SASS Wire Forum

price of reloaded ammo

evil dogooder

Ok quick question for all you knowledgeable folks. I joined up as something my father could do together a few times a year.

Well now it turns out my wife, mother, father, and I are all going to be shooting.

Price was an issue before but now it really is as ill be paying for all the ammo. I plan to reload just am not there yet. Bought a few manuals and am reading up on it though.

Here's the question. Hown much does it come to per round if you reload?

38 and or 45? I have 45 revolvers because that's what my father and I have always loved but I'm thinking if its that much cheaper to shoot 38's then ill let my dad use the 45's and get a set of 38's for the rest of us to shoot.

Any help would be great.

Thank you all

Evil dogooder

The costs I have researched, are about .08 per round of .38. That's based on approximately $30 for 1,000 Federal Primers, $40 for 1,000 bullets, and $18 for powder. I didn't count brass as I've got lots and will occasionally buy loaded ammo to replace brass lost at matches. Based on that I am currently buying reloads at .14 a round rather than reloading. Depends on the value you place on your time.

Nice calculator Holden!

On an ongoing basis, 38s are cheaper to load than 45s, primarily because of the cost of the lead and the price differential for the brass. Of course, if you have to buy new firearms then you're in for a fair bit of money even if you buy used. A neighbor is just getting started and with two used Rugers and one new Marlin he already spent $1,500 not counting the shotgun or leather. That's a lot of reloaded ammo, even if it is 45 caliber. Good luck, it's not cheap, especially with four people shooting.

[quote n

ame=Captain Bill Burt' timestamp='1303419165' post='2168114]

The costs I have researched, are about .08 per round of .38. That's based on approximately $30 for 1,000 Federal Primers, $40 for 1,000 bullets, and $18 for powder. I didn't count brass as I've got lots and will occasionally buy loaded ammo to replace brass lost at matches. Based on that I am currently buying reloads at .14 a round rather than reloading. Depends on the value you place on your time.

Nice calculator Holden!

Where do you buy reloads? Is there a certain brand that is better then others?

I live in minnesota so free time is in an abundance. Its called winter. Lol but durring summer I have very little free time.

Thank you

Evil

On an ongoing basis, 38s are cheaper to load than 45s, primarily because of the cost of the lead and the price differential for the brass. Of course, if you have to buy new firearms then you're in for a fair bit of money even if you buy used. A neighbor is just getting started and with two used Rugers and one new Marlin he already spent $1,500 not counting the shotgun or leather. That's a lot of reloaded ammo, even if it is 45 caliber. Good luck, it's not cheap, especially with four people shooting.

Well the rifle I have on layaway is a 357 so ill already have one gun in the right caliber.

I was estimating just off of factory ammo prices but if I just bought used. 38 revolvers the ammount id save in ammo prices would pay for them within a year. If I'm wrong, and I probably am please correct me on this.

Thank you

Evil dogooder

Howdy Evil. .38 reloads cost less as do factory loads, so if you're buying guns anyway, .38 caliber guns will cost less to shoot. However, if you can share your existing .45s, you might consider jumping into reloading sooner than later. The investment in reloading equipment will pay for itself more quickly as compared to the cost of new guns and factory ammo

I reload and my's .45 cost about 12.5 cents each, or $6.25/box. My .38s are about 10 cents each or $5.00. Please note those costs do not include the price of brass. The reason I've not factored it in is that I've been using the same brass for the last 2 1/2 years. Hard to calculate the cost when the same 500 cases have been used for many thousands of rounds.

For an apples to apples comparison, let's bump the cost of a box to $7.50 and $6.00 respectively. That compares to $38.00 and $28.00 for Black Hills ammo at Cabela's. In other words, reloads cost about 80 percent less than factory reloads.

Looked at another way, if 4 of you shoot 200 rounds in a match, factory ammo will cost $152.00 - $112 per match. If you reload, your costs drop to $30.00 - $24.00 per match. A whopping savings of $122 - $88.00.

good luck!

Hi Evil Dogooder,

I buy my reloads from a local cowboy I shoot with. I don't know if he has the capacity to reload for cowboys outside the area, but I can ask him if you like? That price is good only if I supply the brass. He also sells just bullets. He does a great job! PM me if you want me to check with him.

Georgia Arms sells lots of .38 reloads for .22 per round and you don't have to provide the brass.

