SASS Wire Forum

Snap Caps...

Pondering using a couple of Centennial 1860 replicas as training aids for a new shooter in developing handling familiarity.

Wonderin' what ideas may have been tried for "snap caps?" I've considered replacing the nipples with brass screws, but matching the thread may be a bit challenging and would require bushings to space 'em out far enough... Gotta be somethin' simpler~! :huh:

Pondering using a couple of Centennial 1860 replicas as training aids for a new shooter in developing handling familiarity.

Wonderin' what ideas may have been tried for "snap caps?" I've considered replacing the nipples with brass screws, but matching the thread may be a bit challenging and would require bushings to space 'em out far enough... Gotta be somethin' simpler~! :huh:

I wonder if just removing the nipples would work. Or, a set of extra nipples just for dry firing. Just a thought. I am sure someone will chime in with the correct way.

Using rubber vacuum line plugs (cut down to fit of course) over the nipples works great..

http://www.autobodysupplies.com/an906asst.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I've got an old 1860 Army that I picked up from Frontiersman National Champion Split Rail.

It was his dry fire gun.

He just removed the nips and the hammer smacks the steel frame each time.

I keep it in my gun room and every time I walk by, pick it up & dry fire it with my off hand.

Does not seemed to have affected the gun in any way.

--Dawg

The clear aquarium tubing sold at pet stores works very well. Cut pieces slightly longer than the nipples, and dry fire to your hearts content. But do watch the tubing, it will wear out. The tubing also makes excellent cap keepers. Cut pieces a mite shorter than a cap, and insert the cap into the tubing. You no longer have to worry about cap jams.

+1

To the tubing ,,,,, I use Snowmobile "gasline" the brand I use is pink and easy to see when it needs changing ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived