SASS Wire Forum

OT: COLT 1911's

Primary difference is the STUPID firing pin safety block in the series 80 pistols. In a true Colt it can be easily removed and the frame slot replaced with a $5.00 part from Brownell's. Other firing pin safety blocks like Kimbers and Springfields are a bit more of a nuisance to override.

No longer germane, but the series 80 pistol also changed from the problematic collet barrel bushing to the more reliable solid style. The firing pin block was designed to prevent the pistol from discharging if the gun was dropped barrel down. Evidently there were some documented cases of the 1911 discharging when dropped due to the firing pin going forward when dropped at the right angle (barrel down). The extra parts in the mechanism are small and some find that they make the trigger pull harder or "gritty" or something like that.

The 80 series is just as reliable as a 70 series...some may be picky about the trigger and extra safety internals, but when it comes down to dependability, both are on equal footing. ;)

Speaking between the difference of the two: will the new Ruger SR1911 be Cali legal? :rolleyes:

Some thoughts I have seen:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/34460-sr1911-available-eventually-california.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The 80 series is just as reliable as a 70 series...some may be picky about the trigger and extra safety internals, but when it comes down to dependability, both are on equal footing. ;)

Speaking between the difference of the two: will the new Ruger SR1911 be Cali legal? :rolleyes:

Some thoughts I have seen:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/34460-sr1911-available-eventually-california.html

No, the Ruger can never be made Ca. legal, nor can any new 1911 unless they include a magazine safety, it is a new ca. requirment. It would have to be a special Ca. version cause no one else would ever want buy it that way...........Doc

No, the Ruger can never be made Ca. legal, nor can any new 1911 unless they include a magazine safety, it is a new ca. requirment. It would have to be a special Ca. version cause no one else would ever want buy it that way...........Doc

That's what I thought ~ too bad.

No longer germane, but the series 80 pistol also changed from the problematic collet barrel bushing to the more reliable solid style. The firing pin block was designed to prevent the pistol from discharging if the gun was dropped barrel down. Evidently there were some documented cases of the 1911 discharging when dropped due to the firing pin going forward when dropped at the right angle (barrel down). The extra parts in the mechanism are small and some find that they make the trigger pull harder or "gritty" or something like that.

Yep, the 70 series collet bushing provides an accuracy advantage but not something I would want in a carry gun due to the potential of a collet breaking off. But I do have a Series 70 barrel and bushing in a 1911 I built just for range practice/plinking that I've had no problems with.

Bucky

10 digits :lol:

OK I know I am being a smarta$$ but you got some good answers so I figured it couldn't hurt ;)

At LAST! Somebody with the right answer!

Muchas gracias, todos! I believe this is the info I was seeking ~ and I always enjoy a lighthearted response, too!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Shoot a 70 series and and 80 series gunfighter.

Ya can't tell the difference.

Details, details...... :lol:

At LAST! Somebody with the right answer!

Muchas gracias, todos! I believe this is the info I was seeking ~ and I always enjoy a lighthearted response, too!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Good that you are looking for smarta$$ answers...better than dumba$$ answers I reckon... :rolleyes:

Series 80 1911's aren't any less (or more) reliable than series 70 if they're working correctly. Seen more than a few that had issues from poor gunsmithing. (What is more dangerous than a gun person with a dremel? A gun person with a dremel AND a book!?!) :blink:

Likewise the "new" Kimber series II firing pin blocks that work off the grip safety rather than the trigger.

Collet bushings were never "problematic". Do the fingers break? Yes. Is it a serious problem? I've worked on 1911's for over 25 years and in all that time, only saw around three that had cracked collet bushings. One tied up the gun, one did not and the third was simply cracked but the gun shot fine. Is a problem that occurs less than one percent of the time a problem? You decide.

Just like trigger stops. If improperly adjusted or secured can they cause problems? Yes. Have I ever seen one fail? Yes. Again, a very miniscule problem compared to broked trigger springs in Glocks which I've seen now and then. (lots more than broken collets or trigger stops that don't.

Does a series 80 "always" have a crappier trigger than a series 70? No. Usually? No. Will the discerning shooter be able to tell the difference? Probably/maybe. Does it make a hill of beans if the shooter shoots well? Probably not.

O.K. Here comes the highjack....

There is currently only 1 semi-auto firearm made that meets the new CA requirements.

It is a Califronia made 9mm semi-auto, the FMK 91C1b.

Semi's currently on the list can be renewed and not comply, but of they drop off they are no longer legal to buy in CA.

A new level of STUPID in CA, like the bad guys care!

O.K. back to the original topic. The issue of the slop and grittiness of the trigger on the series 80 seems to be the focal point of the differences.

Me, I can't really tell other than the 'slop' which is not bad to me anyway...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Shoot a 70 series and and 80 series gunfighter.

Ya can't tell the difference.

Details, details...... :lol:

10-4

Absolutely correct

I have Series 70 Gold Cups and Series 80 Gold Cups..They both shoot superbly and nearly identically(both are box stock and incredibly accurate)...You would have to be very experienced in shoooting both Series 70 and 80 Colt 1911's to ever tell a difference just from shooting either of them.

Collet bushings were never "problematic". Do the fingers break? Yes. Is it a serious problem? I've worked on 1911's for over 25 years and in all that time, only saw around three that had cracked collet bushings. One tied up the gun, one did not and the third was simply cracked but the gun shot fine. Is a problem that occurs less than one percent of the time a problem? You decide.

Gotta disagree about the collet-type barrel bushings not being a problem. My series 70 had one. Ran well from '74 to '09. At which time a finger broke off (without developing a "warning crack"), jammed the gun tight at a practice session, and it took a hammer to open the gun. Replaced it with a Brown drop-in solid bushing, slight bit of adjustment on the fit to the slide, and gun shoots tighter than it did with the collet. When I get any other 70s, the collet bushing would be the first thing to go. Besides, it's a pretty easy fix, and almost simple enough for a caveman to do it.