If there are 4 of you and in this sport for the long haul. Definitely consider a progressive press. .38 will be cheaper in the long run and if everyone is shooting you may be able to share some guns and and delay buying guns for everyone. Sharing a shotgun and rifle isn't that much of a pain. Revolvers can be more of a hassle. I'm still generating my return on investment and getting there. If you really want to save some money cast your own bullets.

Right now pick up and save all the brass you find and or shoot. Even if you don't shoot that caliber. I store up the brass I don't shoot and use it for trade fodder for stuff I want. I also keep a bucket for scrap brass.

My ADvice...

Get a Dillon 550, get all firearms in .38/.357, and never look back.

I shoot .45, and ANTETY shoots .38 ...If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy .38/.357.

...For an apples to apples comparison, let's bump the cost of a box to $7.50 and $6.00 respectively. That compares to $38.00 and $28.00 for Black Hills ammo at Cabela's. In other words, reloads cost about 80 percent less than factory reloads.

Looked at another way, if 4 of you shoot 200 rounds in a match, factory ammo will cost $152.00 - $112 per match. If you reload, your costs drop to $30.00 - $24.00 per match. A whopping savings of $122 - $88.00.

good luck!

Great means of relating the savings. Well done!

Well, my cost came to $4.48 a box for .44's I think thats reasonable enough. Deb and I both shoot .44's and enjoy them.

We've been in CAS just over 2 years and have collected 6 .44 rifles, 6 .44 pistols, and 5 shotguns.

I try to buy in quanity, (we last got our powder in 8lb kegs, and got free shipping and hazmat..

anyways based on the loading calculator above I pay about $3.25/50rd for 38sp and about $4.50/50rd for 45lc. We could save a bit of money on lead, but we like to use BearCreek bullets, and they cost a little more.

Reloading saves a bunch of money and actually I enjoy it.

curley

I hate to rain on the parade….but it’s over twice as much and then some in the real world. 38 lead is $27 a thousand and 45 is $42 a thousand. Once fired brass (I kinda’ think you have to include it) is $10 and less if you look around for 38 and $20 if you can find it for 45. 45 uses more powder as well…..

I shot 44’s for almost 10 years (with a long break in the middle…lol). I switched from 44 to 38 after my wife started shooting and we can BOTH shoot for the same cost as just me shooting the 44’s. I was called many things for switching to 38’s but unless someone is willing to buy my supplies I don’t listen to em’.

Add to that if you shoot once a month…..not a real big deal but for me two shooter’s every weekend!!!!!! It adds up fast. Throw in some lost brass matches too……

You are definitely going to need to start reloading with four people shooting. I usually suggest that newbie reloaders start with a turret press, but depending on how many matches that your family is shooting in per month, you might need a progressive. My wife and I shoot two matches per month (about 500 rounds total) and I am right at the limit of keeping up with my turret press. I guess that it also depends on how much free time that you have to reload. Since you will be loading for two different calibers, a press that changes over easily will be important.

Sharing guns works fine for two people. My wife just got her own pistols, but we shared everything up until then. One of us would shoot the stage early and the other late. The person who shot the last stage late, shoots the next stage early since they already have the pistols in their holsters. It works fine. More than two might be tough unless the posse is large enough to space everyone out.

I initially wanted .45's, but went with .38's to save money. There is definitely a signficant cost difference when you start adding up the amount of ammunition used throughout the year.

Another consideration in favor of 38s is the original cost of brass. Once-fired 38 Special brass can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of new brass. I get some of mine free as range pickups. Once-fired 45s are not plentiful (check online brass sources). You will probably have to buy virgin 45 brass or save brass from new ammo.

Though you didn't inquire about shotgun reloading, I think you will after the ladies discover how pleasant Winchester low-noise, low-recoil shells (featherlites) are to shoot. These can be reloaded at half the cost of new shells.

Enjoy your new, family hobby. You are going to have some memorable days together.

I have to agree that for reloaders the real money is saved in the cost of lead. In my case, I save about 10.00 per box (500 count) of 38 v. a box 45, or about 25%. That adds up.

Slim, we shoot at the same place. Rifle cases fly down range, or hide under a table or behind a door. No matter how diligent the pards are picking up brass, I lose about 3 or 4 cases a shoot. How come you don't? :rolleyes: An occasional old case will split in the loading machine or on the line. Between lost cases and the occasional split case I can't say they last forever, but they do last a really long time. A lot longer than my high power rifle cases.

