SASS Wire Forum

Speculative C&B Cylinder Design

Has there ever been a cap-n-ball revolver that used shotgun primers instead of the usual percussion cap?

Was at my soon to be closing favorite toy store looking at one of those in-line muzzleloaders that use the 209, then a '58 Remmie, and that's when the idea occurred.

Ever been done?

Some of the Brits use adapters to facilitate using small pistol primers inside a small sealed holder. Never seen or heard of anyone using 209 primers. Problem is they are to big to fit inside a holder and still allow a normal looking hammer. If you are thinking about boring the back of the cylinder and then just shoving the 209s in the hole, won't work because there will be to much pressure for the hammer to hold the cap in place when the gun fires.

No worries there Larsen. Got too many projects right now to even think about fiddling around with machining a cylinder.

In a similar vein, I saw a little parlor pistol at a show that uses a 209 primer as the motive force for the projectile. Think it used 00 buckshot?

Cap'n Cahill,

You must be living right because I asked the same question last year and was run up and down the flag pole for even suggesting such a horrible thing. Hell, I was even invited to give back my member ID and go back to whatever God forsaken place I had supposedly crawled out of.

I saw what you are looking for at Bordertown 2005. A shooter from England had a pair of 1858 Remingtons that had been converted to 209 primer ignition. The shooter was using black powder. There was plenty of smoke. I have no idea what catagory the shooter was competing in.

The 209 primers alone had enough energy to shoot the round balls with authority and would handle any knock down target set for 32spl.

As I said, this was an observation, not an endorsement.

Good luck with your quest, Castalia

[i saw just what you are looking for at Bordertown 2005. A shooter from England had a pair of 1858 Remingtons that had been converted to 209 primer ignition. The 209 primers, alone, had enough energy to shoot the round balls with authority and would handle any knock down target. It is a novel idea and should be followed up on.

Just look out for the frontiersman zealots who will ask for you resignation fron SASS.

Good luck with your quest, Castalia

================================

This would not be a SASS legal Black Powder category revolver, let alone Frontiersman. No powder, No smoke, not legal for any of the BP categories. It would have to be used in one of the smokeless categories.

I ran across this article by Toby Bridges on the North American Muzzloading Hunting site ...

With a variety of the primers, I headed for the range with the Green Mountain .32 in-line rifle and my chronograph. I started by snapping a couple of primers to get a little base fouling in the bore. Then I wiped the bore with four clean dry patches, exactly how I would wipe the bore between each and every shot. I figured this would give me the same amount of resistance for each and every primer popped behind the well greased patch and light ball. And for each primer tested, I fired 5 shots across the chronograph, then eliminated the highest and lowest velocity readings. The velocities of the remaining three shots were then averaged. And here are the velocities that were recorded for the following No. 209 primers...including the new "Muzzleloading Primers".

Winchester 209ML ..................221 f.p.s.

Winchester 209 Triple Seven ML.....244 f.p.s.

Remington 209 Kleanbore ML ........318 f.p.s.

Std. Winchester No. 209A ..........336 f.p.s.

Std. Remington No. 209 ............341 f.p.s.

Cheddite No. 209 ..................347 f.p.s.

Federal No. 209A ..................381 f.p.s.

So those shotgun primers can be pretty peppy.

Found that little pistol too => 209 Parlor Gun

Kind of pricey ... Cabelas lists them at $199.

Fella's I had to be the barer of sad news but I posed the question to the Wild Bunch because I wanted to have a cyclinder machined to accept small pistol primers n they told me that wouldn't be a SASS acceptible modification. While I agree it would shoot really nice you could not use it as a main match revolver. So I let the project drop. I guess we need to talk to the TG's n get them to push some'n like that. Now if you want to try one out for fun I'm game.

Archived