SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy's

Zeb Kingsford

Before I begin asking questions, I know the 1851's come in 36 caliber. I have two already. My questions are (1) are they any good and (2) are they SASS legal? I would suppose they are legal since the ROA's are legal and they do not represent any type of firearm. I also would suspect that they are lighter than the 36 caliber if they are using the same frame. Any suggestions, comments, aggrivations etc?

I have 2 1851 Navy Colts, both in .44 and they balance and shoot fine. 8 inch barrels

I have 2 1860 Army Colts, both in .44 and use them for Plainsman. 5 1/2 inch barrels, Love them. Just sayin'

Big Jake

My questions are (1) are they any good and (2) are they SASS legal? I would suppose they are legal since the ROA's are legal and they do not represent any type of firearm. I also would suspect that they are lighter than the 36 caliber if they are using the same frame. Any suggestions, comments, aggrivations etc?

1. Yes, they can be very good. I have a pair of 5 inch .44 cal '51 Navies that are very reliable and accurate. I've got 1860 Armies with 8 inch barrels that are as well.

2. They are SASS Legal.

With that said, my curent main match guns are either a pair of 1861 Navies or CH Rigdons - all in .36.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Legal yes. But somehow, they're like putting a Chrysler engine in the Chevy. Just wrong somehow.

+1

'51 Navy replicas in .44 caliber are a "gun that never was" just as is the Ruger Old Army . . . but they shoot fine, are match legal, and have a heavier ball for knock downs that a .36 caliber replica. I have a couple, and have them in .44 mostly to simplify my ammunition supply as I have a "bunch" of Remington replicas which are all in .44

+1 to what Wolfgang & Fingers said.

Biggest benefit in my opinion is the heavier ball which makes a louder "ding" on the plates.

Had too many hits called misses with a .36.

Gone to mostly 44s for CAS.

While most of my Colt repro cap guns are 1860s, I do have a coupla .44 1851s.

--Dawg

I have 2 51's in .44 caliber with 8" barrels, another with a 3" barrel, a 58 Remington in .44, and a 1860 colt in .44 caliber and i love shootin all of them. I know the 51's were originally made in .36, but i never let that hold me back. BTW i heard the "army" and "navy" designation came about from the belief it was "harder to kill a soldier than a sailor!"

I have 2 51 navy's in 44 cal. Before I got them I used 51's in the correct cal. The ONLY reason for going to the 44's Is the same reason as Dawg said. To many wrong calls from spotters. All in all I do prefer the 36's for everything except sass shooting. 36 cal is more acurate.

If you're considering .44 caliber Colts as opposed to the .36s, look at the 1860 Army. That way, you can shoot an authentic gun in the correct caliber. I have found the Army grip to be superior, especially for one-handed shooting. It also has the updated design for the loading lever. Your mileage may vary. Happy trails, Squint

The 36 cal Navy just feels right in my hand. I've had 51s in 44 but for some reason the original caliber 51just seems to be perfect.

Just my opinion.

Thanks gents for your opinions. I have another question, is the grip & frame the same as in the 36's? Just inlarged?

Zeb

Legal yes. But somehow, they're like putting a Chrysler engine in the Chevy. Just wrong somehow.

Then to top it off converting them to fire them fantastic itty bitty interesting cartridges. Had Happy Trails convert them and do Ruger coil and plunger hand spring conversions while I was at it. Jack kind of like jack up the Chevy and run a Cadillac under neath it. Man those 51 Navy's Shoot well with them Cowboy 45 Specials and black powder. Adios Sgt. Jake

Zeb The ones of mine are Pietta. Fingers could probably confirm this for sure but I don't think that Uberti has made any,if they have not many. The 44 cal.51 Navy's are kind of a Pietta thing. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks gents for your opinions. I have another question, is the grip & frame the same as in the 36's? Just inlarged?

Zeb

The 1851s in either .36 or .44 have all had the same grip frame. The 1860 has the longer handle.

Bearcat,

Yep, there's no accounting for myths, is there? Yep, the Colt's Belt Model of 1851 could just be shoved in a sailor's sash and carried around all day... Whereas the "Army" model 1860 needed a horse to carry it around. And it was called "Army" because of all the orders from Union soldiers who knew them Johnny Redbs were tough!

The 1851s in either .36 or .44 have all had the same grip frame. The 1860 has the longer handle.

Bearcat,

Yep, there's no accounting for myths, is there? Yep, the Colt's Belt Model of 1851 could just be shoved in a sailor's sash and carried around all day... Whereas the "Army" model 1860 needed a horse to carry it around. And it was called "Army" because of all the orders from Union soldiers who knew them Johnny Reds were tough!

They were Commies?

Dang!!

:lol:

Well I just ordered the last two that Taylor's had. I called them and they are Pietta. I was hoping for Uberti but that is not the case. One last question, do they take regular Pietta "Tresso" nipples?

Thanks for all the input guys.

Why I am going to 44 caliber is because I hit a target last Saturday and the counters called it a miss. Now I am not above missing a shot but the ball came back and hit me in the leg. But I did not think it worth it to argue. That is not my game.