(So simple, that if you run across a 70, it probably will have been done already). But, that still leaves me feeling the Series 70s are the best Colt has produced.

Good luck, GJ

The series 80 is the answer to a problem that happened once in 80 years. Therefore a serious problem in some persons opinion. The 1911 as designed doesn't discharge out of battery, must have the grip safety depressed as well as the thumb safety moved to fire. I'm sure the firing pin safety makes it safer but the 1911 has one of the best safety records of any firearm so why would it really need this.

Does the firing pin safety fail? Yes, it does with about the same regularity as the Glock trigger spring. Can you feel it? Answering only for myself the answer is, yes I can. The reason Ruger, a company obsessed with making the very safest product, is making a series 70 isn't because the series 80 works so dam good. Its because it doesn't.

I agree that the collet bushing is not a good idea and they do break with a life that varies but seems to run about 50 thousand rounds. Although to be fair I have run very few to failure before replacing them and have a fair collection of them around here somewhere. It maybe note worthy that Ruger is producing their series 70 with a soild bushing.

These comments are not given to despute others experience only to give my own experience that is decades long and includes many series 70's, 80's and earier examples of John Brownings wonderful pistol.

I have seen many collet bushings fail on Colt 1911's. Lost count in fact.

I have also seen the soild ones crack too. Maybe 5 at most and one was mine.

I'll stick with the HD solid style for a fighting gun ;)

Cheers,

LG

Aye Gawd this has been and interesting and lively debate. Peculiar how different folks have differing opinions and experiences regarding (dare I say), such a trifling difference. And yet seem to be so polarized.

Often, opinions are much like onions... peel back that dried, crusty layer or two and you'll find something that made the little boy in us all cry. Or maybe you're the type that sees that one can't have fajitas w/o slicin' an onion or two.

Let's see, from a purely production standpoint, Colt made the "Series 70" for something like a decade, and yet they've made the only significant alteration between the 2 for over 30. They made both the mdl 1911 and it's successor the 1911A1 for longer than the Series 70. Production figures for each? I don't have 'em, but I strongly suspect the Series 70 is the smaller, making it the reason some find it desireable over some piddlin' mechanical change. Anything mechanical is subject to breakage; if that fact of life is causing you grief, you might as well throw in the towel and sell all your labor saving conveniences. Whatever you're doin' in a shooting game chock full of mecanhical devices is beyond my ken!1

1 Just in case that was too obscure for ya: ken

Primary difference is the STUPID firing pin safety block in the series 80 pistols. In a true Colt it can be easily removed and the frame slot replaced with a $5.00 part from Brownell's. Other firing pin safety blocks like Kimbers and Springfields are a bit more of a nuisance to override.

Happy Jack, do you happen to have a part number or name for that? I'd be interested in ordering one of those.

Jack

FWIW: Don't disable any safety on a CCW/self defense gun.

Even if it's a "clean" shoot, you'll catch heck in court and the civl suit that may follow.

Respectfully,

LG

Allow me to remind you that we don't all live in CA. Some of live in places that respect our right to defend ourselves and our property. I've heard this tripe for years... And have yet to have someone identify a case where it came into play. (In the case of an accidental shooting, yes... but bone fide need to defend oneself? Ain't ever heard of it happening). Similar to the tripe aobut never use handloads for self-defense... again... name the case where it was a part of the proceedings.

I even had one County Attorney suggest that I ought not carry my 1911 in "condition 1" as it would be obvious that I was anticipating a gunfight... and he wouldn't defend me. That's ok, I'd rather hire my own defense if that was his attitude. Besides, dead men don't testify very well... CSI or no.

Happy Jack, do you happen to have a part number or name for that? I'd be interested in ordering one of those.

Jack

Here is the brownells info, and the link.............very easy to put in if you know how to detail strip a 1911. When I installed this part in my Colt xse, the creepy gritty charecteristics of the trigger pull WENT AWAY.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/avs%7CMake_3=1911/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

part number 876-011-780

Frame Slot Filler, each

Mfr. Part: 1911SHIM

5.0 (1 review) Write a Review

$4.99

Thanks for the info, everyone! Especially the differing opinions. They give me enough info to make my own judgment as to what is important.

Not certain that I am getting a 1911 at all, but this will help me make a decision if I do.

And the less-than-serious answers make me grin ~ what more could one ask?

Muchas gracias,

eGG

Thanks for the info, everyone! Especially the differing opinions. They give me enough info to make my own judgment as to what is important.

Not certain that I am getting a 1911 at all, but this will help me make a decision if I do.

And the less-than-serious answers make me grin ~ what more could one ask?

Muchas gracias,

eGG

Don't be silly Grasshopper. Of course you will. :lol:

It will allow you to keep interlopers off da lawn

Here is the brownells info, and the link.............very easy to put in if you know how to detail strip a 1911. When I installed this part in my Colt xse, the creepy gritty charecteristics of the trigger pull WENT AWAY.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/avs%7CMake_3=1911/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

part number 876-011-780

Frame Slot Filler, each

Mfr. Part: 1911SHIM

5.0 (1 review) Write a Review

$4.99

Thank you, brother. Just what I needed.

Jack

GG I have two 1911s tuned by the same smith, one with and one without the additional safety, they both have outstanding triggers. The 45 was setup as a match gun and is w/o the firing pin safety. The 10mm is a carry gun and has it so I kind of got the best of both worlds. Never shot them gunfighter but to me the work/energy/effort required to move those little tiny pieces ought to be so small that I would be hard pressed to notice it.

Archived