Slim, we shoot at the same place. Rifle cases fly down range, or hide under a table or behind a door. No matter how diligent the pards are picking up brass, I lose about 3 or 4 cases a shoot. How come you don't? :rolleyes:

I lose brass too. But I crawl into places others won't, so I scavenge enough brass after the shoot to make up for it. Yes, I'm cheap! ^_^

I lose brass too. But I crawl into places others won't, so I scavenge enough brass after the shoot to make up for it. Yes, I'm cheap! ^_^

Looks like we are going to get good weather tomorrow. Betcha there will be a big turnout.

I hate to rain on the parade….but it’s over twice as much and then some in the real world. 38 lead is $27 a thousand and 45 is $42 a thousand. Once fired brass (I kinda’ think you have to include it) is $10 and less if you look around for 38 and $20 if you can find it for 45. 45 uses more powder as well…..

I shot 44’s for almost 10 years (with a long break in the middle…lol). I switched from 44 to 38 after my wife started shooting and we can BOTH shoot for the same cost as just me shooting the 44’s. I was called many things for switching to 38’s but unless someone is willing to buy my supplies I don’t listen to em’.

Add to that if you shoot once a month…..not a real big deal but for me two shooter’s every weekend!!!!!! It adds up fast. Throw in some lost brass matches too……

Wow!! I want to live where you do!

Out here, when I buy onine, I pay nearly double that - about $54/1000 for my 147'3 and $67/1000 for the 200 gr 45's. Unfortunately I do not cast so that is not an option at this time

May need to get some shopping tips from ya sometime :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Slim

I guess I have been blessed with some "diligent" brass pickers. I even uaually come home with more brass than I went with...sometimes not much help...a 38/40 or what have you..

I bought up a lot of brass when I started and as we went along shooting (thinking my brass was going to wear out much faster than it actually does..) so I have a lot of new and used brass in the wings..Top laffs at me. But I still have some of the 45lc brass I started with...I have some W-W brass that I have loaded so much the cannuler has been pressed smooth in the case wall.

I still watch for deals on brass and esp. for 44/40 cases for Old Top as his brass wears out faster than my 38sp/45lc's. I actually go thru the Winchester FeatherLite cases faster. (the new ones only last about 2-3 reloads)

anyways it is always fun to start loading fer the next match.

curley

Slim

I guess I have been blessed with some "diligent" brass pickers. I even uaually come home with more brass than I went with...sometimes not much help...a 38/40 or what have you..

There are a handful of "brass monkeys" at our range that sneak in front of the stages to pick brass before the match is over. If you're on the last posse, the range has been pretty well picked clean. They're not supposed to do that, but it's hard to control. Oh well, I come out ok most days. :)

Evil, go see John at The Gun Stop, he'll get you set up reloading with the straight info you'll need. Come out to the I4I Range a week from Sunday we'll get you you hooked on CAS.

I was panning on coming until I found out I work.

The people I met at the roundup seemed lije a nice group. I hope to shoot with you guys soon

Another consideration in favor of 38s is the original cost of brass. Once-fired 38 Special brass can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of new brass. I get some of mine free as range pickups. Once-fired 45s are not plentiful (check online brass sources). You will probably have to buy virgin 45 brass or save brass from new ammo.

Though you didn't inquire about shotgun reloading, I think you will after the ladies discover how pleasant Winchester low-noise, low-recoil shells (featherlites) are to shoot. These can be reloaded at half the cost of new shells.

Enjoy your new, family hobby. You are going to have some memorable days together.

We love it already my mom made one shirt already and is looking for patterns for the rest of the clothes

My dad and I used to be carpenters so we will be building our own carts

My wife wants to dress as a saloon girl so her contribution will be distracting everybody else

So its a family affair all in it to have a good time

Evil dogooder

Last time I done the math

Store bought 45 Colt 50 cents a round

Reloads with store bought lead, 10 cents a round

Cast my own bullets with free lead, 8 cents a round

Reloads saved my $40 per match

I was panning on coming until I found out I work.

The people I met at the roundup seemed lije a nice group. I hope to shoot with you guys soon

Well if you don't have to work on Sat The Granite City Gun slingers are having their Spaghetti shoot on Sat in Kimball.

We love it already my mom made one shirt already and is looking for patterns for the rest of the clothes

My dad and I used to be carpenters so we will be building our own carts

My wife wants to dress as a saloon girl so her contribution will be distracting everybody else

So its a family affair all in it to have a good time

Evil dogooder

Have your mother check out Buckaroo Bobbins and join the Carolina Belles. Those ladies have lots of costuming ideas.

Archived