Zeb

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

They were Commies?

Dang!!

Uturn... he's talkin' in modern lingo... "Johnny Redstate".

ts

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

One of the most accurate pistols I got is a '51 Navy...

'51 Navies (Uberti)

After gettin' my breathin' under control... and into the "zone"... the pistol on the bottom right has put several projectiles into the same hole on multiple occations. Only done that one other time with a handgun... shot Jeckle four times into the same hole at 25 ft. Unless I concentrate and take my time like that... normally I couldn't hit the ground with a pistol... if I fell out of a dam tree with it.

But... I always been a rifleman at heart... not much of a pistol shot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the pictures are .36 cal. Read the Dawg's post below... and just thought of it.

Also... a friend has some Pietta's in .44... they been shot thousands of times... and he claims they have always functioned flawlessly. But that friend is extremely methodical and meticulous in his cleanin' procedures.

ts

Piettas take Treso Nipple # 11-50-10.

The Possible Shop is where I've gotten them for years.

I buy 'em in 6-packs #11-50-106 for $31.95.

Treso nips + Remington #10 caps = 100% reliable ignition.

Possible Shop

Uberti never made a 44 caliber 1851.

Today's Pietta are the best they have ever made & are great guns IMHO.

--Dawg

Thanks for all the response.

Mr: Prairie Dawg: That is the exact order I just placed for Treso Nipples. I am a little concerned on the finish and springs of the Pietta versus the Uberti. Well if I am wrong about the Pietta springs and finish then I am wrong.

I have never owned a Pietta firearm yet.

They were Commies?

Dang!!

DagNab typoist! I'll fire that secretary first chance I get!

I was going to put in a plug for the 1851 .44 version that Cabellas markets. Good shooters and not that bad of actions, out of the box, in the two I got. These are the shiny short barl ones with engraving, and I got a pair of the 'never was' six shot '62 short barl Piettas at the same time. Since both versions have the same Navy grip frame, they feel and shoot very well together. I much prefer the Navy grip frame over the Army. I think Pietta has really gotten their act together on the Colt clones and I think their mix match ideas work well for those of us who want it 'our way'. Now if Cabellas will just bring back the short barl Rem '58 in stainless with checkered grips again.

Uberti never made a 44 caliber 1851.

--Dawg

Well......... Uberti never made a .44 Cal 1851 Navy; but they did make a .44 cal 1851 Griswold Confederate with 7 1/2 and 5 inch half round half octagonal barrels. They also made a few brass framed 1851 Navies - in .36.

I don't see any Chevy engines in the Chevy Funny Cars.....lol

I bow to the Master!

Fangers..................You Da Man!!!

--Dawg

Hey there PD. Did you make the Smokey Mountain Shootout weekend before last? I woulda; but it was the same weekend as Landrun in OKC.

Hey Fingers:

Couldn't go this year.

Conflicted with work.

Hope to go next year.

--Dawg

Then to top it off converting them to fire them fantastic itty bitty interesting cartridges. Had Happy Trails convert them and do Ruger coil and plunger hand spring conversions while I was at it. Jack kind of like jack up the Chevy and run a Cadillac under neath it. Man those 51 Navy's Shoot well with them Cowboy 45 Specials and black powder. Adios Sgt. Jake

Watcha got there, Sgt Jake, is a "hotrod Lincoln". The model A body makes it look like a pup, but that's the only bit of it that IS model A ;)

Y'all both need to come next year. We'll posse up and run all of the Skeeters out of Oak Ridge.

I'll be there as long as it doesn't interfere with Landrun again.

Fingers (what had a good time in Oak Ridge year before last) McGee

I'll know when I see the date.

Nice range, nice folks, nice time.

--Dawg

Getting back to .36 Navies, does anyone have experience with the Lee .36 cal conical

bullet in pietta 51 pistols? I love .36's but sometime have trouble with knockdowns

at some local clubs and would like to be able to load heavier bullets for those stages.

Was thnking about buying a mold but would like to get some feedback first.

Charlie

Hey Charlie:

Happy Easter to you & your family.

PM Hellgate

link to Hellgate

Here's what he said about them on another forum:

Prarie Dawg,

Have you tried the LEE 130gr conical for the 36 cal in your Navies? My '61 Navy (and Euro Remingtons) just love them. They "thump" the targets a little harder and knock over fallers better (as if we shoot fallers anymore!). The two lower driving bands are rebated a little and line up fine for ramming. There could be a problem with the '51s as they don't have the clearance under the rammer like the '60s, '61s, & Remmies do. The conicals do shoot a little bit higher than the balls.

See ya at Tusco in a coupla weeks.

Next week, Loquacious Loner is runnin a shoot up in Conneaut at the Monroe Sportsman's Club.

Loner's shoot

I don't know if its too far for you or not.

Spread the word.

He's only getting 10-15 per shoot, but now that Fred's shoot has vaporized, maybe this one will fill in the gap.

--DAwg

Archived