I'm super slow anyhow so thought a bandoleer would solve the pump problem and look cool doing it!

Redbank

Try the Tupelobando made by Tombstone Leather. This is the one that Tupelo Flash designed and uses. I have one and I love it. It works better than my old shotgun belt, faster and easier. It doesn't move around all over the place like most bandoleers. http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com/TUPELOBANDO.html

Try the Tupelobando made by Tombstone Leather. This is the one that Tupelo Flash designed and uses. I have one and I love it. It works better than my old shotgun belt, faster and easier. It doesn't move around all over the place like most bandoleers. http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com/TUPELOBANDO.html

+1 Having been using mine for over a year now and I love it as well.

A big PLUS 2 for the Tupelo Bando. I always hated shotgun belts, just WAY too uncomfortable. So I always used slides on the pistol belt. I have been using my Tupelo Bando every match for a year now and I really LOVE that thing. It is the cat's pajamas.

I used a bandoleer for several years. Because they must not be secured, it was hard to draw shells from it with any reasonable speed. I found that I could push the shotshells out from the loops by pressing on the shell mouths with fingertips; this was easier than pulling on the shell base.

That Tupelo rig, however, looks like you could pull 'em faster.

I use a crossed-belt rig now, with each holster on a separate belt. The top belt has my shotshell loops. I like this setup 'cuz the holsters ride lower for easier draw, but it does tend to restrict movement a bit.

I use a bando and have 2 of them. One is a commercial brand got from Cabela or some such place. The other one I made myself. I only use it with my 97, it is not as effective for SXS. It took me some time to get the exact movement right to pull the shells and load them. It does look cool but not fast if that is important to you. WW

I bought one from Tupelo Flash himself at the Convention last year but have definitely NOT fallen in love with it. My problem is that it does move around all over the place. Without being allowed to anchor it in any way, how do you prevent it from moving around?

I bought one from Tupelo Flash himself at the Convention last year but have definitely NOT fallen in love with it. My problem is that it does move around all over the place. Without being allowed to anchor it in any way, how do you prevent it from moving around?

One of the things I did was to load up the back of it completely. While this adds more weight, it did cut down on the movement. The only real movement problem I have is when I bend over to set up targets. It has never moved and caused me a problem during a stage.

I also like the way they look. The main reason I am thinking of using one though is due to my insulin pump. It seems invariably the infusion set is under, or at the edge of, where my shotgun belt rides. My last match ended with really high blood sugars due to the set being pulled out. I'm super slow anyhow so thought a bandoleer would solve the pump problem and look cool doing it!

Redbank

Hi Redbank,

If you need to tie your bandoleer down to keep it in place and away from your infusion set, I think an accomodation can (actually must) be made. Ask your Match Director and then inform your Posse Marshal. It would be good if he informed the posse too as folks who know the rule will not know you have a valid reason to tie yours down.

Regards,

Allie Mo

The problem most folks have with bandoleers is technique. If the shells are staged up and grabbed by thumb and two fingers and rolled out while securing the bandoleer with the palm, they can be quick. For a double, the shells are right by the chambers.

Have only ever used bandoleers, gonna stay that way unless I switch to a 97. That will happen when the stage coach starts running regular again.

CR

The problem most folks have with bandoleers is technique. If the shells are staged up and grabbed by thumb and two fingers and rolled out while securing the bandoleer with the palm, they can be quick. For a double, the shells are right by the chambers.

Have only ever used bandoleers, gonna stay that way unless I switch to a 97. That will happen when the stage coach starts running regular again.

CR

Hey Rick,

Why would you change for a '97? Hubby used to use a bandoleer with a '97 all the time.

Regards,

AM

Hey Rick,

Why would you change for a '97? Hubby used to use a bandoleer with a '97 all the time.

Regards,

AM

Only because of the quantum leap in using the 97. I would need to change everything to start a new paradigm. 97s and CR don't get along well :blink: Picture monkeys and footballs :lol:

Redbank

Redbank, I too am on an insulin pump and use a wide (3") gun belt and separate shotgun belt so little room remains for my insulin pump. What I've done in the past on cold days is to place the pump in my non shooting vest pocket side. Up out of the belt areas. Another trick I finally ended up with is to purchase a leather shell pouch for my gun belt in which I place my insulin pump. In that way my pump is protected, still connected and overall looks a part of the rig. Best of luck to you and our disease of diabetes. Smithy.

Archived